What is a good site to upload them to?

EDIT
Never mind, I got it.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Nov 2011, 23:38

Quick question: how do I make the images appear as thumbnails on the forum?
Nevertheless, here they are:

This one, Horseshoe, is a 1 vs. 1 map that is as balanced as I could get it. Perhaps it could be used in a 1 vs. 1 tournament or something?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/horseshoe.png/

This one, The Tyrant, is a 1 vs. 2 map where players 2 and 3 try to defeat the Tyrant who rests behind walls and mountains. With an easy area to defend, and plenty of resources at his disposal, he has everything he needs but room and numbers. Players 2 and 3 have room and numbers, but less resources, and no iron.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/thetyrant.png/
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 11 Nov 2011, 00:06

The maps are looking good and Horseshoe looks very balanced.
I'm not sure about The Tyrant. Perhaps the player who is alone should get some towers at the entrances to avoid early militia rush. Or you should find another way to avoid militia rush, because two players obviously train militia much faster than one.
You could also make player 1 start with roads to the entrances and let him make the towers himself (but since the entrances are so far from each other this may result in a too large slowdown).
Also I think the Tyrant's base has too many entrances. His position is barely better than position 2 or 3, except that he has iron at his disposal.
On the other hand, I noticed the stone quarry in the Tyrant's base is very far away. I guess this means he starts with a lot of stone in his storehouse which means there is no need to make stonecutters, which saves time.

Anyway I'm just assuming things now and perhaps I'm completely wrong. You created the mission so you know much better how it really is. Ignore my ignorance! :P

As I said the maps look good and I'm sure they'll turn out to be balanced eventually (2v1 maps will always require thorough testing). I'm excited to play on them. :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 00:27

I was concerned about a militia rush being too hard for player 1. I want to test the mission before I give player 1 towers, but I don't believe i will make them in any more locations than the main entrance. As for the other entrances, I like them, but maybe they should be removed. I usually don't like just one entrances since it usually boils down to a long, monotonous attack with archers moving back and fourth getting a few kills here and there. Come to think of it, this might happen anyway, with the only variation being that the tedious siege is taking place in more than one location :roll:
But I didn't just sit back and say, "Oh, Mr. Tyrant is going to have a hard time." I gave him nearly twice as much wood. And since he (like you correctly stated) starts with a lot of stone and doesn't need to focus on making quarries, he can quickly construct some towers. Lewin has the current version of the mission, but I think I might change how much gold players 2 and 3 start with. (I think the total amount of gold players 2 and 3 start with should equal the amount of player 1. How about you?)
Like you said, uneven team maps need to be tested a lot.

Thank you for your insights. As much as I appreciate it, it gets tiring when people just take a glance and say, "Looks great, I can't wait to play it."

EDIT Oh the fool I can be! I forgot to give player 3 resources :lol:
I imagine player 1's position is much better than it looks, eh?

I changed the starting resources mission. How does this look:

Player 1
300 stone
60 timber
25 iron ore
25 coal
100 gold
60 wine
40 loaves
20 sausages
20 fish
10 tree trunks

Players 2 and 3:
60 stone
40 timber
50 gold
50 wine
40 loaves
20 sausages
20 fish

I think that player 1 has a good advantage now, but I suppose testing will be our best potion now. Any suggestions?
Oh and we need a third player.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 00:58

I also have another map that I made. It is similar to castle slaughter, but with a twist: Your castles have four entrances (so they are easier to breach), and you have a limited amount of food. You have a small farming village outside your castle with can be expanded. You must keep this village safe or famine will strike your castle! I like this because it simulates the strategy that was used by armies in real life: armies would lay siege to a castle and prevent food from entering it so the garrison would starve to death.
They can't be tested yet, because I want the market to be locked and I can't do that with Lewin's editor.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 11 Nov 2011, 02:42

