Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

List of added, not added, staying and deleted maps

<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 08 Jul 2014, 11:22

Re: List of added, not added, staying and deleted maps

Please Sado. My maps arent enough good, i know that. You deleted one of my favourite which one maybe the best, but added or left bad qualty large shitty map which is nearly or totally unplayable but peoples like that.

As I already told it, for me no problem if my maps are deleted, just let do it. Im just wondering there are lots of good and bad decision and not only at my maps!;)
Majestic Waters??? **** *** **** the most wondefull map ever!!! And i can tell you more unbalanced maps than this!

You guys added tons of maps which is "unplayable"- because ugly or really god players told that-whose playing always with the same rule and just play rarely for fun...

Which map is the best for 22minutes PT with 3x 1,5x speed? have you guys tested this one also? ;)

You deleted tons of maps which have never been opened by me because i havent enough time for that :( I really wanted to see those deleted Paker maps also in the future but unfortunately i deleted the previous versions of the Remake:S

I hope you guys find a solution for implement this online map archive solution...like some android games also have a button "get more maps"
I think to this could be a fairy solution for everybody.
Bests!
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 08 Jul 2014, 11:47

actually thunder, as far as i heard form The Dark Lord is that he wanted to have MW deleted himelf. This way he can improve it and release it back at a later stage(which knowing tdl will be in about 4 years :P) .
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 08 Jul 2014, 12:46

Yeah, don't blame me for removing Majestic Waters :P Even if it's not popular amng randoms, I'd never delete it, if TDL didn't decide to do it, so... direct your complaints towards the author, please :P I also agree this is at least top 3 of best looking maps.

As for deleting maps that work well in weird circumstances like short PT... do you expect us to test all those maps? In all possible configurations (short PT, 60 PT, random style PT)? Ask Ben, TDL and Lewin if it's hard to find time to playtest like 10 scripted maps, it took them a year and they are still not finished... We simply had to delete some maps and there's no way we could tst those that we didn't know well, so some guesswork had to be involved. We believed we will hurt the community the least, with those that we chose. We had to leave some mediocre looking maps, because they were extremely popular and we can't simply delete a map which many (random) people like.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 08 Jul 2014, 13:03

I think the reason why Cursed Ravine is so much more popular than other maps is partially because people don't want to try other maps on the list because they expect them to be bad, since in r5503 a lot of them are.
No. It works like this (short summary):
When players see other players playing Cursed Ravine, they think 'okay, maybe I can play that map too'. And they open up a lobby and select Cursed Ravine. And then other people start the Remake and see two Cursed Ravine games, and they think 'okay, maybe I can play that map too'. And then more people start the remake and see three Cursed Ravine games, and they think 'god I don't want to play that, I'll select something different'. But nobody joins their lobbies because they think you can only play Cursed Ravine, so they start a lobby and select Cursed Ravine. Then more people start the Remake and see two lobbies: one with Cursed Ravine and one with another random map. They also see 3 games on Cursed Ravine in progress. So they think: 'okay, if I join the Cursed Ravine lobby at least I'll get to play', so they join the Cursed Ravine lobby and start the game. Then the players in the random map lobby start wondering why nobody joins, so they select Cursed Ravine. And then people join and they start playing Cursed Ravine. The Ravine is really Cursed.

@Tiank no I never noticed that... Not sure if I care either. :P

@Thunder yes I want to delete Majestic Waters, but it will be back eventually. :) It's all part of my ingenious master plan!
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 08 Jul 2014, 14:14

I agree with TDL in 100%. I also asked myself why Cursed Ravine is that popular, but after I have read an article about counter strike, I got it :D Older players played de_dust2 (Classical map in counterstrike) all the time. Now valve tries that hard to bring new maps to the game, but like really noone is playing it. Just because old players show new players de:dust2. They try it. oh it´s not hard at all. you have like 2 entrances to protect and it looks cool, let´s stay at this map.

Same in cursed ravine. Even the "worst" players will survive an attack, because you have on entrance and can build like 200 towers. SO why should these guys change the map, when they like it and maybe "suck" at every other map they have tried so far :D

It's all part of my ingenious master plan!
Like, Netherlands will win the worldcup, you bring arguements to finally bring cataptults to the remake, you finish the tnl convert, you get married, get a child and THEN you fix majestic waters? :D
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 08 Jul 2014, 14:45

Like, Netherlands will win the worldcup, you bring arguements to finally bring cataptults to the remake, you finish the tnl convert, you get married, get a child and THEN you fix majestic waters? :D
In order to fix it, I need to destroy it first. I'm doing that right now!
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 08 Jul 2014, 15:37

Could do a meme about it, nvm: Just follow this recipe:

Adding some mountains from Same rocks
Taking some Pakerwheels from 1000 Corpses
Some ice from Frozen Waters
Bit camping from Cursed Ravine
And a few more ducks from Lava Valley

And Majestic Waters is perfectly balanced.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 08 Jul 2014, 22:02

Why not have a list of maps that are to be removed (ok, it is) but, with the reason why they are removed? Why is there no possibility of improving them?
Please count the maps that we deleted. Do you really want us to write a detailed opinion on ALL of them?! I understand that you are angry at us deleting many of your maps, but please try to understand. We have real lifes (at least I pretend I have one :P) and we will not sit and write detailed descriptions of tens of maps.
What are the criteria? Origin maps from specific authors?
You had many maps in the Remake and as with all the others who had many maps too (To, thunder), we deleted many of them. You can't say that we are favouring some authors. If I would follow what maps I like and what I don't, I would probably keep all thunder's and To's maps.
I do not understand why you do not want to give to reamka new improved maps. I am writing here for a map Dream. I looked in the map editor is pretty and polished, all players have similar locations, is balanced.

