What's wrong in this map?

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 15 Dec 2014, 15:49

What's wrong in this map?

Hi!

This is a singleplayer campaign map; I know there's something wrong, it *feels* wrong, but I just can't determine *what* that is.

Any halp, plees? :(

(P.S. The volcano and the area on its right under the mineable gold are scripted, and the units and buildings are going to be part of the scripted plot; the iron in the bottom right corner is supposed to be not mineable... I'm just trying to tease the player with it, so close yet unreachable :P )

EDIT: Map preview included:
Preview
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Dec 2014, 16:14

Re: What's wrong in this map?

Are you referring to the looks when you say there is 'something wrong'? I'm not sure what kind of feedback you want. :P
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 15 Dec 2014, 16:17

Are you referring to the looks when you say there is 'something wrong'? I'm not sure what kind of feedback you want. :P
The looks, or maybe the trees. Or not enough animals?
That's the problem: I don't know. :'(

I just know that it looks wrong... but can't say why. :(
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 15 Dec 2014, 16:20

Open a campaign map from TSK or TPR and try to make a list of the differences. :)
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 15 Dec 2014, 17:13

Open a campaign map from TSK or TPR and try to make a list of the differences. :)
Let's see... it may be that the woods are too big and with the trees too far from each other, but I think that the main difference with TSK11 is that the terrain looks too flat.

How can I make flat, buildable land look less flat? (?)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 15 Dec 2014, 17:15

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Dec 2014, 17:28

Let's see... it may be that the woods are too big and with the trees too far from each other, but I think that the main difference with TSK11 is that the terrain looks too flat.

that is easily done. when you open the button where normally mesasges would appear you find a slider. there you can find an option that says canbuild which shows where you can and cannot build. just experiment with the elevation and this tool to make it look less flat: example right here: http://youtu.be/3_3hadwfLLc?t=20m9s . you might be able to pick up other useful tips from it, nicae you will make rivers and stuff.

as for fighting areas you only have to look at canwalk, which means you can generally elevate it higher.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 15 Dec 2014, 18:08

That's not helping. :(

that is easily done. when you open the button where normally mesasges would appear you find a slider. there you can find an option that says canbuild which shows where you can and cannot build. just experiment with the elevation and this tool to make it look less flat: example right here: http://youtu.be/3_3hadwfLLc?t=20m9s . you might be able to pick up other useful tips from it, nicae you will make rivers and stuff.

as for fighting areas you only have to look at canwalk, which means you can generally elevate it higher.
Very helpful, thanks! :D

I'm still not fully sure about its look, but I like it more now. :P
Preview
(Maybe I'll come back to it again later, when I'll be more experienced for having made the other maps... but for now, I'm satisfied :mrgreen: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 15 Dec 2014, 18:18

don't use the same texture over a large area. Use small mountains, forests, etc.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 15 Dec 2014, 18:41

don't use the same texture over a large area. Use small mountains, forests, etc.
^ This.

Your map has huge areas with little to no variation. It is very boring that way. It will require a lot of work to fix this, but it should look a lot better.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 16 Dec 2014, 13:46

Uhm... is it better this way?

Now I like it... thank you all! :mrgreen:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Dec 2014, 03:19

You're breaking it up into more parts now, but it isn't nearly enough. When I paint with the brush, I use large sizes initially, but afterwords I use brush size 1 (or is it 0? Whatever the smallest brush is) to edit the terrain. Look at maps by To or TDL, you will see that nearly every tile is taken into consideration and that nothing looks the same.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 19 Dec 2014, 10:58

You're breaking it up into more parts now, but it isn't nearly enough. When I paint with the brush, I use large sizes initially, but afterwords I use brush size 1 (or is it 0? Whatever the smallest brush is) to edit the terrain. Look at maps by To or TDL, you will see that nearly every tile is taken into consideration and that nothing looks the same.
:O

Ok, thanks.
Preview
I don't think I can break it up more... or maybe I can, but I'm quite happy with it now. :P :mrgreen:

P.S. The brown star in the bottom right corner is going to be scripted too. :P
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 19 Dec 2014, 13:43

Ben means something else with brekaing up, i'll get back with an example for you.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 19 Dec 2014, 21:16

Ben means something else with breaking up,
Oh.
i'll get back with an example for you.
Ok.

Return to “Map Design”