Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Barbarians in TSK?

<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 11 Jan 2018, 18:43

Barbarians in TSK?

As we are fixing original campaigns, we've come to a dilemma, should it be possible in mission 8 in The Shattered Kingdom for AIs to train barbarians?

Please cast your vote on strawpoll:
http://www.strawpoll.me/14813128

Thanks!

The Poll will be closed 12 January at 15:00 CET

Poll closed with following results:
TLrS.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vatrix on 12 Jan 2018, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Jan 2018, 19:10

Re: Barbarians in TSK?

Hm. It’s not very important to me, but I say “no.” If just because that’s the way the authors of the map wanted it to be, then I’ll say it’s because these are actual barbarian tribes. They wouldn’t be hiring barbarian mercs, they would be training them from the start ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 11 Jan 2018, 19:24

Vatrix, Strangelove and me have been discussing this on Discord. At first I thought we should just leave it as it is; but Strangelove came up with two good points:

1. The people who made TSK might actually have intended to have the AI train barbarians
2. The AI can actually train knights in this mission

Now I do realize that these two points, together, are quite contradictory. If they wanted the AI to train barbarians, why make them able to train knights? Maybe because they are both extremely powerful units, and knights kind of replace barbarians here.
The story indeed mentions barbarian tribes, and as such it is weird for the AI to have knights (which look very sophisticated) in this mission. In that sense, perhaps they shouldn't have any iron units at all. But this would change the mission quite a bit, and personally I would like it to stay as close as the original as possible.
All in all I'm quite unsure about this, and I could live with either option, although removing all iron production buildings seems like a too-large change to me.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Jan 2018, 19:39

I don't care about SP at all, but if I might help you by voicing my opinion... This inconsistency should be treated as a bug. I'd replace knights with barbarians and rebalance the mission, then. If the story says about barbarians that you fight against, and the initial army that attacks you is barbarians, then it seems pretty obvious to me what should be done - make the AI train barbs now that we can do it.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Jan 2018, 20:05

1. The people who made TSK might actually have intended to have the AI train barbarians
I don't know. Is here anybody from that developer team? maybe can answer it.
2. The AI can actually train knights in this mission
It's fine in my opinion. Is that problem?

I think there are enough barbs on TSK8. That map is all about the first wave of barb attack and the two bases if I remember well. One of the funniest missions.
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 11 Jan 2018, 20:13

I think there are enough barbs on TSK8. That map is all about the first wave of barb attack and the two bases if I remember well. One of the funniest missions.
Could be much more fun with enough barbs!
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Jan 2018, 08:14

TSK8 is a mission where the players still in the phase 'learning the KaM'. It should not be harder.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 12 Jan 2018, 09:28

If you replace knights by barbarians, it wouldn't really get harder.

However, this
is a valid point as well.

Besides, it looks kinda ugly to see an axe fighter 'disappear' and 'change' into a barbarian when it comes out of the barracks (since there is no 'barbarian walking out of the barracks' animation). It might also mean that the AI villagers must be altered, since they have iron production.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Jan 2018, 12:50

Besides, it looks kinda ugly to see an axe fighter 'disappear' and 'change' into a barbarian when it comes out of the barracks (since there is no 'barbarian walking out of the barracks' animation).
Some time ago I had asked for a UnitTypeChange function (to use on the Bonus map) that would seamlessly allow this transformation the moment before he walked out of the Barracks, but Lewin and Krom declined the idea... here's a portion of that PM with my suggestion (from 3 years ago), just in case the new team is interested in adding it:

KM_ScriptingESA
  Code:
procedure TKMScriptActions.UnitTypeSet(aUnitID, aNewType: Integer); var U: TKMUnit; G: TKMUnitGroup; begin try if (aUnitID > 0) and (aNewType in [UnitTypeToIndex[WARRIOR_MIN]..UnitTypeToIndex[WARRIOR_MAX]]) then begin U := fIDCache.GetUnit(aUnitID); if U = Nil then Exit; if not (U.UnitType in [WARRIOR_MIN .. WARRIOR_MAX]) then begin LogParamWarning('Actions.UnitTypeSet is not supported for civilians', [aUnitID, aNewType]); Exit; end; if U.SetUnitType(UnitIndexToType[aNewType]) then //Returns True if the group type changed begin //Split the unit if its group type changed G := gHands[U.Owner].UnitGroups.GetGroupByMember(TKMUnitWarrior(U)); if G <> Nil then G.UpdateGroupType(TKMUnitWarrior(U)); end; end else LogParamWarning('Actions.UnitTypeSet', [aUnitID, aNewType]); except gScriptEvents.ExceptionOutsideScript := True; //Don't blame script for this exception raise; end; end;
KM_Units
  Code:
function TKMUnit.SetUnitType(NewType: TUnitType): Boolean; begin Result := False; if fUnitType = NewType then Exit; //Abort the storming if the new type shouldn't be able to if (GetUnitAction is TUnitActionStormAttack) and (NewType in [low(UnitGroups) .. high(UnitGroups)]) and (UnitGroups[NewType] <> gt_Melee) then TUnitActionStormAttack(GetUnitAction).DepleteStamina; //Update player stats gHands[fOwner].Stats.UnitLost(fUnitType); gHands[fOwner].Stats.UnitCreated(NewType, False); //Check if the group type changed if (fUnitType in [low(UnitGroups) .. high(UnitGroups)]) and (NewType in [low(UnitGroups) .. high(UnitGroups)]) and (UnitGroups[fUnitType] <> UnitGroups[NewType]) then Result := True; //Update hit points fHitPoints := Min(fHitPoints, gRes.UnitDat[NewType].HitPoints); //Actually change the unit type fUnitType := NewType; end;
KM_UnitGroups
  Code:
procedure TKMUnitGroup.UpdateGroupType(aUnit: TKMUnitWarrior); var G: TKMUnitGroup; begin if Count > 1 then begin G := OrderSplitUnit(aUnit, True); G.UpdateGroupType(aUnit); Exit; end; if gHands[fOwner].AI.General.DefencePositions.FindPositionOf(Self) = nil then begin fGroupType := UnitGroups[aUnit.UnitType]; gHands[fOwner].AI.General.WarriorEquipped(Self); //Update AI logic end else begin //Workaround to release this group from AI defence positions if Count = 1 aUnit.ReleaseUnitPointer; G := gHands[fOwner].UnitGroups.AddGroup(aUnit); G.OnGroupDied := OnGroupDied; G.fTimeSinceHungryReminder := fTimeSinceHungryReminder; G.fOrderLoc := KMPointDir(aUnit.GetPosition, fOrderLoc.Dir); G.OrderHalt(False); if MySpectator.Selected = Self then begin MySpectator.Selected := G; G.fSelected := fSelected; end; fMembers.Delete(0); end; end;
KM_UnitActionStormAttack
  Code:
procedure TUnitActionStormAttack.DepleteStamina; begin if fTileSteps < (fStamina-1) then fTileSteps := fStamina-1; end;
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 12 Jan 2018, 14:18

Thanks Esthlos, maybe we could put it in good use! Also are you on discord?

Poll closed, see first post.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Jan 2018, 09:01

Thanks Esthlos, maybe we could put it in good use!
:D
Also are you on discord?
No. :(
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Return to “Map Design”