How do I play a LAN-game?

<<

Thomaster

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Sep 2013, 15:51

How do I play a LAN-game?

Hello,

I've re-discovered KaM a couple of days ago, and I read the KaM remake has fixed the bugs in multiplayer games. So my friend and I have downloaded the remake and we're able to play it offline. However, even though we're on a local area network, we can't find each other's games when we try to start one.

One of us made the game by going multiplayer -> make server -> make local server, while the other did multiplayer -> find server by IP -> connect. Both of us turned off our firewall to check wether that's the problem (it's not).

Are we doing something wrong here? Can anybody help?
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Sep 2013, 16:06

Re: How do I play a LAN-game?

This may sound stupid, but are you using the right IP?
<<

Thomaster

Peasant

Post 14 Sep 2013, 16:14

I'm using the number shown in the lobby (127.0.0.1). Is this correct?

Could it be a problem that one of the computers isn't connected to the internet?
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2013, 16:58

You should use the IP of your friend's PC, since the game (server) is hosted on that. And no, I guess you don't need internet for that. But not sure.
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2013, 17:30

you always can play on a server that isn't used ;)
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 15 Sep 2013, 00:01

I'm using the number shown in the lobby (127.0.0.1). Is this correct?
That's loopback interface, what you need is the address assigned to your network card.
On WinXP it's pretty easy to check (right click on your connection, status -> details), assuming the icon is shown in systray, otherwise it's a bit of explaining so I suggest using google and find some nice step by step tutorial with pretty pictures.
In case your PC is directly connected to internet (read: wireless/cable router, etc.) you can try some web site, like http://www.whatismyip.com/ , also you might try using console (run -> type 'cmd' -> type 'ipconfig /all').
<<

munge85

Post 09 Jan 2014, 07:15

Hey there, i unable to play LAN on KaM Remake. I get all the IP correct but error message "Room Have Reach Limit" how that possible? what did i do wrong, im playing LAN offline mode no internet i set the ip of each computer.

Please help me, really like to play this game on LAN
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 09 Jan 2014, 07:39

Hey there, i unable to play LAN on KaM Remake. I get all the IP correct but error message "Room Have Reach Limit" how that possible? what did i do wrong, im playing LAN offline mode no internet i set the ip of each computer.

Setting the room number to 0 in the Join dialogue should fix that. Sorry LAN games not very user friendly, we're still planning to make it scan the network for local servers eventually...
<<

Post 09 Jan 2014, 08:27

Setting the room number to 0 in the Join dialogue should fix that. Sorry LAN games not very user friendly, we're still planning to make it scan the network for local servers eventually...

ok i will try it then, thanks :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Jan 2014, 15:17

Hello,

I've re-discovered KaM a couple of days ago, and I read the KaM remake has fixed the bugs in multiplayer games. So my friend and I have downloaded the remake and we're able to play it offline. However, even though we're on a local area network, we can't find each other's games when we try to start one.

One of us made the game by going multiplayer -> make server -> make local server, while the other did multiplayer -> find server by IP -> connect. Both of us turned off our firewall to check wether that's the problem (it's not).

I had trouble with LAN a long time ago. If I remember correctly, I had to open a port in my router to get it to work. The port was just the "default" one, 56789 or something like that. Don't ask my why or tell me, "that doesn't make sense", etc. because I don't understand the logic of any of this stuff. I just did it and it worked so I was happy with that :P
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Jan 2014, 16:09

Hello,

I had trouble with LAN a long time ago. If I remember correctly, I had to open a port in my router to get it to work. The port was just the "default" one, 56789 or something like that. Don't ask my why or tell me, "that doesn't make sense", etc. because I don't understand the logic of any of this stuff. I just did it and it worked so I was happy with that :P
That's strange. Opening ports has nothing to do with LAN (since you're opening the ports to the outside world).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Jan 2014, 18:19

I could be thinking about a different game... now that I think about it, I remember I did open my Remake port when I hosted a game for an old release of the Remake so TS players could join, so maybe I am confused with that event :)
However, I know other games, like Anno 1602, need to have a port open in order to play with the LAN option...but again, maybe the option is the classic TCPIP/LAN thingy.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about :lol:
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “General / Questions”