Close Quarters Release v0.2

<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 24 Mar 2014, 09:17

Close Quarters Release v0.2

Hello!

I'm going to be giving Map Design a try. Being that there aren't many 1v1 maps, I figured I would start out with one and would greatly appreciate tips or constructive feedback as to what you think about it. I play-tested this with an AI before posting this, and I can confirm that a game on this map is possible, but difficult.

Map Notes:
  • This is version 0.1. The map is very flat and lacking objects/trees/proper terrain. This will be fixed in upcoming releases, my initial release is just to get opinions on layout.
  • All resources are very close to storehouse, and there are plenty of them. I will likely move them around in upcoming releases to make them seem more realistic.
  • The space you are given to build is very small. Plan carefully.
  • "Bases" are given a "ramp" (will actually be a ramp after height is added) and two chokepoints with which to defend, so this may end up being campy and I may add in hidden entrances in later releases.
  • There are mountains across the map as well, blocking walking for troops so large armies have a difficult time being effective. Smaller, tactical armies will be the most effective here.
  • The map size is 96 x 128 (I believe)
When new releases are out, I will update this post with the new file and release changes as well as make a new post stating that it has been updated. :D Thank you for trying my map and have fun.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Images of v0.2 are located below.

v0.2 Release Notes:
Map Features:
  • Trees have decided to bomb the map. They are now everywhere.
  • Added additional entrance to base; positions have been shifted slightly to account for this.
  • Added map height and small hills.
  • Mountains in the middle have had resources added to them for color.
  • Disabled Watchtowers and Fisherman's Huts.
  • Space for both towns has been increased.
  • Added small patches of grassy dirt terrain and planted different trees on it.
Resources:
  • Added additional stones to mountains.
  • Coal has been reduced by 35%.
  • Resources of Gold, Coal, Stone, and Iron are equal for both locations.
Map attachments have been updated appropriately. Please enjoy and have fun. I look forward to hearing the response from you guys! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Looseminded on 25 Mar 2014, 02:52, edited 5 times in total.
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 24 Mar 2014, 09:49

Re: Close Quarters Release v0.1

Despite disabling towers and giving one more entrance per loc, you should do something abou coal, there's just too much of it. There is space for 2 gold and 2 iron mines, so space for 4 coal mines should be enough, eventually for extra 2 if someone would like to trade.

Coal mines at loc 2 can be easily attacked, which gives this loc disadvantage.

Also, I noticed, that loc 1 has space for 3 gold mines, why? 2 are enough. You should also give each loc same amount of resources (in mountains), so it's fair. It may be important in late game.

I like the idea of narrow paths and small armies. This good be a good map for fast 1v1 game. Keep working :).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 24 Mar 2014, 10:00

So the way I will reply to multiple points in this thread (and possibly future threads) is I'll quote your entire post, and if I have something to say about it, I'll have my post bolded and with a slightly bigger font within the quote.
Despite disabling towers and giving one more entrance per loc, you should do something abou coal, there's just too much of it. There is space for 2 gold and 2 iron mines, so space for 4 coal mines should be enough, eventually for extra 2 if someone would like to trade.

The reason that so much coal exists is due to it being entirely possible to use all of it if all the resources in the mountains get mined out (So if it DOES turn into a campy 2+ hour game). However I may move it to a round plot further to the left at Loc1 and further to the right at Loc2, I'm not entirely sure though, may simply reduce the amount of coal by 25-33%.

Coal mines at loc 2 can be easily attacked, which gives this loc disadvantage.

That's a good point, will extend mountain length to account for this and do some playtesting with full vision and a coal mine/worker and enemy bowman.

Also, I noticed, that loc 1 has space for 3 gold mines, why? 2 are enough. You should also give each loc same amount of resources (in mountains), so it's fair. It may be important in late game.

Error on my end. Playtested and was only able to fit 2 because of the lack of space for other buildings. Will fix this in v0.2.

I like the idea of narrow paths and small armies. This good be a good map for fast 1v1 game. Keep working :).