Other War-I could write the same thing. Did you looked at the map in the editor? Can you see only jpg. ?
If you do not have enough time to explain why the map removes it may not supposed to deal with it.

I'm still working on maps. And what do I do now? I can not improve maps. (Dream - Dream Battle sun - No mercy) I can not add new maps (Other War, Cube). Good maps that have been thrown in my opinion: Monster Island, In Hell, Bad Mountains
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 08 Jul 2014, 22:51

I do not understand why you want your maps so badly in Remake? You make tons of them, most of them are really bad quality. It's obvious, that you won't see it now, maybe after some time.

I'm not gonna write for Map Comitee here, but let me write from my point of view, why this maps shouldn't be added to Remake.

Dream

- Elevation is boring. In fact, terrain is not elevated at all, it's just folded. Gold mountains look as if they are some kind of hills, not sharp, not interesting.
- Snow placement on top left area seems chaotic, which makes it look really bad. It seems like you were just using brush more randomly, than with any idea for this area.
- Top middle area, with that snow mountain things... Really ugly, they are too sharp, too many of them, not polished at all. Really bad. And I don't understand that line for blocking the passage. If you wanted to make it unwaklable, you should use terrain for it, so it's more natural. Now it shows your laziness.
- Object placement is really bad, there are many objects that are right next to each other, it feels like you was just holding the button and moving cursor around the map in some places.
- 49:77 is wrong connected tile.
- Area 61:170, there is no consequence with using tiles. Some dark, some light, some grass. What kind of theme is it?
- Area below Loc 1 is just object spam. For your information: object spam looks ugly.
- Tiles 98:242 for mountains are completely flat. Are you serious? You didn't even fix that. Can you honestly say, that this map is worth to be in Remake?

So, to sum it up. Map is flat, mountains are mostly badly elevated, objects are placed badly. Honestly, for me, it's an eyesore. Previous version was better.

Other War.

Looks better than (New)Dream, I have to admit. But still, there's a lof of mistakes.

-What's with the trees on mountains? (169:23, 176:19). It looks really bad.
-Speaking about trees, there are placed really bad, many trees are right next to each other, they are even overlaying each other. Not nice at all.
-106:15 - wrong tile connection
-78:1 - that two trees. Is this some kind of gate? Even if so, it looks bad. Just bad.
-8:76 - really bad elevation, too sharp. And nearby there are palm trees, a cactus and normal tree. Mixing themes and objects from themes is mostly a bad idea, since there is no conequence in look.
-27:69 area, with little tree chunks objects around. Booooring.
-10:133 - A Really Flat Island.
-6:201 - Wasted trees spam, yay! And even on coal! Haven't I once told you about that? Yeah, that was on Cube. And yeah, it still looks bad.
- Bottom left area. Another example of how NOT TO elevate snow mountains to make them look interesting.
-129:124. I really thought I have seen everything in my life, but this is the first time I see green brushes on iron mountains...
-Even though these mountains near locs are thin, the map seems campy.

To sum it up. You don't put attention to details, which is really important. You seem to not spend much time with checking map for wrong tiles/places. You have some interesting ideas (trees on mountains may look good if they are put in a right way), but you are too chaotic with your work and trying to put everything in one place. You can't learn art, you must feel it.

I have nothing against you, really. I like the Cube idea and map is quite good looking, apart from some mistakes, which can be easily fixed. Two words for you today: humility and tenacity. You can learn them, then you can start learnin from other map makers and then maybe begin to make good quality maps.

What can you do now? Instead of spamming this topic and whining about your maps not being added to Remake, try to learn from others, how to make a good map.

Cheers.
Last edited by Tiank on 09 Jul 2014, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 09 Jul 2014, 05:16

Not sure why you even invest so much time for such a detailed post, but I think you summed it up preety well xD :
Even if so, it looks bad. Just bad.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 09 Jul 2014, 10:10

Could do a meme about it, nvm: Just follow this recipe:

Adding some mountains from Same rocks
Taking some Pakerwheels from 1000 Corpses
Some ice from Frozen Waters
Bit camping from Cursed Ravine
And a few more ducks from Lava Valley

And Majestic Waters is perfectly balanced.
Just a little bit oldschool to see that picture:) The old editor, just wow. Classical;) Nice!
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 09 Jul 2014, 10:34

Dream Other War.
First good post. Improved soon.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 09 Jul 2014, 16:11

i completely agree with Tiank, even if you thiink a map looks good does not mean it does look good. The Torn Empire was also a bad looking map, and thank god it is deleted.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 Aug 2014, 23:29

Deleting maps its point less because of new version the players will over write existing KaM Remake install and they will play on mp and they will download the deleted maps and spread them
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 22 Aug 2014, 04:16

does this mean it is pointless? the reason that it will the are deleted is that there are too many low quality maps included by default. if others want to add maps and spread them it is their choice. on a sidenote this topic is not relevant anymore since the maps are already deleted since the new RC.

Return to “Map Design”