Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

thunder's map

<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Feb 2015, 09:56

Re: thunder's map

Well I heard something different about the micro size armies :) Anyway it is an interesting question when a militie has chance to beat a knight. But maybe not for this map topic.
Yes these maps don't have 5stars quality, all made under 5-10minutes just because I didn't have much more time for them:S
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 02 Jun 2015, 13:02

Heyho!
Nowadays I had less time to create map(-s). But I would like to present a map which breaks the tradition of Thunder-style maps. It doesnt have script, and there is fast start.
Some months ago we talked about low starting resources and about the market usage. Usually average maps has enough starting resources to play 2-3 hours withouth market. (okay there are some script-bonus-which has some market abuse variant) I have some maps which has less space and low resources(Desert Line), or low food(DeadRivers), but all these options together arrived just now. Maybe the less space at this new map isnt true, but the resources and food absolutly.
I got this idea after when i saw how Rebound is working with lower strating food and with the fast buildorder. So Thanks for Ben;)
At first i would make a map here the players have to build together in pairs as like on many maps(BR8p,Tale of two land etc...). But after the sketch i changed my mind.
Shortly:
-low goldore->150 in the hill->300chests (+60in the store)
-low iron ore->200in the hills
-65bread in the store-> i tested more times every loc, and i usually had problems with foog, but just because i havent use bakeries
-added some fish and vineyards->easier food supplying
-opened center
-l vs r, t vs b, diagonal v diagonal, 2v2v2v2 etc...
-I dont think to this map is in the easy category.

Ready up for Market strats!
Have fun guys!
Cheers
Thunder

hand in hand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LadyPauline

Queen of the Iron Age

Post 02 Jun 2015, 18:37

I WANT it!! Ill try it soon enough for sure. Im really curious about how it work. And yees, Ben's Rebound is my Favourite map exacly becouse it test our skills in WISE build. Thanks for new map, we appreciate Your work! I do for sure! CHEERS Chum!!
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 02 Jun 2015, 21:08

I WANT it!! Ill try it soon enough for sure. Im really curious about how it work. And yees, Ben's Rebound is my Favourite map exacly becouse it test our skills in WISE build. Thanks for new map, we appreciate Your work! I do for sure! CHEERS Chum!!
Thank you Lady!
I think to the building part just will be similar as on Rebound. The fighting zone is a bit different question:S Maybe everybody will abuse the centrezone because the sides are a bit closer then that. Campings? Hm maybe. Im also courious how the fight parts will work and really interested about the building strats also.
bests!
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 04 Jun 2015, 12:03

Thanks for the new map there wasn't any in long time!
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 05 Jun 2015, 05:50

I played on this map yesterday. I like the map, but the food wasn't even a bit hard. The hardness for me was the strange space on location 2, but i managed to solve it.
<<

Trip

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 05 Jun 2015, 11:28

played on this map yesterday. I like the map, but the food wasn't even a bit hard. The hardness for me was the strange space on location 2, but i managed to solve it.
I played hand in hand twice and didnt have any food trouble aswell 1 time I accidentaly closed my mill and there were a few guys hungry. With fish its pretty easy to solve the food issue. Wood was more of a problem after a while there is a moment where I didnt have enough wood. I found rebound way harder with food since you don't have any fish at all and you will have starvation if you dont build a mill or even two mills early. Its pretty campy though atleast up vs down mostly because of the nice choke points at the bases and attacking from the middle isnt really a good idea since you can get flanked easily. And really I would remove those vinyards they look weird and arent all that practical imo.
<<

koczis12

Militia

Post 05 Jun 2015, 20:13

AVE thunder!
Forgive me, I agree that this map really breaks the tradition of Thunder-style but in very bad way. First of all the looks, every location is exactly the same, storehouse is surrounded by three the same looking mountains. Was it your intention to make it that way? If yes, it didn’t work out at all. It looks very bad. The map itself isn’t exciting, nothing new. Most of the terrain I’ve seen already in your previous maps, many look exactly the same. Funny how the river on top suddenly disappears in that iron mountain and that bridge is completely useless there. You need to be consistent in what you are doing. Elevations also look the same, typical “Thunder style”, for me it looks strange.
The map does everything to encourage player to camp. There are no strategic positions to take over. All you have to do is camp “Hand in Hand” with your teammates (maybe that’s why this map is named like that :wink: ). I don’t think this map will have interesting gameplay.
I dont think to this map is in the easy category.
I totally agree on that, this map is in the DAMN EASY CATEGORY. Seven serfs and 5 builders plus fast start? How could map with such settings be hard? You can build everything at once from the very beginning. Extremely fast sawmill what comes after, extremely fast farms, gold and iron, come on Thunder you can do better than that. What is going on with bread only? With that very fast opening you will have sausages right away so food won’t be a problem.
Sorry Thunder, I just saw you improving. Like for example “Iron and Gold”, there is some idea in this map (divided battlefield). “Hand in Hand” does nothing to convince me to play it, I’m not excited enough. Hope you won’t get me wrong, I’m trying to help. :wink:

