Attention KaM Remake map authors

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Aug 2012, 02:52

Attention KaM Remake map authors

There are some changes in the upcoming KaM Remake release that will probably effect ALL building maps:

1. Elevation blocking building/walking has been made to match KaM TPR/TSK. Before the values were approximate, now they are exact. This means more areas can't be walked on because they are too steep.
Solution:
The KaM Remake editor no longer damages map files for Krom's editor, so in the upcoming release it is safe to edit your map with it. Send me your email address asking for the beta of the upcoming release. Open the map in the KaM Remake editor, and drag the "view passability" slider to "canBuild". Click on the terrain -> heights tabs, click elevate and then the wine barrel (circle). Drag the two sliders down to 1, that's best minor adjustments like this. Look around each players area and use left click to elevate, right click to lower. Try to make all of the tiles in the area where the palyer will build highlighted green, meaning they can be built. Please note, trees block building on the tile below and to the right so don't worry that there are unbuildable areas at every tree.
Screenshot:

2. The amount of food units start their life with has been decreased by 12 minutes to match TPR. Check this topic for more info and discussion. This means that the original amounts of starting food in most maps just isn't enough any more. Some multiplayer maps only have about 50 food, which means you'll almost certainly starve.

In the TSK campaign maps you usually start with 100-300 food. In the TSK/TPR multiplayer maps, you started with 100-200 depending on which setting you chose in the lobby. I propose this rough guide for map authors based on my current experience playing:
100 food: Low amount of starting food. Players will need to build food production before weapons to not have starving villagers.
150 food: Average amount of starting food. Building weapon and food productions at the same time should be fine.
200 food: High amount of starting food. Building iron production before food should be possible, but food production will still be necessary after that.

Feel free to comment on this guide, I haven't played a lot of games in the release candidate. Please adjust the amount of starting resources in your maps accordingly.

I encourage you to make these two changes to your own maps and test them a bit yourself. If you have contact with a map author please give them a link to this topic so they are aware of it. However, because some map authors aren't really active in the community anymore, I'll probably end up fixing some of them myself (I'll go with around 150 food)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 21 Aug 2012, 11:37

Re: Attention KaM Remake map authors

I didn't really know where to put this but I want to say that it's awesome that we now can see how much resources a mountain/coal field contains. It's also funny to see that when I'm trying to give every player the same amount by counting the tiles I make mistakes and end up with one player having 30 more gold, while on my new map Majestic Waters I managed to give two players exactly 857 coal while I just compared the fields and thought 'okay this should be fairly equal'. :P
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Sep 2012, 02:43

Truely amazing, I had sort of the same when cutting a rock in 2, they both hold 750 stone now. But I also have a question I don't know where to put. I noticed when making maps using the latest version the smallest brush effects now 4 tiles when previously it was just 1 tile like it should. This way it takes me much more time to create mountains.
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 12 Sep 2012, 04:08

Truely amazing, I had sort of the same when cutting a rock in 2, they both hold 750 stone now. But I also have a question I don't know where to put. I noticed when making maps using the latest version the smallest brush effects now 4 tiles when previously it was just 1 tile like it should. This way it takes me much more time to create mountains.
It's a bit different in the Remake than Krom's editor because Krom's editor "snapped to grid", so if you tried to elevate half way between two tiles it would just elevate one of the corners. The Remake interpolates it so if you click on a corner it will only elevate that, but if you click in between tiles it will elevate all of them to a lesser extent (elevation is split between all of them). This can be more useful than just elevating corners, but I agree that it makes it hard sometimes.
Maybe we can have an option to turn snap to grid on/off?

Return to “Map Design”