Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Creating separate towns

<<

MrMew

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 19 Mar 2014, 10:09

Creating separate towns

Can I build in game 2 towns, like having buildings on 2 sets of pathways? If I can how?
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Mar 2014, 11:02

Re: Creating separate towns

Yes, you can... just build a road to where you want the second town, start building it, then cut off the connecting road by building something on top of it and then destroying that building.
This should interrupt the connection.

The two towns you get are completely separated in every aspect, with some exceptions: they continue to share army feeding, road building, laborers and serfs.
Not sure about sharing School training though... didn't test it.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Mar 2014, 15:58

Whenever it's possible or not I would advise you against doing it - while ware distribution would be limited to single town (road system) everything else (units) is shared - serfs would go between both towns (this may have big impact on economy), units will eat in both towns (or die on the way from one town to another) and if by any chance enemy will go in-between...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 19 Mar 2014, 16:06

Whenever it's possible or not I would advise you against doing it - while ware distribution would be limited to single town (road system) everything else (units) is shared - serfs would go between both towns (this may have big impact on economy), units will eat in both towns (or die on the way from one town to another) and if by any chance enemy will go in-between...
Actually, civilians will not travel between the two towns in order to eat, nor will serfs go back and forth if there are enough of them in both towns.

I agree though on advising against doing this, simply because since one already needs to build a road to the new location one may just keep that connection and expand through it.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Mar 2014, 19:50

Actually, civilians will not travel between the two towns in order to eat, nor will serfs go back and forth if there are enough of them in both towns.
Assuming you have perfect economy (full inn for once) and abundance of serfs this might work (in theory), at least until you give them some big "job" (feeding troops, construction), after that it would probably go south.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Mar 2014, 19:59

Obviously there is not practical reason for this. I'm sure MrMew just wanted to do it for fun, so there really is no point in arguing the effectiveness of it :P
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 20 Mar 2014, 00:04

Assuming you have perfect economy (full inn for once) and abundance of serfs this might work (in theory), at least until you give them some big "job" (feeding troops, construction), after that it would probably go south.
I don't see how feeding troops and construction should make things any worse than it would make them if it was a single town instead of two...

Anyway, just tested it: School training is shared.
Civilians trained in the first town will go and occupy empty buildings in the second.
Which means that the only thing not shared between the two towns is ware processing - or more precisely, the economy as far as serfs moving wares between buildings is concerned.
Obviously there is not practical reason for this. I'm sure MrMew just wanted to do it for fun, so there really is no point in arguing the effectiveness of it :P
I agree.

I wonder though if founding colonies and proper management of these secondary towns could be implemented and how much hassle would it require... I guess quite a bit?
And how much useful would that be, for example, in creating another new single-player campaign?
Maybe even one played on just one very big map, with your town growing into a kingdom over the course of the various missions... :D
Last edited by Esthlos on 13 Sep 2021, 14:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed the unneeded link
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 02:06

I agree.

I wonder though if founding colonies and proper management of these secondary towns could be implemented and how much hassle would it require... I guess quite a bit?
And how much useful would that be, for example, in creating another new single-player campaign?
Maybe even one played on just one very big map, with your town growing into a kingdom over the course of the various missions... :D
It would indeed be very nice, but the amount of code that would to be rewritten and tested would be a huge amount of work. Lewin wrote a post in the past about how separated towns cannot be supported in the Remake until much later, as the hassle dramatically lowers the priority.
<<

MrMew

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:32

Thanks for the help guys and I just wanted to know for the novelty. You can argue all day about how effective/ineffective it is but the only use that I will use it for is the separate economy so supplies aren't shared over an extreme distance disrupting the supply of food.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:35

Hehe, and our new member comes in, puts on us our place, and tells us how it is :D

Return to “General / Questions”