Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

I Am Making a Mission.dat Editor

<<

JBSnorro

Barbarian

Post 22 Nov 2007, 18:19

I would like to sign up as well. I speak dutch. I think it would be best if you'll send us both each half of the texts?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 Nov 2007, 22:48

I just found a "bug"!
I edited a mission, while the game was running (don't know if this information is necessary) and saved, when i was done. But then the Editor crashed! I opened the mission again with your editor and the HALF script was gone!
I just played around a little bit, so thats no problem...
I just want to tell it to you :wink:
I think that would be becuase you had the game running, so both progams were trying to read/write it at once. So the lession from this it, don't have the mission running when you click save. (if you exit to the results thing then it should be ok, or save your game)
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 24 Nov 2007, 09:23

Well, okay!

In a other thread I read, that you are making a GUI now? Great! 8)
So you'll release it by christmas? Or earlier?
And how are you making the GUI? I know Delphi, and I think, Lazarus is almost similar with Delphi :wink:

Cannot wait till Village building will go faster!!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 27 Nov 2007, 10:26

0.2 Released!!!!!

Hi Guys!
I am very happy to announce the release of version 0.2 of my editor!
Changes:
- Added the following translations: German, Dutch, Polish and Bosnian.
- Added a help file
- Fixed some bugs
This is not in this release but have a look at this:
Don't get too exited, there is still lots to do. This is from a map I have made with Krom's editor as there are still some problems loading the original maps.
I think by about the 15th of December I should have a version available. Then I will make it fully graphical so you don't have to see the source at all!
Then I might add a map editor or something, but I am open to suggestions for tools that are needed for KaM.
Lewin.
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Nov 2007, 14:02

Hey!
Good to know that you are so engaged making a editor :wink:
Im waiting for the 15th december.
The map looks already good, but i know its not easy to script things like that.
Cuz the really important would be a GUI, which you'r going to make.

Ohh, and nice release^^
<<

harold

Knight

Post 27 Nov 2007, 16:25

Lewin, you should know that while the tiles are saved 32x32, they are 40x40 in-game. While this on itself is no problem, the houses are scaled to fit 40x40 tiles and won't look well on 32x32 (downsampling makes them look odd, especially the shadow looks odd). Also, in KAM they are point-sampled, so you may have to alter the renderstate (usually defaults to bilinear, right? at least it did for me) if you want it to look more like KAM.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 27 Nov 2007, 20:04

Hey this looks good! It's nice seeing an actual screenshot of your upcoming work. This placing of units/buildings/whatever by using coordinates is most likely what is keeping a lot of people from creating new campaigns/missions.
Let us hope that you can get this editor finished. Two people have tired before you and failed, will you end up being the savior? :D

Also I don't know how your mission editor handles the ATTACK TYPE 2. Just incase, thanks to The Dark Lord I was notified that the AI cannot start their attacking process with an attack of this type! To allow the AI to execute a TYPE 2 attack, they have to do another type of attack before this (TYPE 0 or TYPE 1), or a "fake attack" must be created, like:
  Code:
!SET_AI_ATTACK TYPE 1 !SET_AI_ATTACK TOTAL_AMOUNT 500 !SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 0 9 !SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 1 9 !SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 2 9 !SET_AI_ATTACK TROUP_AMOUNT 3 9 !SET_AI_ATTACK TARGET 0 !SET_AI_ATTACK COUNTER 0 !COPY_AI_ATTACK 0[/quote] If you look at the code you will clearly notice that it is almost impossible for the AI to have 500 soldiers at the very start of the mission, so this attack will be skipped by the AI. However, it is an efficient way in making the TYPE 2 attack work without any side effects (Extra TYPE 0 or 1 attacks)!
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 01 Dec 2007, 20:03

Did you noticed that there is a news-post again about your editor at www.knightsandmerchants.de?
Belive it or don't, but evryone is waiting for your next version + :wink:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 09 Dec 2007, 05:03