Take care!
<<

Romek

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 05 Jun 2015, 20:57

I completly agree with koczis in that matter. Actually, according to my experience I need to say that your new map is horrible.
Locations are boring and looks almost the same - it reminds me of some PAKER style mapmaking which are pretty bad and ugly as hell.
One location because of coal position is freaking imbalanced (LOC4). I dont even want to think what kind of stuff you can get on that location.
Anyway every single loc is easy as I’ve never seen before on any of your map. That 5/7 + fast start makes opening of the game easy like no other.
Food on this map is totaly not a problem since you can have first farm in 10 min or mby even faster.... 75/65 loaves? (not sure, I have version with 75 loaves)
For this map is freaking too much and makes it even easier. Most of the time, when you place your inn you need to be prepared that this will slow down ur production,
because the serfs will only concentrate on it. In this map it won’t happen, because all you need to do is load 5 loaves....
The amount of iron ore surely isn’t low. 200 ore for 2 iron mines is actually pretty high number and again it makes game even easier - less buildings that requires iron means more farms or other buildings.
Also you can start making iron weapons in 20 min on every loc because of that horrible/easy as hell settings and resource placement.
I believe that with such settings you can finish ur base in 40-50 min and focus on trades that will be : wooden weapons ------> everything what you need and wooden shield -----> coal/gold/iron.
Map is freaking easy so spamming wooden weapons/shields will be even easier then on classic To map.

If i were MEX T I would say to you : "Pack your map, get into the bus and get the **** out of here cuz you are disgrace to this game" ;)
<<

LadyPauline

Queen of the Iron Age

Post 05 Jun 2015, 23:11

Yes, I must admit that it's not hard that way You maybe thought Thunder. Normal 4 serfs,3 builders is okay, can be even 5 serfs 4 builders, just like on the other maps sometimes. This food isn't really a problem when we can build 4x swine with no problem in 40 minutes, we can do that because with 2 iron mines we r not focused that much on Iron weapon production, so...leather rule on this map i m o. Spam possible,but where to use it... I think maybe you focused mostly on balanced locations, well... the battlefield itself is poor,no hills, strategic places as they said before me.
But I still like the idea and this map can be good. For me locations are just fine, this wine fields could be useful if the food in storehouse will be different some way. For example...80 wine 10 bread...Well,that's better i think... You know, just upgrade this map, it's playable but in long way will be boring.
It's not bad, just work on it bit harder ;)
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 06 Jun 2015, 00:11

Hi!
Always nice to read long posts. Thanks for the feedback Goldenguy!;P
I always use the same elevationtechnique on my maps. The locs edited directly similar. And yes i used the new editor functions. (I learnt from CR editing techniques;p)
I dont like when players start very different locs. One of my favourite start position is tvod.;)

ive got lots of feedbacks about that the map is easy.yes easy.i tested with slow build order and im pretty out from the games nowadays...:( maybe im nub this is why felt harder...:S
65added bread is the original starting food.

About the fightingspace, Nh has one bridge,I&G has two bridge,H&H has almost nothing.
and as i usualy say,i dont care about campers an a map where you have to use markets earlier as normaly...

200iron is not too much,but maybe its my opinion only.
:S

Have fun!
<<

Romek

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 06 Jun 2015, 09:05

But it is 100 per mine with is quite a lot.
All iron will be spended propably only for horses....
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 06 Jun 2015, 17:06

What about making a different distribution with usual mountains, coal, stone?
I'm thinking of small deposits of 200 stone, 50 gold, 50 iron, and 50-60 coal around Storehouse.
This way you have to concentrate in building base in a "hard to place environment" + being attentive to depletion messages.

You can even give players 300 gold + 300 iron in 12 little mountains (6+6), and 1200 stone in 6 portions.
Would be like a "constant reubication map", hard by nature due a new problematic-> Multiple attention points. :)
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 28 Aug 2015, 20:12

Hey,
I've created post long long time ago here.
I hope you will like it!
I hope the map will be CAMPY! :D :wink:
Anyway it s a very easy buildable map. I dont recommend for anybody:D
Downloadlink:
DesertMind.zip
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 29 Aug 2015, 11:53

This map must be really easy. Nowadays I make 20 20 on normal map since it seems that I totally forgot how to play. Here I made 22 50 (note that there's 150 iron and it's far away, with 2 iron mine spots, a bit cursed ravine style) with 12 horses. (I lacked 10 swords and I would have 10-15 more leather if I made second tannery and weapon smithy earlier)

Return to “Map Design”