Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Barbarian Territory (campaign)- Update 4-6

<<

Gwilym

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 22 May 2013, 09:50

Re: The Barbarian Territory

I don´t have the RC yet, the error occurs because I have an older version...
that´s what I make of the answer Vas posted in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1506&start=45
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 22 May 2013, 10:31

Hey, I have tested your campaign now also.
I must say you did a good job. It could be implemented to the Remake for sure, when the Remake team wants to have it in their collection. Only some things, that don´t look that profressional and beauty:

-Well the big Startingmap with the cutted out places :P
-Completly no messages in games, which is actualy bad, because the player "doesn´t know what to do" really.
Just an example: Mission 1 looks like TPR01(from the style of playing) and in TPR01 you get a message like after 05 sec.
that you should help your allies. This is missed for me in your campaign. The player doesnt get any hints, what to do
-Some roads are looking ugly
-I would add some "unnecesary buildings" to mission 01, like bakery or sth similar, because your starting castle looks little
bit.... small and serfs havent really a job :mrgreen:
(-No Translations)
And one question. Have you extra done it that way, that like in mission02/03 the enemy has ONLY lances and bowmen? :D Maybe you wanted it extra that way, because of the story or whatever, but it looks better when the enemy has also some other troops, because its really easy also to win against him,when you know "making only axes/milita" will be the easiest way to win :D
Btw I only tried 03 2times, so maybe its good balanced, but I really have no clue how you could win this with your only starting troops, THAT MANY BOWMEN :O
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 May 2013, 12:40

I agree with most of pawel's points, also:
- I think the terrain quality could be improved a fair bit (especially elevation, often the walls look completely flat)
- Try to make the large grassy areas more interesting by using special grass tiles. Take a look at The Dark Lord's maps and the original KaM maps for examples. Currently massive areas of most maps are just plain grass which looks uninteresting.
- Some mountains are too flat (mission 5 especially)
- The first mission should maybe have more of a background story in the briefing, it seems out of context
- I like the idea of the dam :)

We're certainly interested in including it in the Remake in the future if it's balanced and people like it, but the terrain quality would need to improve quite a bit.
Keep up the good work :)
<<

Islar

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 23 May 2013, 16:58

thanks for the feedbacks

i on it to change it. Also i will add some messages to tell you what to do.
<<

Vas

Rogue

Post 24 May 2013, 11:30

I just had a look to your campaign and I must say that I really like it.
The maps have their own style. Cool mountains and new to me are the palms on grassland.. but it looks pretty good. I have got associations with Maya ruins : )
- The first mission should maybe have more of a background story in the briefing, it seems out of context
I agree.. (In TSK and TPR the first briefing is also very thin and inaccurate :D)
<<

Islar

Pikeman

Post 25 May 2013, 18:02

Re: The Barbarian Territory - Update 25-5

Update 25-5

TBT01
- New campaign message
- Special gras tiles
- Messages in the game
- Elevation/items inproved

TBT02
- The enemy will attack with bowmen, axes and lances
- The enemy will equip army faster
- The enemy who defend the city will not come when they attack (if not in range)
- Messages in the game

TBT03
- Messages in the game

TBT04
- The enemy will equip army faster
- The enemy who defend the city will not come when they attack (if not in range)
- Messages in the game

TBT05
- The enemy and allie will equip army faster
- Messages in the game

TBT06
- The allie will equip army faster
- Messages in the game

I must say i don't know if the next maps have to inprove. So if you have played one of the next maps please let my know what i have to change or what already is good.
This will help my to make the future maps way better :D
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 25 May 2013, 18:29

Update 25-5I must say i don't know if the next maps have to inprove. So if you have played one of the next maps please let my know what i have to change or what already is good.
This will help my to make the future maps way better :D
that is a dangerous statement you make, you will know what i mean i due time :P
i will test the maps soon and provide gameplay feedback :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Kungen

Blacksmith

Post 25 May 2013, 19:52

Great another sp campaign, love it, great maps anyway dude! keep it up!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 26 May 2013, 06:27

