Laborer

Post 01 Sep 2009, 19:23

How do i make a mulitplayermap

.... that my kids and i can play?

i have croms editor and lewins editor

i figured how to make a map !

but what do i do from there?

what do i name it?
and in what dir to make it playable as a human vs human ?

please walk me through
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Sep 2009, 06:39

Hi Jeanette,
First thing you have to do is make the map with Krom's editor. Then save the map file in KaM\data\mission\mmaps\MapName.map. The name must not contain spaces!

Then you have to make the mission file. In my editor, click New and choose Multiplayer as the mission type. If you want it to be one where you build a base then use just "Multiplayer". If you want it to be a multiplayer battle only (no buildings) then use "Multiplayer - All Fighting". Select the map file that you made, and it should all load up ok. Add the buildings, troops, etc. for each team using the Placement tab on the left and set the mission options using the Treeview tab.

Then save the mission file as KaM\data\mission\mmission0.dat. (backup the previous version first)

Start KaM, and use the FIRST multiplayer map in the list. (doesn't matter what it is called, the first one in the list will always be the file mmission0.dat) Choose your teams and start the game! If you did everything correctly then it should work fine. Otherwise, post back here explaining what happened and I'll try to help you further.

If you get stuck you can try reading the help file for my editor. (click Help -> Help) It has some interesting information, it might help you when unexpected things happen. It doesn't have much about multiplayer though, it's kind of focused on single player as that is the main mode of the game.
Oh, and keep in mind that multiplayer in TPR can be a bit buggy. Units get out of synch and weird stuff. It is best to use TSK if possible, (these instructions are still correct) but if you can't then never mind, it will still work ok.

I hope this helps you,
Lewin.
P.S. Don't forget to copy both of the files to each of the computers! If you don't then you will all be playing different missions. :wink: Just put them in the same folders with same file names and it should work fine.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 03 Sep 2009, 05:55

thank you very much - your information has been very helpfull and has giving me somewhere to start.

now i know how to make the multiplayer scene.

btw i use TSK

thansk again, i'll post when i get it working (or if i don't *S*)
<<

Jeanette

Laborer

Post 03 Sep 2009, 20:27

ITS WORKING

took a few trial and errors, but i forgot to put in a goal for the teams.

So far we have played vs each other and its working good so far.

i encountered som minor problems. My son couldn't get stones, guess it was either because the stones where south of his mason or because the sloape was too steep.

some of the initial buildings i had placed wheren't there. I was short of the school house and he was short of an inn. But since we both had the storage house, serfs and workes we came by it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Sep 2009, 11:30

Re: ITS WORKING

took a few trial and errors, but i forgot to put in a goal for the teams.
Multiplayer missions do not require goals. The goal is automatically assumed to be destroy troops and buildings. (or just troops if it's a battle) There is no option to set goals in my editor for multiplayer.
i encountered som minor problems. My son couldn't get stones, guess it was either because the stones where south of his mason or because the sloape was too steep.
Both of those are likely. Make sure that units are able to stand on tiles at the bottom of the stone hill.
some of the initial buildings i had placed wheren't there. I was short of the school house and he was short of an inn. But since we both had the storage house, serfs and workes we came by it.
There are a few things that could cause this:
- The terrain did not allow the building there. (e.g. it was not flat, it had an object like a rock in the way, it was the wrong terrain type, etc.)
- There area was not revealed at the start of the game. In KaM missions (single player and multiplayer) the locations of buildings must be revealed at the beginning or the building does not place. Put a Map Revealer on each building. This and other bugs/limitations are listed in my editor's help file under Appendix -> Game Bugs.

Sounds like you are going well! Please upload your mission to my site once you're done, I only have one multiplayer mission there at the moment.
Lewin.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 06 Sep 2009, 12:00

hi lewin

i figured all the above.

about goals... maybe not nessecary, but worked when i added them... so i left the issue at that

about missing buildings.. it was because the area wasn't revealed - as you said

and about the stones.. the sloapes where to steep..

now my next task is to figure out how to make a single player game.
<<

Jeanette

Laborer

Post 06 Sep 2009, 12:04

Is it in any way possible to make a game where 2 ppl play vs one or more AI enemy ?
<<

harold

Knight

Post 06 Sep 2009, 12:23

AFAIK only in the remakes
<<

Jeanette

Laborer

Post 08 Sep 2009, 05:55

the "remakes"... what is that ?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 09 Sep 2009, 00:32

the "remakes"... what is that ?
Some people are recreating KaM from scratch. These projects are called Remakes. Currently there are two ones:
- The Kingdom Expanded, by Harold and JBSnorro
- KaM Remake, by Krom and Lewin (yes, me)

Both of these are in early stages and not really playable. Demos have been released for both of them, you can find them on these forums.

But back to the question, no it is not possible to have AI in multiplayer. I've tried but been unable to make it work. Currently neither of the Remakes even have multiplayer or AIs implemented, so it is not possible with them either. However, it will probably be added as a feature in the future.
Lewin.

Return to “Map Design”