Stone Mountains. (tiles) ;)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Sep 2014, 15:53

Re: PAKER TEAM Maps [MULTI]

I provoked AI by walking near them. Then that one troop chased me until it caught me. So, is it possible to make them not chase me around the map, but come back at their previous position after they chase me for some time/some distance?
No it's not possible to change that from the map editor, it's something we need to change in the AI code. They give up pursuing after a while in the original game, so I guess we should implement that too. I'll add it to the to do list.
1. Why most AI players don´t make ALL troops? Some players could make like 20 more soldiers but they made one soldiers per min for example (In MP after Peacetime the AI should make all avaible soldier once, or is that a bad idea ? )
I guess PAKER didn't set the AI to "unlimited equip rate" which makes them equip soldiers as fast as possible.
2.) The AI player on east from Tiank´s town had stones and wood in his storehosue. Is there a reason why he stopped building?
The AI aims to produce a certain number of weapons per minute, to match the requested equip rate. So if you tell the AI to make a solider every 100 seconds, they will only make a small weapons production then stop.

Basically the AI isn't configured correctly in this map. Click the "aggressive AI builder" button, save the map, and the problems will be solved.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Sep 2014, 15:54

Hello Paker, this is the first time I comment on your maps here. Just because I finally see some progress in your work so take that as a compliment :) I like the basic idea of this map. It's a balanced set up for all players so differences between skill level will be bigger than normal which is nice I think. Downside is that after a few games it could be boring to play on the same locations again and again. Still I think this map can be improved a lot so here some points from me.

for looks:
- try to hide places where you copied terrain, at some places I can still see sharp edges
- it looks better to use the 1st tile of coal in the editor for the edges of the coalfields (look at 174 205 or 32 189)
- try to use tile variation on your iron mountains (which doesn't contain iron) but especially on the stone mountains
- fix (or hide) tiles that are sharp or look unnatural like 224 193 or 209 179 and 201 214 for example
- try to use different stone details on the coalfields
- try to avoid straight mountains like 4 49 or 157 173 (I have seen way worse from you, so this is a minor point)
- think about elevating mountains more (unless you like to have them this flat)
- the waterfall (and the ground around, especially the eastside) in the middle is not elevated properly so it looks not like a good one should look like
- for sand there are 2 different tiles available you could use manually to make the middle sand area more interesting
- in some spots (like 187 183) I see the same dead tree spammed up to 7 times
- trees on mountains like 189 226 dont look natural
- trees like 166 1 are placed too much to the top of the screen

for gameplay:
- I'm worried that most people will play at the corners since it's too easy defend here
- there is too less coal available near the iron and too much near the gold
- the starting resources are way too high to be a challenge (half food would still be enough)
- places like 179 202 are supposed to be unwalkable I think, but still troops can walk through there
- please consider to remove most of the crabs in the middle (they will block troops) I've never heard of a gg because of crabs but I believe it's possible here :O
- the mines of some players can be attacked by shooting over the mountains
- like suggested, relocate storehouses to be as equal to each other as possible

I hope this is enough feedback to work with. Good luck, take your time and keep us updated please.

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 13 Sep 2014, 16:28

Hello Paker, this is the first time I comment on your maps here. Just because I finally see some progress in your work so take that as a compliment :) I like the basic idea of this map. It's a balanced set up for all players so differences between skill level will be bigger than normal which is nice I think. Downside is that after a few games it could be boring to play on the same locations again and again. Still I think this map can be improved a lot so here some points from me.

Thanks !
A few points already made ​​in your list :)
The next version of the map will be tomorrow at noon or sooner.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2014, 08:08

for looks:
- try to hide places where you copied terrain, at some places I can still see sharp edges
- it looks better to use the 1st tile of coal in the editor for the edges of the coalfields (look at 174 205 or 32 189)
- try to use tile variation on your iron mountains (which doesn't contain iron) but especially on the stone mountains
- fix (or hide) tiles that are sharp or look unnatural like 224 193 or 209 179 and 201 214 for example
- try to use different stone details on the coalfields
- try to avoid straight mountains like 4 49 or 157 173 (I have seen way worse from you, so this is a minor point)
- think about elevating mountains more (unless you like to have them this flat)
- the waterfall (and the ground around, especially the eastside) in the middle is not elevated properly so it looks not like a good one should look like
- for sand there are 2 different tiles available you could use manually to make the middle sand area more interesting
- in some spots (like 187 183) I see the same dead tree spammed up to 7 times
- trees on mountains like 189 226 dont look natural
- trees like 166 1 are placed too much to the top of the screen

