Multiplayer Lagging

<<

Laurent

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Sep 2014, 13:05

Multiplayer Lagging

Hi everybody!

Yesterday I tried to play Multiplayer for the first time. Now I joined a server, my ping was great, I marked myself as ready and the game started. I noted that the game ran a bit slow, but hey, it was still faster than normal so I thought it was normal (remember, it was the first time for me). After a short time, I noted everybody told me that I was the person that was lagging although I could not determine how this was possible. Everybody left the game.
I thought that it might be my wifi, so I changed to a different wifi (we have two wifi-networks here, one normal and one extended) and tried again. This time the same thing happened and I became a bit angry at my laptop...
Well, then I started asking around here and apparantly our computer (not my laptop) was downloading a lot of updates and claimed the internet connection. After I fixed that, I was not able to join a game anymore because people started to mark me as a "troll" because I lagged to game.

After a time I managed to join a game, I got beaten very bad but hey, the game worked!

Now my question is how I can manage to fix those situations faster in the future. Is there a way before the game has started to check if your connection is fast enough? Before the game started, my ping was great (< 90) but when the game started it dropped dramatically...

Chears!
Laurent

PS. I should start practising the builds I see around here... I got beaten very badly...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 14 Sep 2014, 13:10

Re: Multiplayer Lagging

Well you probably know how to Check the 2 important Numbers ingame. If you have at least 30 FPS the game should be smooth enough. So if you are really "lagging" it´s probably your ping, like you already said. There is normaly no way to check if your ping is good enough or not. Most of times you should have nearly the same ping ingame like in the Gamelobby. If you have like a 50 ms ping in lobby, but a 500 ms ping in game, that means that your connection has some problems (you should have a higher ping in a lobby also now).
HOWEVER Like you already said, if you play with new people that don´t like the origingal game speed (x1) it´s possible that you get a bit higher ping, because of the fact that the game is using more information/time.

Two interesting questions would be: Where do you live? On which server did you had problems?
<<

Laurent

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Sep 2014, 13:34

Well you probably know how to Check the 2 important Numbers ingame. If you have at least 30 FPS the game should be smooth enough. So if you are really "lagging" it´s probably your ping, like you already said. There is normaly no way to check if your ping is good enough or not. Most of times you should have nearly the same ping ingame like in the Gamelobby. If you have like a 50 ms ping in lobby, but a 500 ms ping in game, that means that your connection has some problems (you should have a higher ping in a lobby also now).
HOWEVER Like you already said, if you play with new people that don´t like the origingal game speed (x1) it´s possible that you get a bit higher ping, because of the fact that the game is using more information/time.

Two interesting questions would be: Where do you live? On which server did you had problems?
Thanks for your fast answer. Those two numbers are indeed known to me.

So I suppose there is not a way to check whether your connection can handle the game before it has started? I think I should use speedtest.net more often then ;) I used a Russian and a Polish server, I do not remember the same anymore (sorry!).

But now my WiFi is fast again, so I will just try again this evening. I hope game speed will be 1x, I really like the slow animations (feels like the old good TSK).
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Sep 2014, 13:51

First you should check that the problem really is your connection and not your FPS. If your FPS is below 30 (for more than a few moments) than it is probably part of the problem.

You can use http://www.pingtest.net/ as well as http://www.speedtest.net/. The problem might be that someone else in your house is using the internet (e.g. watching youtube) and so they make the ping higher for your game. Low wireless signal may also cause problems.

When the game starts there is a lot more data being transfer than when you are sitting in the lobby, so it's normal for your connection to be stressed more once the game starts.

Return to “General / Questions”