Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Stumbled upon an interesting map idea on Reddit

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Jan 2015, 13:59

Stumbled upon an interesting map idea on Reddit

This sounds similar to a UMS map I used to play in Broodwar called 'Phantom'. You start with 8 players all of whom are allies (usually on BGH) and one of them is secretly chosen to be the Phantom. The Phantom recieves unlimited resources and is tasked with killing all other players. The other players must find and destroy the Phantom. The game usually progresses with the Phantom remaining hidden and attempting to disguise any build up of troops or production facilities. The other players want to expand to gain strength to fight the phantom but limited resources bring them into conflict over expansions. I'm sure you can imagine all the fantastic mindgames that can ensue from this and it definietly adds a new twist to playing RTS games!
However, the problem with this setup is that the quality of the game revolves entirely around how good the phantom is. I've had amazing games where everyone has been so pananoid and just tear each other apart before the Phantom is finally revealed to be that sneaky guy in the corner (who was so weak you thought he could never be the phantom) and he then crushes everyones weakend forces! You could also have rubbish games where the Phantom is immediately revealed and then can't compete with 7 enemies and gets crushed himself.
http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comm ... rs/c71roks

Do you think something like that could work in KaM?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 12 Jan 2015, 14:21

Re: Stumbled upon an interesting map idea on Reddit

the idea is really relaly good, but i do not think it can work in kam. the phantom can easily just only make schools inns and barracks and let the serfs bring gold and recruits for infinite soldiers. and if you limited the amount of resources that are infinite people could still notice it fast since the phantom will be able to build way faster then the others. but maybe some genius could make it work.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Jan 2015, 14:45

I remember that game mode! It was pretty fun.

If I recall correctly, the Phantom also had a time limit, passed which he'd automatically lose if he didn't crush everybody else yet.
And he didn't have unlimited resources: rather, he got them for free over time.

I think it may work in KaM in a similar way: weapons and armors brought to the Barracks are increased by x%.
It would be very similar to the Phantom in Brood War, wouldn't it?
It wouldn't allow the Phantom to build faster nor actually give him unlimited resources, but it would still be a huge military boost...

Or maybe he could get a steady - yet slow - influx of raw resources in his starting storehouse?
After all, in Brood Wars too the phantom could just use up all his resources and reveal himself as the phantom early, trying to go for a fast win...

In my opinion, what would actually be needed is a way to enforce hostilities between the non-phantoms.
In Starcraft, this was done by having the players compete for the few resources available (the Phantom already had a time limit), but this wouldn't apply to KaM... probably the non-phantoms would just end up turtling in their own bases and simply waiting for the time limit to run out.

Mmm... maybe players could be given some sort of bonus based on how much land they control?
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Jan 2015, 16:01

Idk this game mode, but what I red here about it, I have a few questions :P
If everyone is in the same team you could just look at everyone's bases and look who builds faster or who has just alot of rescources during game?
and if everyone is in the same team how could you as Phantom kill the others? because you can't attack your allies..?

Idk if these questions are good or that I just totally don't understand this topic :P
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Jan 2015, 16:14

Idk this game mode, but what I red here about it, I have a few questions :P
If everyone is in the same team you could just look at everyone's bases and look who builds faster or who has just alot of rescources during game?
and if everyone is in the same team how could you as Phantom kill the others? because you can't attack your allies..?

Idk if these questions are good or that I just totally don't understand this topic :P
In Starcraft Brood Wars, you can change your allies mid-game (i.e., you can set a player as an ally or as an enemy as you wish), but you cannot see your allies' collected resources.

Also, part of the point of the game mode is that the Phantom should try to build up his forces in a not obvious way...
Example of a obvious way to build up an army as the Phantom:
In Starcraft, there are two resources: ore and gas.
Some units can only be built with gas.
If a player starts building them without starting to collect gas first, then it's obvious he's the Phantom.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 12 Jan 2015, 20:32

Hmm i remember similar game mode like "who is the murder" * 8 players all ally, 1 random is a murder trying to kill other without revealing him self. rest of player try to identity and kill the murder.
100% Pahntom in kam will not work, in kam theres more "power"s element not just reasource, but also traffic, workers number etc ( u couldn't be powerful without keeping attention). The some of the games mode mechanics should be change and even the gamestyle in 40%, so it could fitting kam.
U see this as special eco map? 2 hours match? or soemthing else?

Hmm maybe something like, King & Traitor, Eco map , 2 hours. 8 players, 1 kingdom all ally, 1 random king know from start, 1 random traitor, king can unally speicifc player ( if he thinks that player can be betreyer), when traitor reveals him self all players (without king ) can choose to support him or king, war begins. But now im thinking about making traitor more powerfull without noticing, and nice option for traitor to "buying" allies. And some nice events to make "waiting" time more attractive. And some good restrictions and improvements for posibililty of 2 v 6, or 3 v 5 etc.
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 14 Jan 2015, 14:45

What do u think?: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2496

Return to “Map Design”