Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 14 Dec 2014, 22:43

Re: The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

And so, this topic was cleaned from a thick layer of dust (in a rather remarkable style).

Anyway, I managed to find a little time here and there and updated Majestic Waters. It is as good as ready for a test game; there are just two things on my to do list:
- Fix the gold on loc 6
- Fix the ruined buildings.
(- Design an evil script that automatically kills any ducks that come near the caverns' entrances? (6) (You know, the storyline says anyone who enters the caverns never returns...))
To fix the ruined buildings I need some help. Is there a way to have them on the map, yet make the Remake believe it is a 6 player map? Because previously it was listed as a 7 player map, despite having only 6 playable locations and a ruined AI town.

(Disclaimer: not helping out with the matter at hand will irreversibly result in a significant amount of spam, possibly -but not necessarily- in Lewin's inbox)

Edit:

The old map:
The new version (only the top, bottom didn't change):

Location 1, 4 and 5 are most affected. Location 1 is now more open and has an extra passage to it in the north.
Location 4:
I removed some of the stone mountain above the storehouse, so it is easier to go up and there is more farming space. I removed the water and added some trees here and there. Also, it is harder to defend at the far west (previously it was possible to lock it all up with some towers from north to south). Instead, it is a bit easier to make a more or less diagonal defence line.
Location 5:
This was the hardest location on the map and needed some serious changes. The main problem was that everything was far away and you had to build in all directions + there wasn't that much farming space. So all in all it was just crap. To solve this at least a bit, I moved most trees from under the storehouse to the left and above to create some farming space. I also added some trees to the right, so you can easily make some stonecutters and add a woodcutter at the end of the row. I moved a lot of coal to the left, so now you can build left and then up/down for iron/gold and build your mines along the way. The third iron mine might still be a problem but I want to test this first. It's all the way in the north-west and I put it there to encourage the player to also build a few watchtowers there to close the entrance between locations 4 and 5, because that's a really weak spot.

As you can see on the screenshot, the battlefield has changed dramatically and it is now much easier to cross it. Obviously the map has to be tested to see if my ideas work, but I think Majestic Waters is going into the right direction. If you (dis)agree, let me know, feedback is welcome. :)
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Dec 2014, 13:41

Please update images

Thank you
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Dec 2014, 14:00

I'd rather he update his editor, to be honest ;)

I think you are heading in the right direction, too. However I disagree with the reasons you thought location 5 was bad. In my opinion, the biggest problem was having to build where you need to defend. I would say that now this problem is mostly solved, but you will have to put a majority of the iron production away from the iron, itself, as there is just too little space there. That said, I see no good spot to place early iron, as the coal kinda gets in the way. The coal looks somewhat strange anyway, and building coal mines on it will be clunky and awkward. Why not separate it into two coal fields; with space for iron production in between them?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 15 Dec 2014, 16:11

Please update images

Thank you
How would that help you?

@Ben: That's worth considering, but I'd like to test this first. If location 5 needs further improvements then I will fix it. Thanks for the feedback. :)
(By the way, location 5 has a little more coal than other locations, so if you waste some it's not a big deal. Therefore I don't think it's a problem that building coal mines will be clunky/awkward. But of course that's a guess.)
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 15 Dec 2014, 20:49

To fix the ruined buildings I need some help. Is there a way to have them on the map, yet make the Remake believe it is a 6 player map? Because previously it was listed as a 7 player map, despite having only 6 playable locations and a ruined AI town.
Just set the player 7 as AI-only in builtin editor.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Dec 2014, 02:29

Don't kid yourself sado, our beloved Dark Lord won't use the RMK editor :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 19 Dec 2014, 09:44

Majestic Waters seems not very suitable for AI players... :? :P
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 19 Dec 2014, 10:19

Yeah, i guess the ai should start taking the real road walking distance into account... perhaps in the next version? :P
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 19 Dec 2014, 11:34

So I just tested location 5, and this is the result:
I think this is not bad. Given that I'm probably out of shape, I had no prebuild or plan and was playing on 2x speed, better players than me could make a really nice army here. :)
I will soon upload the newest version on TS so maybe we can play a testgame some time.

Return to “Map Design”