Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Town Builder

<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 21 Feb 2008, 23:35

Town Builder

Hey guys,

Originally I was using Excel to plan my towns, writing the co-ordinates across the top and then typing up the code based on a graphical representation. It made life easier, but was a very long-winded process.

So I thought I'd make a BASIC program, to assist in building towns. Now I'm talking very basic here. So basic that many of you may not like it :P

Basically you type in your starting X and Y co-ordinates and it fills in the axes based on what you type. You then select a building or road from a dropdown menu and drag them onto the grid, and not only will it give you a lame graphical representation of what you placed but it will write up all the code for you.

Trouble is, the grid will only be about 10 by 10 squares, so if you're planning a large town you may have to do it section at a time :wink:

EDIT: I may make arrow buttons so you can "scroll" through these sections... but a major flaw is that it won't have saving capabilities, so if you scroll in any directions or close the program, you won't be able to see the rest of your town anymore. There is a chance I could fix this, but it's not likely...

Now my programming skills are extremely limited, and I may not be able to get it all working universally on everyone's computer because of directories, etc., but if there is enough interest I may be able to include a feature that lets the user tell the program where to look for the files.

So yeah... Just thought I'd let you guys know. I'll post screenshots when I get a bit further into the project.

- Danjb

P.S. Course I'll have to release this before Lewin's mission editor for it ever to see the light of day!
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Feb 2008, 18:59

The project is now in its usable stages and so, I declare it, for now, finished.
Let's call it version 1.0

Screenshot:

If anyone's interested, I'll set up a link for a download.
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Feb 2008, 19:33

Hm, there are already 3 mission-editor projects running, yours not included.
You have ever seen Thunderwolfs's Town Builder? Its a little bit complicate, but it has a nice GUI.

I somehow miss the GUI at your editor. Or something like "load mission".
Keep up work, ill wait for more releases.
And 12x9 squares is a little bit small, isn't it? :wink:
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 22 Feb 2008, 20:02

Yeah, there are many projects running, but I haven't really seen many results, so I thought I'd make one myself. It was originally going to be for personal convenience, but it anyone else wants it, I figure I may as well supply it :)

I haven't seen Thunderwolf's, no... I can't seem to find it, either...

Oh, and I fixed the space problem with the addition of a view menu, allowing you to hide some of the controls:

I call it... version 1.1! :D

- Danjb
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 23 Feb 2008, 01:06

Re: Town Builder

P.S. Course I'll have to release this before Lewin's mission editor for it ever to see the light of day!
Ha ha! Well you have about 3 month at the most. :wink:
It looks ok but I think that thunderwolf's is currently better. His one will load the background and can handle 176X176 tile maps. It also looks nicer.
Your one looks a bit easier to use, thunderwolf's is not for the 'non-computer savvy' people. :wink: Loading the background is tricky and so is finding where it saves the script. His one also supports units, animals and plough/wine fields.
Good job though, what programming language are you using?
Could you please post the latest version? I wouldn't mind trying it.
Lewin.
P.S. Here is a link to thunderwolfs thread on the english forum:
http://www.atfreeforum.com/knights/viewtopic.php?t=175&mforum=knights
However, the latest download links are not there as he uses the Dutch forum: (he is Dutch)
http://www.kam.vanmeijeren.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=714
You can download the latest version at the moment (0.9d2) from here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0PNKXLJC
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 23 Feb 2008, 15:32

I look forward to it :wink:

Here's the link, I hastily added in a readme:
http://www.2shared.com/file/2887976/5470d766/Town_Builder.html

Wine fields and farm fields are supported in this, but not units or animals. I gotta admit his looks better, but I'm still glad I made this :)

I'm using Visual Basic 6.0 - as I know it, it's pretty limited, and long winded..

Cheers,

- Danjb
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 24 Feb 2008, 17:03

Well this looks interesting. Another Editor. Now surely one of them must succeed.
Can you also upload your older versions? I'm interested in all versions. And how would you call the latest version?
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Feb 2008, 07:38

Hehe... but this one's incredibly simple, not a big project. In theory I could send you an older version, the only other version I made was 1.0, which didn't include the view toolbar so you couldn't hide the interface and fit multiple windows together (this I didn't even release, just mentioned it up there ^ ^ ^)

The latest version is 1.1 (link above).

But yeah if you still want an older one I'll set up a link...?
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 25 Feb 2008, 12:31

Yea, if you can make a link to the older version that would be nice. I try to get as many versions of every program that is made.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Feb 2008, 15:58

Version 1.0
http://www.uploading.com/files/DUNAAABG/Town_Builder_(Old).rar.html

*Notice*
DO NOT DOWNLOAD if you want the newer version.
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 27 Feb 2008, 10:11

Thank you very much.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Feb 2008, 15:56

No worries. Any thoughts?
<<

Merchator

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Feb 2008, 16:20

Well, for me it dosn't run :wink:
I haven't installed my KaM under Program Files...your program looks for the files under "C:/Program Files/Knights and Merchants [...]" !
But it's ok!
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 27 Feb 2008, 17:04

I agree with merchator. It needs an option where you can set your knightsandmerchants directory.

Further I can't say much about it yet, because this is still in an early beta stage.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Feb 2008, 18:25

Yeah... it's all explained in the readme but I said earlier:

"Now my programming skills are extremely limited, and I may not be able to get it all working universally on everyone's computer because of directories, etc."

But I guess I could give it a shot...?

Return to “Map Design”