Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Antarctica

<<

Mau5trap

Peasant

Post 26 Dec 2011, 19:34

Antarctica

Hello :D

I joined remake about 1 month ago, and It's awsome to be able to play online with other people, one of the only things lacking in KaM. My younger brother caykroyd recently created a map (Stranded) and was implemented in this recent patch (He forgot the GOLD HAHAHAHA), and while playing yesterday I noticed very few snow maps, that I think are very cool...so I decided to make one :D

Its a big 4P map (and could be made 8P too). 1 Player each corner, big ice patch melting down in the middle. As normally there isn't much iron in normal maps, i thought making a snow/iron map would be new to KaM. Because of that there is plenty of coal/iron and not so much wood/wood planting places. The players even start with coal and iron ore to hint them in making iron based troops. The one who controls the middle has an advantage on other players by being able to put troops on the plateau's.

Have a look and give me feedback as this is my first map, and I only had help from my bro.

Regards,
Mau5trap :mrgreen:

@edit:
Link to Map - http://www.4shared.com/file/D98GSALB/Antarctica.html?
Link to .dat - http://www.4shared.com/file/4utgMWo6/Antarctica.html?

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 27 Dec 2011, 03:17

Re: Antarctica

I think the idea for this map is good. :) It needs a lot of polishing:
- More objects
- Improve elevation (looks bad at some places and other places are too flat and regular)
- Smoother coal (make it more like in your brothers map, with less dense areas at the edges, but the middle can still be richest)
- Tile edges on some gold hills look bad
- Better distribution of resources (bottom left has much easier access to more iron IMO)

I especially like the plateaus and the frozen center area of the map :)
Also I'm not sure about the name, Antarctica doesn't have any trees/large exposed rock mountains (to my knowledge, I've never been there :P) I would prefer "Arctic" because that can refer to areas inside the Arctic circle where trees can still grow. But it's your map :)
Also, nobody lived in Antarctica until recent times, so it's not at all historically accurate. (and sounds a bit strange to me) But the Arctic has had people living there a long time as far as I know.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 27 Dec 2011, 11:23

Whooooo nice thinking!!!
Though I think loc 1 hasn't got enough fertile soil.
Lewin is right about iron.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 28 Dec 2011, 19:25

Looks pretty good. I pretty much agree with Lewin.
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Map Design”