Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Feb 2013, 07:36

Re: The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

It would be interesting to allow player to have footmen along the way, but somehow forbid them to go into maps center (where AI troops spawn).
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Feb 2013, 09:05

And here's the code for being defeated:
(...)
Of course that's just one way to write it, there are other ways too.
So if I understand correctly, you will only win when every other player has been defeated, but when you play alone, you can't win, as nobody else can be defeated? Sounds like a pretty interesting way to make SP possible.
It would be interesting to allow player to have footmen along the way, but somehow forbid them to go into maps center (where AI troops spawn).
Maybe we could make sprites for spikes in the ground, that will go down only if the enemy walks through. :P
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Feb 2013, 12:16

Where is all this code coming from? Just curious. And also if you use the Mission editor could you make it be (ALL NORMAL PLAYERS ARE ALLIED TO YOU)

(...)

Sorry if this is a very stupid comment, I am just a beginner and like to jump into things even if I look retarded and no one will like me :mrgreen:
This code is a new dynamic scripting system we're making. It's far more powerful than the mission scripting you described because it is executed while the mission is running (based on certain events like the game updating, a player being defeated, etc.). There's also a lot more power, for example I can implement a "King of the Hill" map where the objective is to place a soldier on a certain tile (the hill) and leave him there for 5 minutes, while the other players try to stop him before the 5 minutes is up and put their own soldier there. The 5 minute count down timer can even be coded to be displayed live on-screen. (e.g. "Lewin is king of the hill! He will be victorious in 3:47").

You are right in that a lot of tower defence could be implemented without the script, but there isn't actually a goal to say "you must protect only this tower", goal 6 includes the barracks and your soldiers so that wouldn't work. Also there's no way to give the player rewards (resources in his storehouse) after he defeats each wave. So basically the dynamic scripting means you can do a lot more with your mission and kind of makes the game moddable. You can get an idea of what is possible by looking at the list of commands on our wiki that I linked to on the last page of this thread.
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 18 Feb 2013, 16:07

Where is all this code coming from? Just curious. And also if you use the Mission editor could you make it be (ALL NORMAL PLAYERS ARE ALLIED TO YOU)

(...)

Sorry if this is a very stupid comment, I am just a beginner and like to jump into things even if I look retarded and no one will like me :mrgreen:
This code is a new dynamic scripting system we're making. It's far more powerful than the mission scripting you described because it is executed while the mission is running (based on certain events like the game updating, a player being defeated, etc.). There's also a lot more power, for example I can implement a "King of the Hill" map where the objective is to place a soldier on a certain tile (the hill) and leave him there for 5 minutes, while the other players try to stop him before the 5 minutes is up and put their own soldier there. The 5 minute count down timer can even be coded to be displayed live on-screen. (e.g. "Lewin is king of the hill! He will be victorious in 3:47").

You are right in that a lot of tower defence could be implemented without the script, but there isn't actually a goal to say "you must protect only this tower", goal 6 includes the barracks and your soldiers so that wouldn't work. Also there's no way to give the player rewards (resources in his storehouse) after he defeats each wave. So basically the dynamic scripting means you can do a lot more with your mission and kind of makes the game moddable. You can get an idea of what is possible by looking at the list of commands on our wiki that I linked to on the last page of this thread.
How could I get said script?
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 18 Feb 2013, 18:04

(...)
How could I get said script?
The system you mean? That is in development and it will be released whenever the new demo is finished. The scripts themselves, are up to you to write.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Mar 2013, 15:30

Okay I decided not to make a new topic, this seems a suitable place as well.

I'm very happy with the looks of Majestic Waters but not with the narrow entrances. I finally came to the conclusion I should change my strategy. :P 'Plains of Despair' will therefore mostly be focused on gameplay. This is the plan:
- I will try to make the locations diverse. Some locations will have certain resources close, others will have them further away.
- Enough space to fight and less narrow entrances.
- Some locations will require real good planning because I'll make a lot of snow there.
- More iron and gold than usual (on my maps).

