Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

AI players question

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 14 Dec 2011, 18:54

I'm not sure but this is very likely to be caused by the attack type used in the mission. The AI calculates targets the nearest building from it's start position (a certain location on the map, chosen by the person who created the mission).
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Dec 2011, 22:52

Thank you for the feedback Teyrn Leto! It's nice to hear something good about our AI when most people are like "It sucks!!! It doesn't work in multiplayer! It doesn't build anything!" :P

I'm glad to hear the balance is good, I made the missions harder than they originally were by making them train soldiers faster. I just guessed some numbers that seemed about right, but I was worried I'd end up making them impossible.

Yes The Dark Lord is right, they attacked your gold mines because those were the closest buildings to their village. I'm not sure why the groups would get smaller. Obviously they'd run out of barbarians, but they should still send the same number of men to attack you.

There is actually a bug with the AI in r2678 that I fixed yesterday (it was also causing a crash) which makes them allocate groups strangely and usually end up with a very large group at once place and no groups at the other places. I'd be interested to hear how the AI goes after the next update.

P.S. I'd love to see the replays :) I want to see what effect the bug was having later in the game.
<<

Teyrn Leto

Serf

Post 15 Dec 2011, 06:31

Well, I understand me and my partners' buildings got attacked based on their location and that of the enemy, this was something the original KaM AI also did. But my point was that they got attacked seemingly every 5 to 10 minutes to my feeling. :P

I will send both the replays when I get back so you can observe co-op and AI behavior. This odd AI behavior spotted in TSK 8 for your information. :wink:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Dec 2011, 07:22

Well, I understand me and my partners' buildings got attacked based on their location and that of the enemy, this was something the original KaM AI also did. But my point was that they got attacked seemingly every 5 to 10 minutes to my feeling. :P
Well I'd expect them to attack much more regularly than in singleplayer because I made them train troops faster. (I wanted it to be more difficult because there are two humans instead of one) But I'll take a look when you send me the replays :)
<<

Teyrn Leto

Serf

Post 16 Dec 2011, 07:01

I've send the replays, hope it helps. :)

Wouldn't it be possible to create multiple AI's with different difficulty rates e.g. ''easy'' ''medium'' and ''hard''? Where the main difference lies in the rate of responding to actions. Such as to an attack, or recognizing the need of aditional troops.

On top of that, would it be an idea to have different types of builder AI? Such as an agressive leather armour making AI. Or a powerful but slow and defensive iron army builder AI. These are just some wild thoughts and I'm pretty sure it will require alot of programming, considering there is not even an AI yet for building.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 Dec 2011, 08:30

I've send the replays, hope it helps. :)

Wouldn't it be possible to create multiple AI's with different difficulty rates e.g. ''easy'' ''medium'' and ''hard''? Where the main difference lies in the rate of responding to actions. Such as to an attack, or recognizing the need of aditional troops.

On top of that, would it be an idea to have different types of builder AI? Such as an agressive leather armour making AI. Or a powerful but slow and defensive iron army builder AI. These are just some wild thoughts and I'm pretty sure it will require alot of programming, considering there is not even an AI yet for building.
Thank you. Yes all of those things are possible but to be honest I think we'll need to write a completely new AI that works without any script. The current AI is useless unless you tell it where to defend and when to attack, (which is great for KaM compatibility) but I'd like to make a generic AI which works in any mission and figures things out for itself. (obviously this would mess up the original campaigns so we'd probably only use it in new missions and multiplayer) But that's a lot of work and we know very little about programming AIs.

Return to “General / Questions”