Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The map editor.

<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 21 Oct 2011, 10:17

The map editor.

First off, I have to say that I'm completely amazed by the work you guys have done on the remake. It's astounding to say the least.

Are you planning on expanding the (built in) map editor? Map editors are always great fun and I'd love to see more features on it, especially scripting options. If I understand correctly, I can make a map in the editor and then use Krom's/Lewins (forgot which one was the mission editor) external missions editor to script it, right?

I have yet to try a multiplayer match but judging from the popularity it must be just as great as the single player.

I'd really love to see a fullfledged selfcontained map editor :)
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 21 Oct 2011, 14:45

Hi Thorakh,
I currently am building my 5th map and I made the first 2 with the inbuild map editor, which was a true pain in the ass.

My second map was a co-op against AI with very limited scripting.

The answer to your question is...
Yes you can use the other editors.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 Oct 2011, 15:22

Hi Thorakh,
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes we are planning to expand the built in map editor a lot! Currently it's barely started... But there's so much to do in the Remake that the map editor probably won't be finished for a while yet.
Lewin.
<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 21 Oct 2011, 20:43

Ah it's a shame that it's not going to be finished for a while :( The current editors are so clunky to use.

What is there still left to do in the remake? It seems to me that everything besides enemy town building AI, some stuff in multiplayer (probably, haven't tried it yet) and of course bug fixing is done. And that's amazing just by itself :p You basically recreated the entire game from the ground.

God, I still remember when I played KaM for the first time when I was younger, this remake is basically exactly the same!

Whitebear, do you have any inside tips or tricks for making maps? ^_^
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Oct 2011, 20:55

The current editors are so clunky to use.
No, they are not. They work perfectly fine. I've been using them for years and so has everyone else. The only annoying part is swapping the data files around.

Have you seen Lewin website yet? It is full of missions made by fans.
In case you haven't: http://lewin.hodgman.id.au/kam/index.ph ... r_missions
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 21 Oct 2011, 21:40

Maybe I'm having wrong versions of Lewin's and Krom's editors, but they don't really work together well and the remake editor has no scripting or brush options.

I mean, you can make amazing maps, but it's a lot of work dealing with the problems.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 Oct 2011, 00:01

Maybe I'm having wrong versions of Lewin's and Krom's editors, but they don't really work together well and the remake editor has no scripting or brush options.
Kids these days :P Back when I in my day there WERE no graphical editors for maps and missions, we had to make maps by writing out the mission script in notepad and editing the properties of each tile on the map separately. (Not joking :P)

Well no I guess they don't work perfectly together, but most players create most of the map first then create the mission afterwards as far as I know so they don't need to.
In what ways don't they work well together? I think you shouldn't use them so closely, work on the map and mission separately. I realise its a bit annoying managing the files but you can leave them in your KaM Remake Maps folder and just use my editor to work on the script file, (.dat) and Krom's to work on the map file.
And yeah things don't look as pretty in the editors but they're perfectly usable until we finish the Remake map editor.
And yeah my editor might be a bit clunky because I wasn't very experienced then (I wrote it when I was 14-16) but compare it to editing the script by hand. You used to have to place roads by typing in the coordinates of each one, awful!
Lewin.
P.S. The latest version of my editor is 0.9 and Krom's is 0.6d, download here.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 Oct 2011, 04:26

Not so harsh, Lewin. I'm 17 and very grateful for your editor :wink:
Perhaps that is because I started back when the program was a little more buggy and much less graphical interference.

Holy. It's been a long time!
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 22 Oct 2011, 08:44

Hey hey, I didn't mean to demean the work you have accomplished :p

It's just that the editors pale in comparison to the actual remake. I realise it's not on top of your todo list, but KaM is one of my favourite games and I just looove map editing. The lazy kind of map editing, with all kinds of features and GUI's ^_^
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 22 Oct 2011, 15:19

I agree with Lewin and Ben, the editors aren't all that bad. Personally I don't see many ways in which Krom's MapEditor could be improved. I don't know about Lewin's editor because I hardly used it.
Indeed, years ago the only way to code/decode a mission file was with King Harold's (de)coder, which was pretty hard to use. You had to write everything yourself. I still remember how I was struggling with the large green town in mission 3 TNL, it was soooo much work...
Now you plan your town in a few minutes, copy-paste the script into a mission editor et voil?.

Personally I do not need a new editor of any kind; although it would be VERY useful if the map editor would be made following the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) principle. Some versions of Krom's MapEditor have very different shading. As a result your map looks great in the editor, but is awful in the game itself. In the built-in editor your map looks the same as when you play (logically), but since it is hard to use I'm still stuck with old versions of Krom's editor.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 23 Oct 2011, 13:46

I'm sure in time the in-game editor will be everything you'd expect it to be :)
<<

Thorakh

Recruit

Post 28 Oct 2011, 23:15

Forgive my past posts, the editors are a lot easier to use than I first thought (save for the file swapping and stuff)!

I even have a question! How can I make the AI take a specific group to attack a point? I have two horse units and three melee ones, my first attack takes the two horses to the storehouse and one group of melee to a point, but instead of choosing the closest melee unit to that point to attack, it chooses one the two melee groups that are supposed to attack in a second wave.

I tested it with the remake (if there even is a difference in scripting behaviour).

edit: nevermind, I figured that out.

Return to “General / Questions”