Here is a screenshot from the very small part I already made:

This location won't have much space for towers, and once you've passed the towers you're immediately in the heart of the player's town. Not sure yet about the location of the storehouse, I was thinking about where I made the black cross.
Any tips or suggestions are very welcome, although for now I have just one burning question: to be honest I don't want any grass on this map, which also means it's impossible to make stone mountains... would this be a problem for you?
Edit: Or maybe just a few locations without stone?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Mar 2013, 21:36

...now I have just one burning question: to be honest I don't want any grass on this map, which also means it's impossible to make stone mountains... would this be a problem for you?
Well we all know that this won't happen, because we know that The Dark Lord cannot bring himself to pre-unlock the woodcutter :D
But seriously now, this would help make the map different than others, but not in a good way. My advice is to have grass, but only for stone deposits. Also, the Remake may one day be capable of having snow and stone mixed, so you could easily fix your map if this does happen.

Right now, I don't know if the Remake can hold any more tiles, but if Krom can get it to load more, I think that I may be able to photoshop new tiles. No promises though: I might be completely wrong, but once I get access to my school's lab, I'm going to try.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 17 Mar 2013, 22:12

Yes I think you're right, I dropped the idea. I'll find a way... :P
When do you get access to your school's lab? You made me curious now. :D
Thanks for the feedback, I need more comments like yours. Except the first part, that didn't make any sense. :mrgreen: (Okay it did...)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Mar 2013, 23:01

Tuesday for sure, but I might go in tomorrow if I don't visit my patents.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 24 Mar 2013, 12:48

I've updated Majestic Waters. A download link and screenshot can be found in the first post, for TS users: I'll also upload it there.

- I've reduced the amount of catchable fish from ~140 per player to ~60 per player
- Starting food is the same
- I've added 5 stones to the storehouse
- Gold mine in the north-east (location 4) has been fixed
- Altered the map description

Thanks to the people who tested it. :)
Suggestions and/or comments are always welcome.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Apr 2013, 23:10

I've added Majestic Waters to the Remake. I changed the ruins to be owned by a new player (8) who is a "fixed AI" (always there and not shown in the lobby locations list), meaning the ruins will always be there even if nobody is using the spectator location.

I love the terrain on this map, the water flowing into the caverns and the waterfalls are my favourite bits :) Amazing work as always!

Did you update any of your other maps since r4179? If so let me know so I can download them.

And do you think Tower Defence will be finished for the official release in a few months? (depending on how RC testing goes) We'd love to include it, if you need any help with scripting just let us know. With all the new commands we've added it should be easier than when you first started.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 04 Apr 2013, 23:44

I've added Majestic Waters to the Remake. I changed the ruins to be owned by a new player (8) who is a "fixed AI" (always there and not shown in the lobby locations list), meaning the ruins will always be there even if nobody is using the spectator location.
Thanks, that sounds great. :)
I love the terrain on this map, the water flowing into the caverns and the waterfalls are my favourite bits :) Amazing work as always!
Thanks again, I put quite some effort on the terrain (more than usual).
Did you update any of your other maps since r4179? If so let me know so I can download them.
No I didn't. I might update some, but I'll let you know on time.
And do you think Tower Defence will be finished for the official release in a few months? (depending on how RC testing goes) We'd love to include it, if you need any help with scripting just let us know. With all the new commands we've added it should be easier than when you first started.
I'm very busy these days. To illustrate: yesterday I continued my work until 5 AM to reach a deadline. I hope I'll have more time in 2 weeks and then I'll probably find some time to work on it. I'll try to finish it before the next release, but testing it requires a lot of time. The main problem is that you have to know whether a wave is defeatable or not or if it is too easy. And once you got the first four waves right, and the fifth is too hard, you have to start with the first wave again... I guess I'll ask some players to help me testing it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 Apr 2013, 03:41

I'm very busy these days. To illustrate: yesterday I continued my work until 5 AM to reach a deadline. I hope I'll have more time in 2 weeks and then I'll probably find some time to work on it. I'll try to finish it before the next release, but testing it requires a lot of time. The main problem is that you have to know whether a wave is defeatable or not or if it is too easy. And once you got the first four waves right, and the fifth is too hard, you have to start with the first wave again... I guess I'll ask some players to help me testing it.
Sorry to hear that, I hope things quieten down before too long. Good luck with it, and if you need any help when you do find time for tower defence just let me know :)
<<

Debaron

The Dukes of Burgundy Clan

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 05 Apr 2013, 07:05

Hi, just to let know I'm pretty excited for the Tower Defense map, so I'd be happy to help test it on behalf of the "average" players ;)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 05 Apr 2013, 16:02

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep this in mind. ;)

Return to “Map Design”