Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

New Multiplayer Map

<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 16 Jan 2012, 20:44

Re: New Multiplayer Map

By 'standard terrain', you mean...?
I used bumpy sand, that strange type of grass, walls, bridges, and a swampy water (don't know what i should call it :P) in addition to the "normal" types.
I mean you didn't use the dirt/grass mixture, and your swamp seemed too random. O, and IMO bumpy sand should be used on elevated sand spots or along the coast.
IMO, you should vary your terrain more.
Thanks! By almost everywhere i think you mean the Right Side of the river! This passed unnoticed, by me, and even lewin :D
I see, I wasn't really clear here. Almost everywhere almost flat. It is IMO too flat.
I just wanted to give the river a "furious" look. I wanted it to look fast, and dangerous... maybe i over exaggerated a bit?
though i will need more opinions to convince me to change it
It is KaM, nothing is fast.
I'll do some improvements, all right. But right now what i need is to check the balance between the two teams, and the lonely player. And, a map can always be improved :D

Don't worry about defending the bridge, it is too far away from the starting positions to be a real "choke point".
It also needs more rocks and stuff on it.
I put no objects because i didn't know if i should put objects on that type of terrain... but thanks for the advice.
No, it is my third :/
What are the other two?
Stranded 4P and 8P (this one i forgot to put starting gold on the storehouse -.-
it came out last release but is unplayable... :?
The other one hasn't been released. "Frozen Canyons" Its 1v1.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 16 Jan 2012, 20:53

Liked how Stranded looks, haven't played it though.
Though I had the same terrain idea about that one.(No(t enough) mixtures.)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Jan 2012, 17:44

I've taken a look as well and I noticed a few things:

- The players on the right start with a road between each other, while the players at the bottom don't (and they actually need it harder because their stone is at the bottom)
- (in response to GWB's comment:) The elevation in the water may seem too much in the editor, but it might be okay in the Remake
- I dislike the huge bridge. It looks very unrealistic. Also, try to randomize the direction of the tiles like you did on the huge bridge (compare it to the other bridges)
- Resources are very far away for the player in the top right. Surely the stone is close, but I'm not sure if that compensates enough (should be tested)
- I see you tried to make mountains which are high on one side and low on the other. The high ground on one side of the mountain should be going down gradually. At the moment it's not really smooth and you can clearly see it has become some sort of plateau. If you zoom out you will notice even better (this is also because the rest of the map is quite flat)

I'm much better at criticizing than at giving compliments as you noticed. But don't worry, it looks like an interesting map and a 1v2v2 map could be very useful. :)
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 17 Jan 2012, 18:18

*Voice of Cleveland Brown* I watched it in the remake.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 17 Jan 2012, 19:24

I've taken a look as well and I noticed a few things:
- The players on the right start with a road between each other, while the players at the bottom don't (and they actually need it harder because their stone is at the bottom)
- (in response to GWB's comment:) The elevation in the water may seem too much in the editor, but it might be okay in the Remake
- I dislike the huge bridge. It looks very unrealistic. Also, try to randomize the direction of the tiles like you did on the huge bridge (compare it to the other bridges)
- Resources are very far away for the player in the top right. Surely the stone is close, but I'm not sure if that compensates enough (should be tested)
- I see you tried to make mountains which are high on one side and low on the other. The high ground on one side of the mountain should be going down gradually. At the moment it's not really smooth and you can clearly see it has become some sort of plateau. If you zoom out you will notice even better (this is also because the rest of the map is quite flat)
º To improve the bridge, i have two options - Split the bridge into two smaller ones, or turn it all into sand.
º The road for the top-right players was made exactly because of the gold and iron being lower down and the difficulty of the top player in reaching it. I will solve it adding a small gold mountain close by and adding a road between the two bottom players also, because of the stone.
º I will also increase the whole map's relief then.
- Mountain (cliff/plateau) problem is solved.
º I will add some "grassy-dirt" to the map and maybe other terrains.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 17 Jan 2012, 20:09

here it is!
http://www.multiupload.com/3XY79GOPOU
I now just need or split the big bridge into two smaller ones, or turn it all into sand. :D
what will it be??

if anything is awry, just let me know!!!

Return to “Map Design”