Lost in the Sands 2p

<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Sep 2012, 02:18

Lost in the Sands 2p

Hello people,

Take a look at my latest map. It's a map for only 2 players. I know there are a few 2p maps included in the Remake but I think they are all too small so I decided it was time to make one myself.

Here are some pictures of the map in progress:
This was about after one hour of work on the map. I tried a couple of different sizes but 160x80 tiles turned out to be best. I've first placed 2 storehouses and worked from there. Then added the terrain and a lake to seperate the players. I also added stone.

After about 3 hours I changed the terrain a bit and placed the resources where I wanted them to be. The idea was to have it all close (but not much to start with).

After 5 hours or so I finished to mountains on the right side of the map.

When I made this screen (after about 9 hours) the map was almost finished. Done all elevation and added trees and details to the map.

This screen shows me playtesting the map (80 mins ingame) to see if it worked the way I wanted it. After playing it 3 times I changed some minor things and rebalanced the map where needed. Because this is a medium sized map I only worked on it for a total of 13 hours (a huge difference with the XL sized maps).

The downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/?cdbhz6wfib1bbc1

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 12 Sep 2012, 03:55

Re: Lost in the Sands 2p

Nice work, I added it :)
Interesting to see how the map comes to life as you work on it.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 Sep 2012, 12:46

The map is glitched, first things first you cant start a game with the files provided, also when opened it is named untiteled.
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Mulberry

Pikeman

Post 13 Sep 2012, 12:47

The map is glitched, first things first you cant start a game with the files provided, also when opened it is named unknown.
I have the same problem.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 13 Sep 2012, 13:37

The map is glitched, first things first you cant start a game with the files provided, also when opened it is named untiteled.
Deleting the .mi file solved that for me, .mi files do not need to be distributed because they are just a cache to make scanning maps faster, the game generates them if they're missing. It's always safe to delete a .mi file.
For some reason in this case the .mi file was called "Untitled" instead of Lost in the Sands. Possibly To made the map as being called Untitled then renamed all the files to Lost in the Sands (including the .mi) which meant the cache was not updated, so it kept the old name.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Sep 2012, 13:55

euhm, I don't really know what caused the error. Yes, the map was called untitled till I've changed the name. But I see both of you play a game now, so I assume it's solved somehow. Any ideas Lewin? BTW, some time ago Mully send me a sketch of a 2p map. I'm not saying this map looks like it at all but I used some of his suggestions to create this map, like that you need to defend your town from 2 sides and both players have a ramp they can use to their advantage when needed. I remember when playing the Remake in the beginning I only played 2p maps, actually we (me and Fu) only played horseshoe since that was the only decent map available. I think most people who are new to the remake start this way, playing only with a friend. That's why I made this map for beginners. So I didn't want it to be a too difficult map to play. After playing it a few times I found out it was not easy to finish a full build and have towers up on 2 sides of your town so I've added some more resources and more serfs and builders to start with.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Sep 2012, 13:57

Ah, typing at the same time... Lewin, can you fix this or should I provide a new link?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 13 Sep 2012, 14:08

Ah, typing at the same time... Lewin, can you fix this or should I provide a new link?
Well it won't be a problem in the next release since we don't distribute .mi files with the release, so you can provide a new link if you want people to download it from here, but I don't need it myself.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 Sep 2012, 15:19

Ill provide you with replay and suggestions later on.
so far I think it is a wonderful map after playing it myself.
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!

Return to “Map Design”