Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

A problem(Editor)

<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 11 Sep 2009, 04:56

A problem(Editor)

I have some questions. I hope someone can help me .
1. I can't edit Kam maps with krom's map editor and save them. Why "saving map has been disabled"?
2. Though it is not about map editing, i write it here. Is there any way to change the list(or program) which is used by AI to build its town? The way it does it is so stupid, :(

And the 3rd, the worst. :) Why each time I make a map using Krom's map editor, AI builds only small town on created maps(about 10-12 buildings) or does not build at all. There are only 1(!) woodcutter's, lumbermill, farm, swine farm, mill, bakery, weaponsmith ect... stupid AI...
Is anybody here who can help me to deal with it? :cry:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 11 Sep 2009, 06:04

Re: A problem(Editor)

Hi,
1. I can't edit Kam maps with krom's map editor and save them. Why "saving map has been disabled"?
There are two reasons for this:
1. Some data used by the editor (terrain edging) is not stored in the original maps so it is difficult to edit them anyway
2. It was thought unethical at the time to allow the editing of the original KaM maps.
You can edit most fan made maps or maps that you make with the editor. (this might change and saving might be allowed soon)
2. Though it is not about map editing, i write it here. Is there any way to change the list(or program) which is used by AI to build its town? The way it does it is so stupid, :(
No. That is hard coded into the executable and cannot be changed. You can make it a little better, see bellow.
And the 3rd, the worst. :) Why each time I make a map using Krom's map editor, AI builds only small town on created maps(about 10-12 buildings) or does not build at all. There are only 1(!) woodcutter's, lumbermill, farm, swine farm, mill, bakery, weaponsmith ect... stupid AI...
There is a solution for this. What program are you using to edit the mission files? (.DAT) I will give instructions for my editor, (KaMEdit-0.9) if you are using a different one then let me know and I'll tell you how to do it there.
When you select the AI Auto build mode, you can choose No, Yes or Smart. In Smart mode the AI will build a bigger town with multiple woodcutters etc. It still isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than normal if you want a big town.

As for not building at all, this is probably just a bug of KaM. (TPR) I've heard that if you save the game and re-open it then the AI often stops building. I think I've also heard that if something disturbs them then they never finish building. (e.g. you kill one of their labourers)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Lewin.
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 11 Sep 2009, 22:29

A problem(Editor)

I use Kam Edit-0.8.5 and mission builder v0.9f before that.
I 'll pay attention to your advise. If it helps i'll write you "thanks" :)

1 I thoght about the same reason :)

2 But... there's a big difference between KAM TSK and KAM TPR's AI. TSK's AI even makes army in it's own way. And town building too. They've made it! I've heard that in v1.60 patch AI behaviour has been changed again. I use v1.53 now.

3. I've spent about 7 hours just wathing how AI builds. 2 of 5 comp. players never stopped building. but they've built about 15 woodcutter's huts and 6-8 lumbermills.

If you have any problems of understanding my text let me know. Of course, I can't speak/write in English as well as russian :D
<<

harold

Knight

Post 11 Sep 2009, 23:10

If you really really want to edit old maps you can use map2pro. It kinda sucks, but it's better than nothing.
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 12 Sep 2009, 05:10

Lewin

I 've made my map once again. Landscape - krom's map editor. Scripts - KamEdit-9.0. AI building - smart. It didn't help me. AI keeps making the same stupid things it did before. Also it does-not pay attention to places where is coal, gold and iron ore. It builds farms there.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 12 Sep 2009, 05:32

AI building - smart. It didn't help me. AI keeps making the same stupid things it did before. Also it does-not pay attention to places where is coal, gold and iron ore. It builds farms there.
That's just because the autobuild AI is really badly programmed. Smart just means that they will build more than one of each building. (up to an infinite amount I think, well, as many as will fit on the map anyway) I can't help it, the code is locked within the EXE. There isn't really anything we can do.
2 But... there's a big difference between KAM TSK and KAM TPR's AI. TSK's AI even makes army in it's own way. And town building too. They've made it! I've heard that in v1.60 patch AI behaviour has been changed again. I use v1.53 now.
I think you should upgrade to the latest beta of v1.60. Lots of issues have been fixed since v1.53. 1.60 doesn't change much about the AIs behaviour, it's a fan made patch and we don't have the source code so we can't do much. I think all that it does is fix the scripting of the AI in the missions (defence positions, start positions, attacks, etc.)
Yes, TSK was different, but the whole engine was different. Blame the guy who programmed it, we can't change it now without the source code. Possibly the TSK autobuild was better, but there is no way to port it over to TPR without the source code.

Really, you'd be better off giving the AI a town to start with. (or at least part of a town and let them expand it) Autobuild just isn't reliable enough to use it.
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 12 Sep 2009, 05:44

The tTSK autobuild was really bad. when AI build 14 farms and AI deliver all good in to stockhouse life in the AI's town becomes nightmare. In the tsk comp. town is not so bad.

May be I do something wrong but with autobuild smart AI builds only 1 building of each type.....
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 16 Sep 2009, 14:47

I'm testing my new mission and... when I make new markings to build roads, fields or buildings they dissapear after few seconds... why?
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 16 Sep 2009, 16:12

Oh... everythingl works properly now excluding one thing, comp player - does not send cavalry troops to their def. points.....
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 16 Sep 2009, 16:19

What the hell?! soldiers walk by water!....
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 27 Sep 2009, 03:52

I'm testing my new mission and... when I make new markings to build roads, fields or buildings they dissapear after few seconds... why?
This happens when there are no labourers that can build them. Either:
1. You don't have any labourers
2. You built them at a place that can't be accessed by the labourers
Oh... everythingl works properly now excluding one thing, comp player - does not send cavalry troops to their def. points.....
Probably because you exceeded the limit for the number of defence positions. Look in my help file Appendix -> Command Limits. You can only have 20 defence positions per team. Some other commands like goals and attacks are also limited, take a look.
What the hell?! soldiers walk by water!....
I think that's because you're using ice not water. People will walk over ice but not water. Try the other terrain type.

Is that all your questions?
Lewin.
<<

Thanatos

Blacksmith

Post 27 Sep 2009, 12:25

No. Look my the latest post in AI gone mad.

Return to “Map Design”