Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Saved games

<<

CuDi

Scout

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Oct 2011, 17:49

Saved games

Just curious, can I transfer my save files from my copy of KaM to the re-make? I've got quite a few saves I wouldn't mind carrying over.
(BarbariansRule)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 01 Nov 2011, 00:18

No you can't. You can't even use save files between different versions of the Remake as the format is constantly changing as we add new features and restructure the code.
I don't think anyone has tried to decode the KaM save files. I'd guess they do something similar to us, basically dumping the properties of every object in the game in sequential order, including the map etc. So we'd need to know a lot about the structure of their code in order to load it.
<<

CuDi

Scout

Post 01 Nov 2011, 14:53

Ah okay. I honestly prefer playing the demo much more over my copy! The control over your soldiers is so much better.. Although on some of the missions the ai acts a little funky. I'm not sure if that's because that is incomplete or if it's because you have recoded it.
(BarbariansRule)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Nov 2011, 21:16

Ah okay. I honestly prefer playing the demo much more over my copy! The control over your soldiers is so much better.. Although on some of the missions the ai acts a little funky. I'm not sure if that's because that is incomplete or if it's because you have recoded it.
Probably both :P
<<

CuDi

Scout

Post 01 Nov 2011, 21:45

Ah I figured. Well either way I like it. Music and sounds seem remastered, as well as the colors. I have countless suggestions and ideas. Shall I just email them to you?
(BarbariansRule)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Nov 2011, 22:19

We haven't actually "remastered" anything, but we used high quality where we could. For example:
- The music is a high quality 192kbps MP2 rip from the TSK CD (these are the ones that will be used in SR3) TPR only included 64kbps (or was it 128?) MP2 files, so they naturally sounded awful.
- The voices use the high quality ones from TSK, not the compressed ones from TPR
- Our sound system is 3D, (sounds are played in stereo according to their location) KaM just played the sounds in mono
- KaM was using a 256 color palette, we're using full RGB (although the original sprites are obviously still only in 256 colors of course)

Please write your ideas on the forum where everyone can comment on them etc. If you email them to me they'll probably be forgotten and lost in my mass of emails.
Lewin.
<<

CuDi

Scout

Post 01 Nov 2011, 22:37

Okay, excuse me for the in-corrections.
Please write your ideas on the forum where everyone can comment on them etc. If you email them to me they'll probably be forgotten and lost in my mass of emails.
Lewin.
Okay. I'll probably post a few in the next few hours. I want to gather them because I have them written down on a few separate pieces of paper scattered in my desk somewhere.
(BarbariansRule)

Return to “General / Questions”