Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Remake Promo montage

<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 28 Jun 2012, 17:29

Remake Promo montage

This thread is dedicated to an idea of mine: a promo video for the KaM Remake. I have made a document HERE, where you can read an updated version of the plan as I have it in my head. This thread is for discussing it; if you're an outsider to this, you can still give your input here. If you'd like to contribute to the video too, you should send me a PM with your Google account (any Google service, like YouTube, uses Google accounts), and what you could do for the video. Then I'll also add you to the list of editors for the document.

What I need you to do:
Right now, all I need you to do, is tell me what you think the three, four, or maybe even five spearheads of KaM Remake are. What do you find so appealing about it? Is it the shitload of new maps? The new, more intelligent AI's?

Note: The multiplayer is going to be in it no matter what, so don't worry. :wink:

Update log (dd-mm-'yy):
29-06-'12: Updating the OP for the document.
03-07-'12: Updated the OP for the new goals. We need to know what the spearheads of the game are.
Last edited by FeyBart on 03 Jul 2012, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 28 Jun 2012, 17:36

Re: Remake Promo montage

I think it's a good idea.
And I would be HIGHLY interested in an orchestrated version of the original music, especially for my favourite track: Mercenary. :P
KaM music is so underrated...

Do you have an idea how to capture a video of a replay?
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 28 Jun 2012, 18:41

I think it's a good idea.
And I would be HIGHLY interested in an orchestrated version of the original music, especially for my favourite track: Mercenary. :P
KaM music is so underrated...
I know. His other music (he reochestrates video game music) can be found here. He is a very competent musician, and he's also made parts of an LP, but I think he never really finished one. The music alone, though, is enough reason to check him out.

As for the music, though, I was thinking of a more "thrilling" piece. Maybe Court Dance, Army or In the Castle?
Do you have an idea how to capture a video of a replay?
I have an idea, yes. I was thinking of using a recording program like Fraps or Snowfox Screen Recorder. They're both paid services, but I know a website where they "sell" it "legally" (*coughcough) for free. All we need to do is capture the footage and make a montage.

Anyway, would you like to help me on it? If you would, but don't know how, it doesn't matter, I could at least remember you and see if I could figure out something you could do.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 28 Jun 2012, 19:03

As for the music, though, I was thinking of a more "thrilling" piece. Maybe Court Dance, Army or In the Castle?
Lol I think Mercenary is actually the most thrilling of them all. Maybe Struggle is more thrilling, but unsuitable. The Army is used in almost every KaM video. But obviously he should just orchestrate them all so I can listen to them during the game :P
Anyway, would you like to help me on it? If you would, but don't know how, it doesn't matter, I could at least remember you and see if I could figure out something you could do.
When I have time, sure, why not. Hopefully I'll have holiday soon. :)
<<

Mulberry

Pikeman

Post 28 Jun 2012, 19:09

Hey. I like your idea. You can be sure we will help you with founding some epic moments. As long as we have stayble "top" players comunity located on this forum. We have allready had few ideas about videos. But the thing is that no one here works with Fraps. So we can find someone who can, you for instance and make a cooperation: we send you replays with some instructions, you making video. Personaly i can help you with montage in september, october when i would have time.

Btw, do you want to get some profit from this activity? Remake is kinda very much volunteer project as far as i know it...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 28 Jun 2012, 19:40

Yeah we still have a replay of some pro crossbowman lurking around haha!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 29 Jun 2012, 00:17

I think this would be a great idea, make a separate Youtube channel for it maybe. The more videos of the Remake out there the more people that will find us (hopefully). I'll certainly post a link to your channel on our website.
Unfortunately we don't have permission to use the music or game graphics so you can't get an upgraded account (which removes the 15 minute video limit and allows you to make money from Youtube ads) because Youtube requires that you have permission for any copyright material shown and I've heard they do shutdown accounts which violate this.

EDIT: I just read your post on the ideas thread, yes I think it would be great if you can use our official channel.

I suggest getting some of the pro players here (Mulberry, Florek, To, etc.) to help you find you some epic replays to use. It would be kind of cool to show the game as a "story" showing a little bit of building up, the attacks, and who won.

Record them in 1080p if you can :)
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 29 Jun 2012, 09:18

Tournament is filled with good games, which can works as example.
pro players
I really hate those words. :P
powah gamin! - trusted source of best KaM Remake replays!
Conquest of Paradise - balanced 1v1 map in the spirit of maps like Golden Cliffs or Across the Desert
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 29 Jun 2012, 11:32

Hi, I'll give the password of the official youtube channel to FeyBart, so he can uplaod videos directly on it, it'll be more active if there are two people to make it alive ;)
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 29 Jun 2012, 15:00

First of all, thank you all for the positive responses! I'm looking forward to working on the video, and I hope it turns out alright.