News Update

Hi everyone!
I thought it is about time for a news update so you know what's going on!
Progress with the mission editor:
- Now loads the original KaM maps (tile rotation error)
- The tiles are now 40X40 pixel, so buildings will fit on top of them
- It tells you where your cursor is in the status bar
- There is now a white square on the mini map to show you where you are, and you can click to go to
- It now supports all map sizes without running out of memory and crashing! (yay! I spent about a week fixing that!)
Screenshot:
I have got a beta version for people to test:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/downloads/KaMEdit-0.3_BETA.zip
This cannot do anything useful, just load and display a map. If you find anything that goes wrong PLEASE let me know. Known issues:
- If you load a 192X192 map and go to the right edge then press the scroll across arrow, it crashes.
That's it but I am sure there are more, you just have to find them!
All of the new text will always be displayed in english, I didn't bother getting it translated for such a minor release.
In other news, I have made a program called Map2Bitmap and that's right, it converts map files into bitmaps for you! This would be very useful for people trying to make an editor.
You can download it from here for 40X40 pixel tiles:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/downloads/map2bitmap-0.6-40.zip EDIT: 12-12-07 Updated to 0.6
Or here for 16X16 pixel tiles (I made this for Thunderwolf's editor)
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/downloads/map2bitmap-0.6-16.zip EDIT: 12-12-07 Updated to 0.6
If you have another size that you would like me to do please tell me.
Also, Lucbach of the polish fan site has nearly finished a complete remake of the editor website for me. It should be released within a week!
I will let you know after the next big breakthrough, although that could be a while as next I am going to make it parse and load the script into my own format so I can show stuff on the map.
Lewin.
P.S. It is going to take longer than I thought so I won't release a stable version by the 15th. It may only be until next year, but I am trying my hardest.
<<

The_Crow_

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 10 Dec 2007, 15:29

Good work Lewin 8) Just keep on :D

I updated the news in the German forum :wink:

btw
The Knight said that a second person should overwork the German translation. What do you think about?
I thought if it shall be done, then only by Merchator or The Knight :roll:
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 10 Dec 2007, 16:29

btw
The Knight said that a second person should overwork the German translation. What do you think about?
I thought if it shall be done, then only by Merchator or The Knight
The German Translation of the website or the translation of the tool?
Why he said this?
Well, it's not perfect, but nobody is perfect. Every german knows what you have written :wink: I don't know if I could make it better than you ^^

PS.: I talk to a german in english. It's strange, isn't it? :lol:
P.S. It is going to take longer than I thought so I won't release a stable version by the 15th. It may only be until next year, but I am trying my hardest.
Ohh, no problem.
It's important THAT there will be an release. And coding a GUI isn't that easy at all, I know Delphi (Lazarus) myself, I used it when I made my decoder :wink:

PS.: Will the next version already include the GUI? (Well, i read your road-map, but maybe there are some changes?)
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 10 Dec 2007, 18:57

Hey this looks good! It's not much yet, but proof that it's indeed getting closer and closer :D Can't wait for the day when mission scripting for Knights and Merchants will be just as easy as for any other RTS game! :)
<<

The_Crow_

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 11 Dec 2007, 13:32

The German Translation of the website or the translation of the tool?
Why he said this?
Well, it's not perfect, but nobody is perfect. Every german knows what you have written :wink: I don't know if I could make it better than you ^^

PS.: I talk to a german in english. It's strange, isn't it? :lol:
The translation of the tool. He said it was in some parts bad translated. So if more people ask to fix the German translation, then we should do it. Until then it will stay so :wink:

P.S. I'm not a German, I am from Bosnia, but I was living in Germany for 5 years :) It's funny that I speak, write and read German better than some germans :D 8) :lol:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 20 Dec 2007, 10:23

Website Upgrade

Hello everybody!
I have just released an upgrade to the editor website! I don't mean one of the updates when I change the news etc, I mean a completely new look done by a professional website designer! (Lucbach, the administrator of the polish fansite http://knights.sztab.com)
Check it out:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam
I will do some more stuff to it soon (eg. map2bitmap, a spot for uploading missions you have made, etc.)
In other news, the GUI is going well, it is now loading some of the data into a tree view. This will replace editing the script as text. I will also display buildings etc on the map. Here is a new screenshot:
In reply to comments on the thread:
If someone wants to revise the german translation that is fine by me. I don't really mind though.
The next official stable release will have the GUI, maybe not completely finished but it will have something.
I don't think it will ever be as easy as games like age of empire or whatever, but I will try my best.
Will keep you posted! (pardon the pun)
Lewin.
<<

Daniel_15

Serf

Post 21 Dec 2007, 13:09

Hi!

Lewin, your website is cool!
I wait for next versions your editor for Test!.

Return to “Other Creations”