Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Killing unwanted units

<<

MrMew

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:35

Killing unwanted units

Is there a way to kill any unwanted units, for example a fisherman that has fished everything.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:42

Re: Killing unwanted units

Nope! In very early versions of the Remake, it was possible to do it for debugging purposes. However it was taken out. Many have cried out for it to be put back in, but the developers claim they don't like it for these reasons. In addition, killing your own units could be very abusive, as hungry units don't produce anything until they have eaten (serfs, laborers, and units being trained are the only exceptions). For example, say you had a hungry woodcutter but no food to feed him. You are penalized for your poor economy by making your woodcutter useless for several minutes. If you could kill him upon command, you could merely train a new one. Instead of making food, players would just make another gold smelter and use the extra gold to murdered units.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:50

So I have two useless fishermen forever, hmmm... Another thing I haven't quite understood is exactly what is the remake and how do you tell if you have it. I got my copy off a friend so I have no idea.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 05:54

Hm? So you do have the remake, but you don't know what it is?

The Remake is a fan-made mod for KaM TPR: It is a 100% reconstruction of the game's code. Only the resources (sprites, sounds) are reused. It "fixes" many bugs that were in the original game, has many more features, and includes multiplayer available through many dedicated servers. It is free for download at the website I linked in my previous post.

Again, the Remake is free, but in order to instal it, you must buy a copy of Knights and Merchants: The Peasants' Rebellion. It is available for only around $5 on GOG.com. It is important that you don't distribute the Remake to people who don't own the original game, as that is illegal, and such behavior can be punished accordingly (comes with a nice ban on the forum, too ;))
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:02

No not sure if I do and I don't think I do and I have just realised I've been posting in the Remake section of the forum, probably because I was just looking for a Questions/Answers Section.
No. I'm not getting the remake. Bother someone else.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:07

Well I recommend downloading the Remake as soon as you can. It's waaaayyyy better than the original game and is free :D
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:10

I'm pretty sure it's the orignal and I'll stick with that.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:11

Alright your loss.
But before you condemn it, check out this video showing the new building (marketplace): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20c0gUVg7gI
and maybe a nice online multiplayer game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V88X8zvej1g
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:34

I don't really like the market, it doesn't fit with this game, its too ideal for me and I believe this because one of the aims of KaM is to be self-sustaining.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:34

But...but the Remake! It's too wonderful to ignore :D
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 06:37

I dunno....
New doesn't necessarily mean better...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Mar 2014, 09:05

I dunno....
New doesn't necessarily mean better...
Nor does it mean the opposite...

Anyway, the Remake is KaM in every aspect with very few exceptions, just with added support for newer systems, more translations, a few neat new features, fixes and enhancements, new maps, a new campaign, and a map editor with a scripting engine.

The Market is not needed... a town in the Remake can do very well without one, since the trading prices are not too good.
It has been implemented mostly for those occasions where, for example, you want a scout to explore the map with but building all the necessary structures just in order to train that single unit would not be worth it.

Also, being the Remake free and installing itself in a different folder than the one where KaM is installed, it's perfectly possible for you to easily try it out and see for yourself if you like it. :wink:
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 20 Mar 2014, 20:38

Yeah... think I'll leave that, I don't have a very large amount data to download. You guys have fun anyway. So I can't get rid of those two fishermen?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2014, 21:37

Nope! (but maybe someday you could if you had the Remake ;))
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 21 Mar 2014, 05:35

-_-

Return to “General / Questions”