Good improvements. More suggestions:
- The map on the briefing screen doesn't look great with the sharp edges. I'd suggest fading the edges into the background or putting black around them (like it is on the minimap).
- Do you have permission to use the background scroll on the briefing map? It looks a bit pixely anyway. You could actually just leave the background of your map transparent and the main menu scroll will be visible underneath, that might be the best option (you'll need to save the map PNG with transparency before loading it into the campaign builder).
- You shouldn't hard-code text into the .script files, it can't be translated that way. Put the text in a file TBT01.eng.libx (open the original campaign .libx files with a text editor to see how you should format it) then use States.Text to fetch the text from the .libx file. You can then create translations by making a new file with a different code instead of eng (you can also run the Translation Manager from the main folder)
- The English translation has grammatical mistakes, maybe some native English speaker could volunteer to help you with it? (I'm a bit too busy working on the Remake at the moment, sorry)
- In mission 3 you blocked some passages which look like they should be walkable. Place big rocks there or make them steep so it's clear to the player why they can't walk there.
- You should elevate walls enough so that you can't see the far side of them. If you look at a house, you can't see the far side of it, so it looks strange when you can for walls (seeing a little bit of the far side is ok because walls are sloped more than house walls, but for most of your walls you can see too much of it)
- Keep adding more special grass tiles, it looks good so far (for example the grass tile with rocks on it looks good around mountains)
- The top bridge in mission 5 looks odd because at the edges the far side is more visible than at the middle, try to make it more like this: http://i.imgur.com/dO2Y4X0.jpg
- Is there a reason why the player can't walk across the dam? It seems like an unintuitive and annoying limitation, because when you play the mission it's not obvious why you can't walk there (and it would be annoying to move your troops all the way around the bottom)
- In mission 8 there are some massive grassy areas (specifically on the left) which look unfinished. Do you plan to put anything there?
- The water in mission 9 doesn't flow right

I like your unique map style. Keep up the good work, I have a feeling your campaign will be included in the Remake in the not too distance future ;)
<<

Islar

Pikeman

Post 27 May 2013, 16:54

Good improvements. More suggestions:
- The map on the briefing screen doesn't look great with the sharp edges. I'd suggest fading the edges into the background or putting black around them (like it is on the minimap).
- Do you have permission to use the background scroll on the briefing map? It looks a bit pixely anyway. You could actually just leave the background of your map transparent and the main menu scroll will be visible underneath, that might be the best option (you'll need to save the map PNG with transparency before loading it into the campaign builder).
do mean like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 27 May 2013, 18:51

Re: The Barbarian Territory (campaign)- Update 27-5

What if you made some simple maps, just to cover this campaign overview where there's no actual maps in place?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 May 2013, 20:25

I was thinking the same thing, sado, but I doubt that he wants to do that ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Islar

Pikeman

Post 27 May 2013, 20:48

I was thinking the same thing, sado, but I doubt that he wants to do that ;)
You are right, it would be unnessesary and confusing to the one who playing it what is part of the campaign and what is not. Also i like to get people curious on what will coming. :D

And if we think this map was made in the time of Knights and Merchants and someone's task was to make a map of this lands, he wouldn't draw some landscapes because he don't know what the landscape excelly would be. If he did he probably get behead by the king. :wink:
<<

Islar

Pikeman

Post 01 Jun 2013, 20:11

- You shouldn't hard-code text into the .script files, it can't be translated that way. Put the text in a file TBT01.eng.libx (open the original campaign .libx files with a text editor to see how you should format it) then use States.Text to fetch the text from the .libx file. You can then create translations by making a new file with a different code instead of eng (you can also run the Translation Manager from the main folder)
- The English translation has grammatical mistakes, maybe some native English speaker could volunteer to help you with it? (I'm a bit too busy working on the Remake at the moment, sorry)
I did what you wrote but it do not translates. Maybe i do it wrong but i almost sure everything is right.

About the english translation, and the others, could someone translate the english in other languages and could someone make the english translation better?

Also i maybe want to add some dymanic script but i don''t know how to use this or what i can add. If someone has suggestions and know how to explain the usage that would be fine.

If you have something else to tell i am pleased to know :D
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 01 Jun 2013, 20:59

If you have the improved English translation, I can do the Hungarian one (the improved version is needed because sometimes it's not so easy to translate to my own language, there can be sentences which sound quite weird).
No offense, I don't mean that your English is poor or bad or anything, just that it makes my "job" easier. :)

Contact me via TeamSpeak or Skype (PM for my address :P).
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

Return to “Map Design”