Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Ping on Multiplayer

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Oct 2011, 21:00

Ping on Multiplayer

Well I tried playing today but I failed to get into a game because my ping was too high.
The reason I write this is to thank those who were in the room. In other games I have played, the players are rude and inpatient. Those who I encountered today were very patient with me, and for that I thank them. I appreciate the kind, welcoming community of KaM players.

Anyway, I fear I will not be able to participate in the Saturday matches...
However, does anyone have any suggestions on lowering ping?

But either way, cheers to our community! I love it so much.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 21 Oct 2011, 21:07

-You can choose a server located less far from the most lagging players
-How high was your ping ? I always have a high ping, because of my internet, and I can play almost without any problem.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Oct 2011, 21:10

Mostly around 1500-2000, I believe.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 21 Oct 2011, 21:14

Hmm, I already had a ping of 1000 and played fine, Maybe if you play on a server less far (maybe it was really far) your ping can be improved.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 Oct 2011, 23:33

Well Ben unfortunately us non-European's will always be stuck with higher pings :P
Some things to remember:
- Pings are higher in the KaM Remake than other games. I think this might be because we're using TCP, and/or because our networking is not threaded. (yet)
- High pings are not such a problem. In most games you would NEVER consider playing with a ping of 1000, but in the Remake I do it all the time and it really doesn't impact on gameplay that much. There's a delay when giving orders but you get used to it and stop noticing it.
- Pings are usually higher in the lobby than when you start the game. I think this is because while the game is running you are sending more data more regularly, so it holds the connection open.
- You could have probably played with 1500-2000 ping as long as everyone else on the server had ping < 1000. We programmed it to work with a maximum round trip of 3200, so the sum of the two highest pings must be less than that
- The ping calculation in the server selection screen often is often lower or higher than your ping will be when you join the server

I suggest you try joining a few different servers and starting a game with people to see how much your ping drops after starting and whether it is playable. If you want to test with me jump on the webchat on the KaM Remake website, I'm usually on that when I'm at my computer.

Oh and a question: Your internet connection isn't satellite is it? Because that would give you a massive ping.

Ways to lower your ping:
- Try different servers
- Get a faster/better quality internet connection
- Try playing on a faster computer (because networking isn't threaded)
- Migrate to Europe :P

Give it a try even with your large ping, I think you'll find it manages it better than you'd think. Most players tolerate playing with me and my ping is usually 800-1200.
Lewin.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 22 Oct 2011, 04:32

Yes, in my secluded area of the USA (no, it's not all one big city :roll:), I have satellite internet. I can't play right now. Maybe tomorrow (which would be Saturday...)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 Oct 2011, 05:30

Ahh that explains it then. You still might be able to play, it's worth trying. But yeah on a satellite connection your ping isn't going to get any better than that. If you are on a server where the other players have good pings then I reckon it would work. As I said, the maximum round trip must be less than 3200 at the moment.
We'll try it sometime :)
<<

Chimerae

Laborer

Post 23 Oct 2011, 19:13

I dont have pings of 1000+, but still theycare amazingly high. I live in holland, and even with the dutch servers i have a ping of 300-500. In other games i only have 30-60. It's very good playable though, since kam doest require 'tenth-of-second-decisions' :wink:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Oct 2011, 20:35

i played a game at my grandparent's house (they have cable internet), and I'm sad to say I met the first rude person that plays KaM. Sad day :cry:
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Oct 2011, 21:04

Really? What happened?
I have always considered KaM community to be among the most friendly ones.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 23 Oct 2011, 21:05

Pings are high in the Remake compared to other games because our networking is not threaded and we use TCP which will always be a bit slower (I think most other games use UDP, but I'm not entirely sure) At least those are my theories. But ping really doesn't matter than much in KaM. I believe you could still play with 2000ms ping, although controlling troops would become more difficult.

Yes Ben, sadly there are rude and mean people who play KaM online, I've met some myself. This will be the case in any online community. I'd just recommend avoiding them where possible. Open your own lobby (I mean join one with 0 players) if they are being mean. Others will join you.
Lewin.
<<

pavlos

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 24 Oct 2011, 15:35

Pings are high in the Remake compared to other games because our networking is not threaded and we use TCP which will always be a bit slower (I think most other games use UDP, but I'm not entirely sure) At least those are my theories. But ping really doesn't matter than much in KaM. I believe you could still play with 2000ms ping, although controlling troops would become more difficult.

Yes Ben, sadly there are rude and mean people who play KaM online, I've met some myself. This will be the case in any online community. I'd just recommend avoiding them where possible. Open your own lobby (I mean join one with 0 players) if they are being mean. Others will join you.
Lewin.
Hi all... Yes sir! You are right! many people are SOOO "RUDE" and I meet them FACE TO FACE! They speak very bad, some of them are so racism becoz am greek... SOOO? i talk them "We are all the same" and this person person "kick" me? i try rejoin <<I>> and he kick me again...Why they do this? We Greeks have poor economy :( and our politics are... Am so sorry for this... are a BIG idiots!!!... ME? am no racist i dont care IF someone is black yellow red or bleu OR whatever :evil: :evil: :evil: We are ALL PEOPLE! SO STOP racism! Please! for the Gods sake!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards...With all respect... pavlos
InGameName Pavlos...
And My Fellows and Clan Members... Anestis,Xristos,Giorgos,Mixalis,Dimitri Dragovich,Michael Vivanco,CristinaJP,
Our ClanTag: G.R = it means Greek Rebels
I dont Recrut... For My Personal Reasons Sorry...
Do not judge to be judged not| Μακεδόνες Τιτάνες
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 24 Oct 2011, 17:05

I hope that people don't take too much personal but when someone says he will be back in 5min and then stays away for +20min and keeps us waiting, I'd not like it and play without him.

And Pavlos, THEY speak very bad? I'd say that we all start learning Polish because there are so many Polish players that it could be easier for us to learn polish to get the whole bunch of them to learn English.

I am Dutch okay, many people think we Dutches are continuously high or stoned and we spend all our money on whores.
Often people say that I shouldn't go gaming when I am stoned while they don't know me(BTW, I am 16).
If anybody says that, I am fine with that. I have been in Amsterdam on a school trip. That one city is pretty messed up, but that doesn't apply to all Dutches.

So if I say that you lazy ass Greeks should start working and pay your taxes then please don't take that as a personal offense but do realize that there are people that cause your country to drag other European countries down.
<<

pavlos

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 24 Oct 2011, 17:42

:D Ok sir i listen your advice :arrow: Thanks for support anway :) :) :)
Do not judge to be judged not| Μακεδόνες Τιτάνες
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 25 Oct 2011, 06:32

Unfortunately this will happen in any online community. My advice is to avoid/ignore these people and don't get involved. Don't give them pleasure by taking offence. Keep your reputation clean by not insulting them back or reacting. Once this starts to take off more we might see clans, password protected lobbies, and matches organised between people who know each other and are fun to play with.
There is a difference between a harmless joke and an insult. If Pavlos was running out of food I might say "Looks like the Greek economy is struggling again :D" as a joke, which is very different to personally insulting him because of his race by calling him a lazy Greek or something. Countries have things they are known for, people ask me whether I ride kangaroos and wrestle crocodiles, but that's not racism it's just a joke.

Return to “General / Questions”