I have just created a document HERE, where the ideas I have will go, and anyone who'd like to contribute can send me their Google account, and I'll add them to the list of editors for the document (note: an account for any Google service can be used, to my knowledge).
Lol I think Mercenary is actually the most thrilling of them all. Maybe Struggle is more thrilling, but unsuitable. The Army is used in almost every KaM video. But obviously he should just orchestrate them all so I can listen to them during the game :P
Haha. I think it would be quite some work to do all of them, but I'll ask what he can do. I don't know him that well, so he might not even do it, but asking doesn't cost money, so...
When I have time, sure, why not. Hopefully I'll have holiday soon. :)
Thanks!
Hey. I like your idea. You can be sure we will help you with founding some epic moments. As long as we have stayble "top" players comunity located on this forum. We have allready had few ideas about videos. But the thing is that no one here works with Fraps. So we can find someone who can, you for instance and make a cooperation: we send you replays with some instructions, you making video. Personaly i can help you with montage in september, october when i would have time.
It's mostly finding epic moments, yeah. But Fraps isn't a hard program to use, and there's always the possibility of going... err... the "less legal" way of getting the program, if you get what I mean.
Btw, do you want to get some profit from this activity? Remake is kinda very much volunteer project as far as i know it...
Of course not. And even if we'd have so freaking many views that we could think about making money via partnership or Adsense, or something like that, we will invest it all in the project. But I doubt there's a possibility that will ever happen.
I think this would be a great idea, make a separate Youtube channel for it maybe. The more videos of the Remake out there the more people that will find us (hopefully). I'll certainly post a link to your channel on our website.
Unfortunately we don't have permission to use the music or game graphics so you can't get an upgraded account (which removes the 15 minute video limit and allows you to make money from Youtube ads) because Youtube requires that you have permission for any copyright material shown and I've heard they do shutdown accounts which violate this.
The time limit permissions have changed, I think. What we had to do for the other channel I work on, is simply give them a mobile phone number (I'm pretty sure a company like Google wouldn't abuse it).

The copyright rules they have, is mainly for making money on it, via Adsense. But I think they aren't very strict with these rules, because they make money on the commercials themselves, too, and they don't want to chase away users either. I think it's just that Google won't give you Adsense on the videos that have a copyright claim on them. I doubt that KaM has it's music and/or graphics copyrighted, and even if they do, I even more doubt that Joymania or Topware (whoever owns the rights) would go through YouTube, hunting for videos that show the game. These videos give them a little bit of income, even, since it encourages new players to buy the game.

But then again: The point of any community channel, and especially not one like this, is making money. I doubt we'll ever grow to the size where it's worth putting ads on the videos, and even if we reach that point, all the money will go to Krom and you, so you could invest it in the mod (and maybe just accidentally keep a few pennies yourself, if you get what I mean :wink:).
EDIT: I just read your post on the ideas thread, yes I think it would be great if you can use our official channel.

I suggest getting some of the pro players here (Mulberry, Florek, To, etc.) to help you find you some epic replays to use. It would be kind of cool to show the game as a "story" showing a little bit of building up, the attacks, and who won.

Record them in 1080p if you can :)
I'll try to get the quality as high as possible, of course. I'll also hunt the web for a font that looks appropriate. But first, I'll need and get a general idea, and set up of how the video will be organised. So, what kind of footage should I use? What kind of music? What should the atmosphere of the video be? Who can help me, and with what? Whenever we have that list of questions answered, I can go looking for footage, and that's where I'd like to have the players help me, and send me their most epic footage, so I can record that. When that's done, we'll go to the third phase, where we need to edit it all down to a well constructed video, and I think that's a crucial stage, because after editing, if you've used an element wrongly (like the music), you can seriously screw up the video, so we'll need to put much care in that.

EDIT: Updated the OP.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 29 Jun 2012, 22:00

Oh I wasn't aware that the time limit thing changed :o
It asked me to have only non copyrighted material the last time I tried to extend it. And the kam graphics and musics are copyrighted. ANyway, can you tell me more about the way it has changed ? we need to discuss this before trying to extend the limit of the official channel, so we don't risk anything.
I strongly suggest that you use fraps, it's easy, and perfect, because the video quality is really fine and quite light after being properly encoded.

I hope we can discuss about all of this soon !
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 30 Jun 2012, 13:15

Oh I wasn't aware that the time limit thing changed :o
It asked me to have only non copyrighted material the last time I tried to extend it. And the kam graphics and musics are copyrighted. ANyway, can you tell me more about the way it has changed ? we need to discuss this before trying to extend the limit of the official channel, so we don't risk anything.
I strongly suggest that you use fraps, it's easy, and perfect, because the video quality is really fine and quite light after being properly encoded.

I hope we can discuss about all of this soon !
I know, Fraps is a great program, but I can't get it to run on my computer, so I'm limited to Snowfox Screenrecorder. It's sad, but it's the best alternative. Just a little tip: If you use Fraps, you should use a program called VirtualDub to compress it. It's terrible for what it was designed for (capturing and editing footage), but it's quite good for compressing files, and they hardly lose any quality.

And what do you use for editing? Just Windows Movie Maker, or a professional program? I have a copy of PowerDirector, and it's really good.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 30 Jun 2012, 13:20

Ah too bad you can't use fraps :(
Well I know virtualdub, it's great indeed ! But I use the videos uncompressed on my editing software, and then the editing software compresses the final video.
I use Vegas Pro 10 to edit the video, it's quite easy to use ;)
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 30 Jun 2012, 13:44

Ah too bad you can't use fraps :(
Well I know virtualdub, it's great indeed ! But I use the videos uncompressed on my editing software, and then the editing software compresses the final video.
I use Vegas Pro 10 to edit the video, it's quite easy to use ;)
I don't know about Vegas. On one hand it looks really awesome and functional, on the other hand, there are lots of functions you wouldn't even ever use, and it gets in the way of the functionality. PowerDirector is really simple, in comparison. It is styled much more like WMM, so it's easy for newbies like me.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 03 Jul 2012, 13:07

Sorry for double posting, but I just wanted to note that we've set up the basics for the global plan, and we'd like you to answer these questions:
1) Do you approve of the font, and do you have any suggestions?
2) If you'd have to chose three, four, or five spearheads that make the Remake so great, what would they be?

Return to “General / Questions”