Thank you for your insights. As much as I appreciate it, it gets tiring when people just take a glance and say, "Looks great, I can't wait to play it."
I'm afraid I'm often one of these people, but then again I'm busy programming the game so someone else can critic your missions :P
They can't be tested yet, because I want the market to be locked and I can't do that with Lewin's editor.
Well you can, but it's not supported by the GUI. You'll have to open it up with version 0.3 and add the following command to each player you want to block the market for:
  Code:
!BLOCK_HOUSE 29[/quote] To make it available at the mission start: [code]!RELEASE_HOUSE 29[/quote] I'm sure you get the idea from that. The market's ID is 29 so you can use that for placing it, blocking it, or whatever you like to do with other houses. However, if you try to edit it in a graphic version of my editor like 0.9 after adding a command for the market like that, my editor will probably crash or at least get rather upset about at us for adding a new house without telling it about it :P Lewin.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 02:53

However, if you try to edit it in a graphic version of my editor like 0.9 after adding a command for the market like that, my editor will probably crash or at least get rather upset about at us for adding a new house without telling it about it :P
Yeah, that is what I meant. Which editor should I use for coding only?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 11 Nov 2011, 03:20

Yeah, that is what I meant. Which editor should I use for coding only?
I'd recommend version 0.3_beta of my mission editor. (ignore the beta, it's meaningless really) It has buttons for adding most of the commands so you won't have to memorise them all.
But I'd recommend making most of the mission in 0.9 of my editor and just doing the finishing touches in the script, since making a village by typing in road coordinates isn't fun at all :P
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Nov 2011, 07:08

Here is a picture of something I recently put together:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/oasisxx.jpg/

The name of the map is Oasis Struggle. Sounds like a fitting KaM name. The team setup is similar to border rivers 8P, so it can be played as a 2x2x2x2, 2x2, or 4x4. I think that a 4x4 will work best on this one though. I'll start uploading them to the forum (quite similar to the way The Dark Lord is doing it) once I have tested them.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 12 Nov 2011, 10:00

Nice - I particularly like "The Tyrant"!
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 12 Nov 2011, 10:07

Nice, I see I don't need to make any maps haha :D
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 12 Nov 2011, 16:45

I?m glady to test maps :D
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Nov 2011, 18:49

I tested "The Tyrant" and, as I had hoped, I (the Tyrant player) trained a swordsman just about the same time that my opponent trained a militia. However, my opponent suffered greatly due to lack of wood (so he claimed) and his production was slowed way down. He also said he didn't like how far away he was from the trees, gold, and coal in contrast to his ally.
Also, I ran out of iron after training only about 60 soldiers. This means that after a few hours, the Tyrant will have completely lost his advantage (And will now be at a huge disadvantage, since he has less numbers AND room for farms and trees.) I think I will increase the amount of iron for player 1, create two towers at the "main entrance" and also provide an extra 50 stone for player 1. The road to the towers will be missing 1 "piece" of road so the player isn't bogged down by serfs delivering stone to towers in the beginning.
I will also move the resources for player 2 around a little bit.
We Will see how this goes.

@Dark Lord
Your words gladden me, but you maps are clearly still better. :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2011, 22:08

I'm almost finished with another one, but some of the code won't work till the next Remake. The idea behind this one is to get an army up fast. Peace time could still be used, but there will probably be a lot of fighting soon after.
The players each start with a lot of timber, food, some coal and iron ore, and nearly unlimited gold and stone (which cannot be traded away). Also, the large amount of nearby trees encourage players to make even more timber, and since any arable land is far away, early farms are nearly impossible to make, furthering the chances of a militia rush.
The biggest twist to the map; though, is that the barracks, weapon's workshop, and iron smithy are all unlocked at the beginning of the game, meaning you don't know when your oponent may hit you, or what troops he may use.
Positions 1 and 2 are meant to be used in a 1v1, but this map can also be played as a 2v2, with 1+3 and 2+4; although, room may become a problem.
Snapshot:http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1036/blitzkrieg.jpg
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Nov 2011, 22:39

I like the idea, very well thought-out! Looks good, too. Keep it up :D

Return to “Map Design”