Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Are TYPE1 attacks also semi-broken?

<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 15 Dec 2011, 17:05

Are TYPE1 attacks also semi-broken?

I've been trying to get a bunch of TYPE1 attacks to happen after each other, but no matter what I seem to do it seems that only every second attack occurs for some reason. Is there also some bug in TPR which makes only every second TYPE1 attack occur?

Also what is the difference if you put a TYPE1 attack with a counter vs. a TYPE0/TYPE2 attack with a counter? (they don't seem to repeat after the counter from what I've tested)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Dec 2011, 18:39

As far as I know, TYPE 1 attacks work fine. (I haven't had problems with it.)

The counter is only useful for TYPE 1 attacks, because TYPE 0 and TYPE 2 attacks will be launched as soon as the required amount of soldiers is available. So if you want an army to attack after 1 hour and you set a counter to achieve this, if the attack is a TYPE 0 or TYPE 2 attack the counter will be ignored.

On the other hand, it is possible to create a functioning attack by mixing up certain attacks. An example:

!SET_AI_ATTACK TYPE 2
!SET_AI_ATTACK TOTAL_AMOUNT 1
!SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 0 0
!SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 1 0
!SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 2 1
!SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 3 0
!SET_AI_ATTACK COUNTER 50
!SET_AI_ATTACK TARGET 0
!COPY_AI_ATTACK 0

I used this attack in mission 6 from The New Lands, and the archers were acting rather nicely, attacking my troops instead of just blindly walking into them. My theory is that because it's a TYPE 2 attack, the AI will keep recalculating where he has to attack. Yet I don't know if that's just coincidence or if it really works this way. Unfortunately the only time I've tried this was in mission 6 TNL.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 18 Dec 2011, 13:31

Re:

You were right, TYPE1 attacks do work fine. Seems like I just seriously failed at counting how many troops the enemy had at the time. :P
The counter is only useful for TYPE 1 attacks, because TYPE 0 and TYPE 2 attacks will be launched as soon as the required amount of soldiers is available. So if you want an army to attack after 1 hour and you set a counter to achieve this, if the attack is a TYPE 0 or TYPE 2 attack the counter will be ignored.
Adding a counter to a TYPE2 attack seems to work fine, just tested it as a matter of fact. Don't know about counters and TYPE0 attacks though.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Dec 2011, 14:13

Re: Are TYPE1 attacks also semi-broken?

I've also used counters in TYPE 2, but they don't work in TYPE 0 AFAIK.
It basically just sets a delay before the first attack may occur. In TYPE 1 there only is one attack, but in TYPE 2 there are multiple. When I tested this for my editor I found that it only delayed the first attack. Subsequent attacks happened as soon as they had enough troops.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Dec 2011, 23:53

Re: Are TYPE1 attacks also semi-broken?

Yes I'm sorry, surely they work with TYPE 2 attacks. I don't know why I said they didn't, I've used counters in TYPE 2 attacks myself.

Return to “Map Design”