Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

I Am Making a Mission.dat Editor

<<

The_Crow_

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 24 Dec 2007, 22:13

Hi Lewin,

I'm sorry for answering to you so late, but I had stuff to do because of holidays, you know :wink:

The new look of the website is perfect, I really like it :D

I will translate the website upgrades into german at least by 27th of december :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! :)
<<

Daniel_15

Serf

Post 27 Dec 2007, 18:07

You have something new "Lewin"?
Maybe some version for testing? :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 04 Jan 2008, 01:58

Hi everyone

Hi Everyone,
I got back from holidays yesterday. I received about 5 fan emails, thanks everyone who sent me one. I also got an offer for a french translation, I will add that to the website soon. I have been checking the forum to see what has happened while I was away. I won't be releasing a test version yet as it can't do anything to test, just display some stuff in a tree view. I am still making the section of the site where you can upload missions you have made, it should go online today! I will then continue the editor. If I get to making the map editor I will allow editing of .map files. (unlike krom)
I might post a screenshot soon.
Lewin.

EDIT: The mission upload section on the site is now online! :D Please upload all your missions. I am now working on the editor again.
<<

Sebrav

Recruit

Post 21 Feb 2008, 17:54

I can try translate it to danish...
<<

Chrisman

Post 24 Feb 2008, 22:34

I've recently come across your site and it looks awesome!

I'd love for you to make the GUI, I want to edit multi player levels for me and my friend but I'm currently put off by the co-ordinate system, so eagerly awaiting further developments!

Chrisman!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Mar 2008, 08:37

0.4 Beta

Hi Guys!
I have released 0.4 Beta!!!!!!!!
Download it here:
http://lewin.namsys.com.au/kam/index.php?go=knights_and_merchants_editor_download

Screenshot:

Changes:
- The tree view is fully implemented
- It has multiplayer support in the tree view
- The tree view supports comments (// on the end of lines)
- You can still edit as text if you like, in another tab
- The coordinates on the map tab are now correct
- Crashes are now handled nicely (a dialogue tells you what's happened)
- Troop and Building dialogues are now include health lost, moving to position etc. in the one dialogue
This release may have a few bugs, so please report them!
The translations in this release are not complete, some stuff will stay as english. I might do a 0.5 with translations and some bug fixes.
Please tell me what you think.
@ Merchant_992/The_Crow: Could you please post an update on my thread on the Dutch/German forums?
@ Chrisman: I'm glad you like it! This version does not help much with co-ordinates but it is easier to use, and multiplayer missions are much easier. I hope you and your friend have success. Have a look in the help file of the latest version of the editor, it has a page under examples that explains more about multiplayer scripting.
@ Sebrav: Thanks for the offer. Could you please give me you email address so I can send you the text to translate? (PM or Email)
Got to go now, it's late. Happy Editing!!!
Lewin.
<<

harold

Knight

Post 07 Mar 2008, 11:29

Very nice, I have a few suggestions though: could you detect 64bit systems and automatically change "program files" to "program files (x86)"? Just as an extra feature, it would be nice but not necessary :)
The program icon does not show at the top of the window, but it does in the taskbar, is it supposed to behave like that?
When there is no map loaded, the map is black and has a size, and if you scroll around on it, it's grass (this is reason for worrying, what memory are you reading from? do you zero out a buffer? is it just a random piece of ram? do you treat a zero-size as "filled with zero's"?)
Map is not updated when a mission is loaded unless you go to a different tab (and, in fact, loaded Every time again when you switch to it, or at least it looks like it)
In K&M, the tiles are point-sampled, but I'll understand if you like a linear filter better
You cannot scroll all the way to the bottom of some maps

So, buildings/roads on the map will be the next step? (trees maybe? if you want them, don't hesitate mail me about them, since they're not indexed in a way that you would expect)
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 07 Mar 2008, 11:48

Haven't tested this one, but in 0.3 it said add to second stock twice, but the second is add to barracks (add_weapon)
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Mar 2008, 22:48

Hi Harold,
The Program Files thing is fixed. (hard coded) You only have to do it once and clicking browse is not such a big deal....
I know about the program icon, that was in all version. I have no idea why it happens.
About the map: The map loading in this version is NOT perfect. The grass is not loaded randomly. (this is Pascal, that sort of thing rarely happens) The grass is the default tile value in the map data object. So if you don't load a map it is requested to repaint the images it will load defaults. (0 for everything) I will have a look into this at some point, like when the map is actually used for something useful.
Yes, it reloads every time you change tab, and it won't update if you open a mission when you are on the map tab. As I said, the map is NOT working properly.
For simplicity I just stitch 40X40 pixel tiles together, I don't stretch it as one like it should be done. This would take more effort and who cares? It looks fine as it is.
You cannot scroll all the way to the bottom of some maps
Are you sure about that? Is it a specific size or what? I know nothing of this problem.
Anyway, you haven't found any problems with the tree view so that's good.
Yes, road, buildings, AI defence positions all displaying on the map will be next. Could you please email me all the building/unit offsets? (I heard that you have worked these out)
Trees etc. I won't bother about yet, they are fairly unimportant. And any way, as I said in the help road map I will be merging projects with Krom once I have stuff loading on the map so trees and elevation will be done for me. :D
@ Thunderwolf: Opps! I forgot to fix that error. Hopefully the icon will help people understand but I will fix it for the next release.
Anyone have some positive feedback?
Lewin.
P.S. The entire source code of the program is over 16,000 lines of code!!!! That is just source code, not images and stuff. That's a lot.....
<<

harold

Knight

Post 08 Mar 2008, 15:19

Building/unit offsets are in the RX files, but you'd have to hardcode the conversion from building/unit number (as appears in the mission) to the index in the rx file
I'm very sure about the scrolling problem, but it could be due to my messing around :roll:
(as for the the rest, they're all just minor things)

How exactly do you display that map? (are we talking about a giant bitmap here or is it OpenGL/DirectX drawn?)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 11 Mar 2008, 04:28

Hi,
Yes, I know that the offsets are in the RX files but you told me in an email that they are not exactly right, and you had to offset the off set.
I have only compared that scolling thing with what Krom's editor displays. What size was the map that wouldn't work?
I first tried a giant bitmap but I found that there is a limit to how much image you can have loaded at once. So I then made it 4 1024X1024 images that move around as you move the map. (this can be seen if you scroll really fast) I did think of using an opengl type thing but this works so why bother. :wink:
Lewin.
<<

harold

Knight

Post 11 Mar 2008, 10:39

as long as you do not try to put the working unit inside a building, or making units walk, the normal offsets should do fine
<<

Sebrav

Recruit

Post 12 Mar 2008, 18:39

I am very sorry, but, i can't do it...
Try to ask MrVV for it. he can.
My profile will be deleted soon.
I'm sorry.
<<

MrVV

Axe Fighter

Post 28 Mar 2008, 19:12

Lewin, i have your editor, this is nice.
But i have a question:

Are you still going to make it graphical?

But your editor is still the best.

MrVV
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 28 Mar 2008, 19:24

I'm pretty sure that he is still doing this, no worries. Just needs time, making an editor isn't real easy :wink:

Return to “Other Creations”