Centre of the Universe 8p

<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 25 Mar 2014, 05:08

Re: Centre of the Universe 8p

Nice map, well done :) Some things that still need to improve include:

- coal needs to be more smooth on the edges. Instead of using the brush you should use the set of tiles provided in the editor (which also include 4 different coal tile types) and do this manually.

- don't forget to lower some tiles so stonemasons can get all the rock in the mountain (use passability 9 slider on the bottom of screen). Otherwise player 4 for example can get 255 stone less from the mountain which can be a gamechanger in longer games.

- same goes for passability 3 (checks if you can build somewhere or not)

- try to use more tile variation on stone mountains and bridges.

- resource balance in general: starting trees for loc 6 are very low compared to loc 7 for example.

- use special water tile for under bridge to give it some more depth.

- fix tiles that are elevated too much (for example x83 y97)

- are you aware that the largest pine tree is uncutable? So its best to use it for decoration only, somewhere on the edge of a mountain instead of in the middle of a forest.

Again, nice work and good luck polishing :D
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

zaamoot

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 05 Apr 2014, 17:08

Nice map, well done :) Some things that still need to improve include:

- coal needs to be more smooth on the edges. Instead of using the brush you should use the set of tiles provided in the editor (which also include 4 different coal tile types) and do this manually.

- don't forget to lower some tiles so stonemasons can get all the rock in the mountain (use passability 9 slider on the bottom of screen). Otherwise player 4 for example can get 255 stone less from the mountain which can be a gamechanger in longer games.

- same goes for passability 3 (checks if you can build somewhere or not)

- try to use more tile variation on stone mountains and bridges.

- resource balance in general: starting trees for loc 6 are very low compared to loc 7 for example.

- use special water tile for under bridge to give it some more depth.

- fix tiles that are elevated too much (for example x83 y97)

- are you aware that the largest pine tree is uncutable? So its best to use it for decoration only, somewhere on the edge of a mountain instead of in the middle of a forest.

Again, nice work and good luck polishing :D
First of all thanks for the compliment! I saw your message early than today, but needed to further improve before posting a update. Based on the message I started to improve firstly the stone mountains, which I did not really knew. So that was great feedback. Also the uncutable trees and water under the bridges are replaced. I also tried to balance the forest on the place so that every location has 54 trees, where 12 trees are really near (ofc. there are some exceptions).
Elevation is no problem anymore and everything I want is now buildable!

What I need to do with your feedback is the coal fields, make bridges more interesting and further balancing. Because of the removal of trees I need to make some places more interesting again, but progress is made ;-).

Also I managed to start with the script and finished the template, now I only have to determine the reward system. My original plan is to give a specific reward for every building (e.g. destroy a school get 5 gold, destroy a stable get 1 horse, etc.).
This way you only get a small reward if the player is not so good, and a bigger reward if the player is bigger. Also a fight in the village for resource could take place.

What is you guys opinion of a reasonable reward for destroying a player? And what kind of reward for each house?
<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 05 Apr 2014, 17:13

Never saw your topic before, but the the pic's looks nice :)
I will download the map and maybe add some comments
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

zaamoot

Militia

Post 20 Apr 2014, 17:48

Hi everyone,

Did just some improvements to the map, mostly around left side of the map. Also I worked on the script, but need some help to make the script nicer (e.g. startmessage with rewards for demolishment, Name of player of the demolished building and 3 rows of overlay text). Can people contact me through PM or TS if you can help me:-D.

Feedback still wanted!

Greetings,

Zaamoot
<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Apr 2014, 18:00

If you want I can try to make the script.
If you send me a PM with what you want, I will have a look at it
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Remer

Woodcutter

Post 12 Aug 2014, 17:44

This map is brilliant .

Keep it up! Spread it! Play on it! I sure will!

(I really do like the map and you're doing a good job)
<<

zaamoot

Militia

Post 26 Aug 2014, 20:30

Dear all,

I still worked on the map, but had to finish my study year first and have of course a vacation.
Also after the first test game i noticed that the set up needed to be changed. Therefore the map is now for 6 players, where the players in the middle were removed.
The rework is/was a lot of work, but wanted to share this early version (for feedback).

The questions I have after working on it:
- Too much space, so not so challenging?
- 8p to 6p, nice or wrong?
- Is the map too chaotic for a team set-up? (Now it is left versus right)
- Too much trees for the players (75 trees for each player)?
- And of course what are your thoughts?

Things I still need to do are:
- Making the middle interesting.
- Balance coal and gold
- Place objects
- Make a PDF with the description of the script.

Thanks for the support so far! Hope you guys like it.

Greetings,

Zaamoot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Aug 2014, 07:35

It's getting to look nice! :)

You shoud work on mountain elevation near that two wooden bridges (147:115). Also, water flows are different... The one below the bridge, should be the same as the one above.

17:11 - fix tile
64:94 - fix tile!
61:98 - it doesn't look good, there should be normal water tile
68:100 - fix tile
142:130 - fix tile
And check all the map for things like these.

- Dividing river at 100:197 - why not make two water flows? One left, one right, not both left.
- That golden cliff at 165:168 could be more interesting...
- Places like 13:4, 17:7, 37:29 are too sharp imo and don't look good.
- It seems to me, that loc 3 has bigger building space than 6, but it needs testing.

3v3 set up looks good for me :). Not chaotic at all. And you already know my opinion about making it 6p :).

Trees' amount seems to be okay, but maybe there should be few more trees near locs 1 and 2 to avoid wood problems.

Keep up good work :).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

zaamoot

Militia

Post 31 Aug 2014, 23:02

Tiank, thanks for the feedback, I changed most of it. I also worked on the map the past days, so I have a new version.
After some other feedback I also changed the bottom entrance from a bridge to just a passage with grass.
The next days I am trying to play a few test games and change small things. Also asking more people for advise to improve the map through help from TS players, but please also feel free to post it on the forum!
COTU 0.2 6p.jpg
Greetings,

Zaamoot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

zaamoot

Militia

Post 04 Sep 2014, 20:08

Hi all,

We just played a game on Centre of the Universe and therefore post the first replay here ;-).
I noticed that the second iron mountain of location 3 is a bit far, so I will move it a bit closer.
The replay can be found here:
Replay 1.zip
The next days I will still be polishing the ugly things and feedback is still appreciated!
Thanks for the players for testing the map and for their support.

Greetings,

Zaamoot
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 04 Sep 2014, 21:22

What the players said about the map? I´m just interesting how they like it :D
<<

zaamoot

Militia

Post 04 Sep 2014, 21:49

What the players said about the map? I´m just interesting how they like it :D
I spoke to the players and they were really enthusiastic, which is also motivating! (you can also ask them self if you don't believe me :P). However I did not get specific improvement points or weaknesses of the map, only that iron of location 3 was too far. I already changed the iron after the notion from Mykridia, hope this is better, more testing is needed.
Also in the next version the first quick and dirty readme file is added (in low quality, otherwise I cannot upload it):
Centre of the Universe 3.1.rar
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 04 Sep 2014, 23:44

The improvements look good from what I can see, well done. I like terain variation and overall elevation. I haven't seen the replay from the testgame yet but it's not a campy map I think. So this is a good thing. Details are fine aswell. Still I have some advice for you: check the stonemountains for instance, at some places the bottom of the mountain is still to steep to cut rock, this should be fixed. Also some mountains look the same, it could use a bit more variaton, but this is a minor thing. More important is the look of your coalfields, use tile rotation when you lay down your coalfields manually. it's very easy to do but improves the looks greatly :P

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)

Return to “Map Design”