Thank you sir. :)
I should have a v0.2 release out tomorrow night at the latest. It's currently 3:15am for me and I'm very tired. :p
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 24 Mar 2014, 11:41

No matter how good your elevation will be, some of those mountains won't look as good as they could. They are way too straight; try to make some protrusions and corners. :)
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 24 Mar 2014, 18:21

No matter how good your elevation will be, some of those mountains won't look as good as they could. They are way too straight; try to make some protrusions and corners. :)

I planned on that with the v0.2 release as I'm also adding an additional entrance to the left and therefore have to move the mountains entirely :)
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 24 Mar 2014, 19:34

Added teaser images of v0.2 to be released tonight.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 24 Mar 2014, 21:24

it is strangely enough looking like a path beyond 1 vs 1 version.:mrgreen: sorry i have no constructive critisism yet.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 24 Mar 2014, 21:34

If I was able to leave the single ramp in and available, it would keep looking like a 1v1, but as pointed out, it could become extremely hard to siege if somebody just ends up spamming buildings/bowmen to defend. I plan on keeping it as a 1v1 map and maybe converting to a 2v2 later on, but the intention right now is to get my foot in the door that is map design ;)
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 25 Mar 2014, 02:44

Re: Close Quarters Release v0.2

Close Quarters has been updated to v0.2. I look forward to hearing the response from you guys, thank you for helping me test this for balance and for your constructive feedback!
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 25 Mar 2014, 02:57

Things that need to be worked on for sure (in this early stage of the map) is making it way less campy (or atleast disable towers) and create more buildingspace around the storehouse. Also, be creative and try to add something new to make it more interesting to play your map. And last, make sure that balance is like 100% the same for each player, since it's 1 vs 1. Good luck :D
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 25 Mar 2014, 03:49

...and create more buildingspace around the storehouse. Also, be creative and try to add something new to make it more interesting to play your map.
I may move the storehouse down three or four tiles (or remove some of the rocks) in the next release. Since it looks like an actual map at this point I'm going to hold off on that entirely until I feel like balancing needs to happen.

What I've noticed in other multiplayer maps is that larger armies tend to be the way of things. My idea with this map was to force smaller, more tactical armies to achieve victory. :D In my mind, the entire point of this map is to force engagements in close quarters situations, thus the name of the map was born.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Mar 2014, 04:26

What I've noticed in other multiplayer maps is that larger armies tend to be the way of things. My idea with this map was to force smaller, more tactical armies to achieve victory. :D In my mind, the entire point of this map is to force engagements in close quarters situations, thus the name of the map was born.
I see your point but let's say one player managed to defeat the enemy in the middle (after that glorious smart flanking manoeuvre :D ) and standing at the entrance of that players base he cannot enter because its too easy to defend, even without towers used. All units but especially ranged just need some space to attack from. Here I don't see that space. So only players with way more skill (read: troops) than others manage to win the game. Unless that's intended I'd say that's not really balanced.
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 25 Mar 2014, 05:04

I see your point but let's say one player managed to defeat the enemy in the middle (after that glorious smart flanking manoeuvre :D ) and standing at the entrance of that players base he cannot enter because its too easy to defend, even without towers used. All units but especially ranged just need some space to attack from. Here I don't see that space. So only players with way more skill (read: troops) than others manage to win the game. Unless that's intended I'd say that's not really balanced.
I suppose one way to fix it would be to move the mountains above/below the bases further towards the middle 4-5 tiles and remove/relocate the mountains on the sides. I'll have to play around with it over the next few days in the map editor to see if it keeps that small-spaces feel.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Mar 2014, 05:18

I suppose one way to fix it would be to move the mountains above/below the bases further towards the middle 4-5 tiles and remove/relocate the mountains on the sides. I'll have to play around with it over the next few days in the map editor to see if it keeps that small-spaces feel.
That could really help. But maybe it's even better to do it the opposite way. Bring the mountain closer to the storehouse. This way buildingspace is so low between the mountains that the player is forced to build outside his base and is more vulnerable for attacks :idea: But I'm not sure if it will fit your plan of gameplay intended for this map.
<<

Looseminded

Blacksmith

Post 25 Mar 2014, 06:34

That could really help. But maybe it's even better to do it the opposite way. Bring the mountain closer to the storehouse. This way buildingspace is so low between the mountains that the player is forced to build outside his base and is more vulnerable for attacks :idea: But I'm not sure if it will fit your plan of gameplay intended for this map.
I'd have to play around with it in map editor like I mentioned. I'll have to see and do some testing with ai troops on both sides :P

Return to “Map Design”