Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Poll, should stock TSK/TPR maps be editable?

<<

The Knight

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 23 Jun 2009, 21:55

This is no good idea! But this is not interesting for you. -.-
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 24 Jun 2009, 05:43

Once again - Please explain why this is no good idea, when whole KaM campaign can be replaced with e.g. TNL campaign?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 24 Jun 2009, 17:11

It's not good editing original maps (not the same like replacing by another campaign!). Editing original maps is bad:

1) cheating
2) cheating in MM
3) changing MM maps could cause problems in MM
4) some use the maps and make it to their "own" maps, "copyright problems" and this is not the first time. copyright problems in map editor scene are very often.

Enough?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 24 Jun 2009, 17:26

1) so? let them. they could use other cheats that are easier to use.
2 3) what if you just replace the map and drop in your own one? Say, with lots of resources on your side and without that one mountain to the side of your enemies camp.. An entirely new map is not any less bad than an edited map here. It's a fundamental flaw in KaM's multiplayer, and it isn't solved by disallowing editing of existing maps.
4) not the editor's problem. You can change .doc documents right, well what if you put your own name on it and pretend you wrote it? Ok suppose you do, then that's clearly not Microsoft's problem or responsibility.. why should it be any different for KaM maps? And anyway, if Krom's editor refuses to edit those maps, then they'll just edit it with Quage's editor right? (at least if we pretend that I never made map2pro which I admit wasn't really a good move, but at the time I felt it was necessary..)

In short, I'm not convinced yet.
<<

The Knight

Pikeman

Post 24 Jun 2009, 17:34

@ harold: Why are YOU so interested in modding original files? You know the source and have knowledge to change it since years! :?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 24 Jun 2009, 17:55

Well I have my principles, as do you..
It doesn't seem right to me to disallow editing of any file on my harddisk, I know that's not really what's happening here (hexeditor, anyone?) but it comes close.
It doesn't doesn't seem exactly right that a program could edit a file, but purposefully denies you the possibility to do so just because the creator thought it would be a good idea.

I could write my own editor if I ever felt like it, but that would mostly just waste a lot of my time.
<<

Tomo2008

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 21 Aug 2010, 09:01

I know this is really old, but I'm kind of making a Shattered Kingdom V2 at the moment. Its using the same maps, although I'm tidying them up with Qages editor and replacing certain minerals with others if I need to.

It isn't a different campaign, just the same with different units, colours of armies, some teams added/moved in each mission, altered towns, that kind of thing. So far I'm just finishing Mission 9.

I know many people probably won't even play them if there aren't many around anymore, but it's for my enjoyment as well :) But if anyone is interested in playing them I'll send them out.
<<

Tomo2008

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 21 Aug 2010, 09:08

Oh, sorry for double post but just to clarify the reason I put the post in this thread is because I feel that it is okay to edit the maps :) Did it with Qage's editor. It is kind of annoying because if you place a building on the mission editor and it doesnt appear in-game, you have to go to the map editor and find the squares that are making this occur, and as you can only do it by numbers, this means you have to be very general in the way you edit the height to make the land flat enough for buildings. But so far, I only have one slight error with one map on mission 5 in the campaign, the rest are fine.

I would never say the maps are mine though. They are just edited versions, for fun :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Aug 2010, 20:46

Of course the should be editable! If one wants to do it, they can just use Qage's map editor or map 2 pro, though it takes longer, but still, it's possible. And for cheating? The makers of the game made cheat codes, so I'm sure that they wouldn't care if someone edited them...
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Map Design”