DONE

for gameplay:
- I'm worried that most people will play at the corners since it's too easy defend here
It Depends on the team.
- there is too less coal available near the iron and too much near the gold
I know.
- the starting resources are way too high to be a challenge (half food would still be enough)
I reduced a little
- places like 179 202 are supposed to be unwalkable I think, but still troops can walk through there
fix
- please consider to remove most of the crabs in the middle (they will block troops) I've never heard of a gg because of crabs but I believe it's possible here :O
I reduced a little
- the mines of some players can be attacked by shooting over the mountains
ehhhh I know :/Lewin it could forbid - a unit shoot through the mountains ... (if the mountains are only an obstacle. Otherwise when of any website is the increase can already shoot).
- like suggested, relocate storehouses to be as equal to each other as possible
No. Because the map will then be boring ... the only variety is such that at some locations is closer to gold on the other to the iron and the other to the center of the map.

I hope this is enough feedback to work with. Good luck, take your time and keep us updated please.
thx

To
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 14 Sep 2014, 09:12

A couple of notes:
-it's not a good excuse that Lewin could make mountains an obstacle for archers, for your inability to make the map properly. You should change the map. Just make sure every player has same problems (either make all players vulnerable to an attack, or make them all safe)
-you say "it depends on the team" but since I think this map really works well for FFA I am asking you to try to make it more equal also for corner locations.
-storehouses don't really have to be the same in my opinion. Just make sure every location are ok with wood and stone and the rest can vary.
-I dislike how every location's terrain looks same. You don't have to change locations to make them LOOK different. Just change terrain, and mountains elevation - you can leave the "layout" but still have the locations look less "copied".

We (well, I made the lobby then gone to spectate :P) played an FFA, x2,5 speed, peacetime 40, 8 player game with some Teamspeak guys, and it was quite fun(ny). Check the replay in attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Sep 2014, 09:37

A couple of notes:
-it's not a good excuse that Lewin could make mountains an obstacle for archers, for your inability to make the map properly. You should change the map. Just make sure every player has same problems (either make all players vulnerable to an attack, or make them all safe)
-you say "it depends on the team" but since I think this map really works well for FFA I am asking you to try to make it more equal also for corner locations.
-storehouses don't really have to be the same in my opinion. Just make sure every location are ok with wood and stone and the rest can vary.
-I dislike how every location's terrain looks same. You don't have to change locations to make them LOOK different. Just change terrain, and mountains elevation - you can leave the "layout" but still have the locations look less "copied".

We (well, I made the lobby then gone to spectate :P) played an FFA, x2,5 speed, peacetime 40, 8 player game with some Teamspeak guys, and it was quite fun(ny). Check the replay in attachment.
I was there in that test game.
Hm i found some serious terrian mistakes in the game. Loc7 stone mountain, bad tile connections and the can work tiles arent perfect also/slide9/.
About the same locs, i didnt see that in the game.As sado mentoined better if change the colors of some locs, it isnt big issue. I think to the best could be if smesh better the margins of the locations. The same colorored isnt as huge problem than this. I made a picture how can you solve this visual thing.
Store house: trade those pluss stuffs. Gold ore and coal arent necesarry. But the lot stone can skip the early stoners so that can make the game interesting.
I wondered the no towers rule, but i think to this is enough only for the corner locs.
Anyway seems your forests are working well with those young trees.
Some small changes and GG.
This will be your best best map Paker so please try to make the corrections and your map will develop onto a higher level.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2014, 12:26

Work in progress ...

:)
<<

Kamykos

Pikeman

Post 14 Sep 2014, 12:30

I played it today with PAKER 1vs1 and I have to say that I liked it. Only two things I couldn't stand:
-too much copying
-only one entrance for corner locations is not enough (I agree with sado here).
Work in progress ...
:)
I hope your map will be as original as this...
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 14 Sep 2014, 13:08

I played it today with PAKER 1vs1 and I have to say that I liked it. Only two things I couldn't stand:
-too much copying
-only one entrance for corner locations is not enough (I agree with sado here).
THIS IS CUBE ! ! ! ;)

Cube is always similar to each other on each side. :D

One entrance for corner....

There will be no better. corner will have a single input.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 14 Sep 2014, 17:09

Yeah, why would you even try to balance maps? People will play them anyway... right?
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 15 Sep 2014, 13:56

Any ideas for something to do here?
Corner locations difficult to change :/
<<

Kamykos

Pikeman

Post 15 Sep 2014, 15:46

Well, maybe move this gold mountain(with 262 gold) to the left and delete this "silver" part of that mountain (with no gold). It will make this entrance wider.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 28 Sep 2014, 07:57

Hello

Cube (v7)

+ each player has a unique starting area.
+ fix bugs

Return to “Map Design”