Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Making maps

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Aug 2010, 22:51

Making maps

Question is: How do you make your maps? Specifically, I am wondering how others use copy/paste in their maps.

How about objects? Do you look at a spot and think an object needs to go there, or do you just randomly place objects all over the place. Are there certain objects you don't like to use?

Mountains, mountains, mountains: They can be so hard to make. How do you elevate them? What size brush do you use? How quickly does the brush go?

Of course, these questions are directed towards those who use Kroms editor 06. Thanks again Krom for your wonderful editor!!!

My answers are:

Q: How do you make your maps?
My A:

I start off with an idea. Is it a snowy map? A forest map? A mountain map? A battlefield map? I then cover the map with the dominant terrain (grass/dirt/snow for mountain maps, dirt for battlefield maps, dirt for forest maps, etc) for that kind of map.
I then start working on where your town is going to be. I place the resources, defensive positions (make rivers or mountains to block of enemy passage), etc.
Then I go over to the enemies side.
I make their defensive spots, and resources, if necessary. I also make plenty of room inside their base for extra soldiers if needed.
I also place elevation all over the place. I make sure that there are no flat places on the map, even in the water (I make a wave affect with elevation).
I use copy/paste when I make my water (to make it flow on direction) and to make my huge mountain ranges. With mountains, I paste 'em all over then I smooth them off and make the sides. It's not perfect, but it saves a lot of time.

Q: How do you use objects?
My A:

I place objects randomly, though I make sure to match the object with the terrain (no cacti on snow, for example).
I like making pine forests since there are so many different kinds of them available to use.
I don't place saplings and seedlings on the map: they grow anyway so I'd rather see what the player will see (by the time he/she explores the forest, they'd have already grown). I also don't like the one pine tree that is straight till and has to branches till the top: they look fake, like telephone poles.

Q: How do you elevate your mountains?
My A:

Well, for huge mountain ranges where you won't see much of the center, I use the copy/paste thing I said, but for smaller ones I use the smallest brush for making the terrain AND the elevation. Using larger bush sizes for terrain makes them globish, and using large brushes for elevation makes them look like bumps, not mountains.

Whew, this post was a LOT larger then I thought it would be. thanks for reading it (if you did :wink: ). Please post your ideas if you have the time. Perhaps we can help each other make great looking maps!!!! :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2011, 13:34

Hi, I am new but played KaM my entire life(since I knew how to(which was about the age of 7(I am 16 now)))

I use the map editor from the Remake and only try to make multiplayer maps and play them with my brother(13).

Q: How do you make your maps?
My A:

1st: Select a map size determined by these questions:

1. How many players do you want? (I use 2 cause I only have 1 brother to play the map with.)
2. How much room do you want players to have? (Varies with me.)
3. Are you going to use a lot of mountains and rivers? (Yes. I like mountains but hate rivers. I use them mostly for strategical reasons.)
4.How long do you want the game to last. (I add some strategical spots for balanced defense for long games.)

2nd: Do you want to make the map symmetrical? (No. I make mine asymmetrical, but this needs more testing and balancing.)

3rd: What is your theme/story? Use this question for the background you will use. (I don't really have stories.)

4th: What do you start with? (I am working on a 1vs1 map in which you start with a warehouse, one quarry, 5servants, 1stonemason and 2workers)

5th: Test it and when you have a spot where you don't want you or your opponent to be able to build, you place some objects there.

6th: Decorate.

Q: How do you use objects?
My A:

See the 5th and 6th of last. I pick spots where they aren't hindering the game but still look nice. The forests are most of the time pine forests. I delete all the savanna trees cause my brother and I think they look awful. I use saplings and seedlings so that you can't build on some spots in the early game.

Q: How do you elevate your mountains?
My A:

I create some shades but most of the time I have pretty flat or smooth elevated mountains.

Again, I am not a pro and don't know much about editing but since you asked and nobody replied yet I thought why not!

Return to “Map Design”