Recommendations for New Remake Multiplayer Maps

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Nov 2011, 02:36

That's awesome! :D
I love the rotational symmetry, it's much more interesting than reflected symmetry across the middle but still means the map is balanced.
We're going to have some great games on these maps :) I like that all the maps you make have a good "theme" to them; desert, sandy hills, grassland, etc. Some people try to put every terrain type on the same map and it looks stupid. (e.g. snow next to the desert)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 14 Nov 2011, 09:02

Nice one again! If I were you I'd block the town hall. If you start with a lot of gold you know what will happen if it isn't blocked. Surely the town hall isn't implemented, but if it will be people will only spam rebels. :wink:
The bridges look good too. :)
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 14 Nov 2011, 14:55

Problem:
Rebels, how to counter?
Vagabonds! :shock: no....
Correct answer: More Rebels.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Nov 2011, 01:23

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 pm Post subject:
That's awesome!
I love the rotational symmetry, it's much more interesting than reflected symmetry across the middle but still means the map is balanced.
We're going to have some great games on these maps I like that all the maps you make have a good "theme" to them; desert, sandy hills, grassland, etc. Some people try to put every terrain type on the same map and it looks stupid. (e.g. snow next to the desert)
Lewin, this may sound silly, but few things make me happier than people giving me compliments like this. It means a lot. I'm glad you like it, and i hope that I am finally becoming useful around here. :)
If I were you I'd block the town hall. If you start with a lot of gold you know what will happen if it isn't blocked. Surely the town hall isn't implemented, but if it will be people will only spam rebels.
Good point. I had not though of that since the Town Hall is not yet available.
The bridges look good too.
Thanks! My favorite terrain/terrain to make in KaM is the wooden bridge. It is one of the few instances in RTS games where we can see physics applied to the game.
Unfortunately, the bridges don't look as good in the actual game. 'Tis a shame, since I spent so long on them. :?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Nov 2011, 04:02

Lewin, this may sound silly, but few things make me happier than people giving me compliments like this. It means a lot. I'm glad you like it, and i hope that I am finally becoming useful around here. :)
Glad to hear it! :)
Thanks! My favorite terrain/terrain to make in KaM is the wooden bridge. It is one of the few instances in RTS games where we can see physics applied to the game.
Unfortunately, the bridges don't look as good in the actual game. 'Tis a shame, since I spent so long on them. :?
What do you mean by "actual game"? KaM TPR or the Remake? Is the not looking as good because of the graphical flaws in terrain rendering? (lines and dots that appear in black areas) I should discuss this with Krom, we've talked about it in the past but I can't remember why it was hard to fix.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Nov 2011, 05:20

Well Krom's editor always loaded maps differently than KaM, but as for the Remake...Idk. It seems as though the relief is loaded differently. I find myself raising the ground much more than I used to, and it still seems too "flat."
It's possible that I'm going crazy, too. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another mission. I fear this game has taken my life away from me :P
I've been working on this one for a while. I think that I will tweak a few things here and there, but overall, I think it will look much like this:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9698/boarderlands.png

What do you think? The map reminds me of Wilderness and the setup is like Border Rivers 8P. Not much to say about it.

EDIT
I accidentally cut a little of the image. No big deal, but if you notice the map looking funny, that's why.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Nov 2011, 06:47

Well Krom's editor always loaded maps differently than KaM, but as for the Remake...Idk. It seems as though the relief is loaded differently. I find myself raising the ground much more than I used to, and it still seems too "flat."
It's possible that I'm going crazy, too. :P
No you're not going crazy, Krom's editor renders shadows and lighting differently to the Remake and KaM. You can use the built-in map editor to put the finishing touches to the heights if you like, but then of course Krom's editor can't change the terrain properly as the additional tiling information will be lost.
Borderlands also looks nice, so many maps :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 15 Nov 2011, 11:58

I have the same, Ben. When I make a map in Krom's editor and I think 'looks good, let's test it' then I find it to be horribly flat in the game.

I can't believe the speed in which you make all these maps! That would take me months!
Anyway, about the map: I think player 1/2/3/4 have a huge disadvantage compared to player 5/6/7/8. They have no stone nearby (well it is close to their storehouse but since they will have to build around the mountain...). As for the rest, it looks awesome.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 15 Nov 2011, 12:11

and i hope that I am finally becoming useful around here. :)
Absolutely! An active fan can be one of the most important things to keeping a project alive, and I have noticed your many contributions lately :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Nov 2011, 01:34

Anyway, about the map: I think player 1/2/3/4 have a huge disadvantage compared to player 5/6/7/8. They have no stone nearby (well it is close to their storehouse but since they will have to build around the mountain...)
I think that, perhaps, the biggest problem for multiplayer map makers is that you can only mine from the front of the mountain. I compromised here and there to try and balance it out, but I think that there are a few things I might be able to do to fix:
(1) I could move players 5,6,7, and 8's stone several ties away (up) from their storehouses.
(2) I could move players 1,2,3, and 4's "secondary" stone closer to their storehouses.
(3) After increasing the amount of stone accordingly, I could divide the lower teams' stone mountains in half so it is easier to access the stone.

Which do you think is the best idea?
I can't believe the speed in which you make all these maps! That would take me months!
Haha. I'm still in high school, so that might have something to do with my extra time. :wink:
I just started basketball, so I won't be making so many anymore.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 16 Nov 2011, 17:06

I think option (1) is a very good one. If you look at the screenshot you will also notice player 5/6/7/8 have less building space than player 1/2/3/4. Moving their stone further to the north will solve this. Two birds with one stone!
I don't think cutting the mountain in half will solve the problem. You will still have to build to the middle of the mountains (between them) and then all the way down. It won't help much.

I just noticed player 5/6/7/8 are closer to gold, iron and coal as well. Maybe it would be an idea to change their positions more to the north as well (but to compensate for that you would need to place the stone mountain even more to the north as well, almost to the top of the map).

Repositioning the small stone mountain, closer to player 2/3 will help, but player 1/4 will still have a huge delay because they have to build to it and it's not really close to them. You could solve this by making a road connection between the players from the start, but this is not ideal either. Player 1/4 will still have a disadvantage because taking the stones from stonecutters' that are so far away will take a considerable amount of time.

The best solution would be to play 1/2/7/8 vs 3/4/5/6, I think.

Edit: a new screenshot of Warfare in the Wilderness for Zoltan. I hope to have the map finished before the next release, and I'll probably script a version with AI players for the release after that one.

Return to “Map Design”