Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Two Sides

<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 27 Jun 2014, 05:53

Re: Two Sides

As such I'll be giving this map a bash as for years I have wanted a map that will really be a continuous challenge. From what Ive heard this might be the one for me! haha.

Just wondering if this map will work ok with r5503 and if not where can I get a newer version of the remake (the KaMremake site seems to only have r5503 as the latest version?) that was mentioned by cmowla (r6157?)
Unfortunately you cannot see replays which were played in one version of the Remake in another version, and therefore you probably can't see my latest "Two Sides" replay, which is in r6367 (if you would like to download r6367, ask Lewin to provide you with a download link), but I did have a r6157 replay a few posts ago (r6157 is not a Nightly, so I believe you install it like you normally install a game) which is pretty good to watch.

However, the latest version is r6378 Nightly. I'm not quite sure what happened...it was not but a day or so before r6367 (which is the version my replay is from) was replaced with r6378, but I doubt there is much of a difference between the two.

If you do want to try playing "Two Sides" in the Nightly version (r6378), which I highly recommend for full satisfaction, note that a KaM remake Nightly isn't a typical executable installation. The download link for r6378 Nightly is the first link in this post.

Assuming you have Windows, you need to:

[1] Make a copy of "KaM Remake" (r5503) in C drive and rename this copy to whatever you want (probably "KaM Remake (r6378)" or something similar). To be clear, you will have two copies of the Remake game in your C drive once you have completed this step. Basically a Nightly is just a small update to the latest official release, r5503. You will have to replace/update a few files from the entire game. Since I doubt you will want to "ruin" r5503, I suggested to make a copy of it, as you will convert this copy to r6378 Nightly in the next step.

[2] Once you have downloaded the file from the link above, extract the folder. Open the folder and drag all content from the downloaded Nightly folder into the copied r5503 folder.

Once that's complete, you're finished the installation...just make a shortcut to the executable file "KaM_Remake.exe" and name the shortcut r6378 or whatever you want. You may run it, and it will say "r6378 Nightly" instead of "r5503".

It probably is a good idea to delete all saved games from r5503 in the Nightly version because you won't be able to view the replays anyway.
Also I know this is a bit off topic but can you guys point me in the direction of other challenging maps that I can have a crack at? :) Or even jsut a thread (tbh I havent had a proper look yet through the forums)
As Skypper said, Invasion (formerly named "Zombie Apocalypse") for a fighting map. However, the older version works in r5503, and I promise you that it's very hard in r5503...if you want a challenge, play this map in r5503.

Basically this is a fighting map with 60 waves (every 90 seconds, a new wave comes to destroy your buildings...if you lose both your barracks and your storehouse, you lose). Each wave is more intense, and thus you will have to find ways to have minimal casualties so that you can build up your army to keep up with the increasing AI army. That is, at the beginning, you're given a small army and you only have to fight small armies, but as the game goes on, you will be given more recruits and weapons (iron weapons are given later) and will be "expected" to fight larger armies (and, as the game goes on, you have a shorter and shorter break between waves because the waves last longer and longer). At the beginning, the difficulty is very easy, and it remains easy just long enough for you to build up an army of 400-500 or so to face thousands and thousands of iron armored units...41% of all of the AI troops you fight attack you in the last 15 minutes of the game (waves 51-60)! (Ponder on that for a second!) Assuming you can eventually beat the game, it lasts at least an hour and a half.

In fact, I calculated the difficulty based on points. (You will be awarded points for each unit you kill, including those you kill with your own with your bowmen and crossbowmen by accident; and the number of points you get for each unit can be seen in this post.)

If you are one of those players who wants to find out how to beat it without help, I don't recommend watching my winning replays of this map in r5503, but if you can't resist, you can watch them, (Original Script without AutoFeed) (Version 1.1 with AutoFeed). You can also watch KaMRemakefan's video of my Version 1.1 with AutoFeed replay.

Originally, Skypper's map didn't have an AutoFeed feature, but Andreus decided that it might be good to have this feature (all troops and serfs are fed by the computer every 10 minutes) because the game is so long, and thus the two replays above are completely different games, so to speak. Obviously the original version is much harder to play.

In addition, I beat v1.1 in r5503 an alternate way (I believe those who want to play this in MP, this approach is probably easiest as it gives players more room, and it evenly distributes the AI). The replay (which you can view in r5503) is in this post.
(It was very hard for me to play in this alternate manner, but, again, I believe utilizing the map like this--or something similar--will be more suitable game play for MP).

Unfortunately the Remake has a "replay bug" for this particular map, and thus if you reload saves, most likely your replay will not work...like "Two Sides", I played and won Invasion without reloading saves to ensure that I could show everyone how I beat it. I'm only mentioning this to warn you to make sure that you remember what strategies you used which were successful, because if you reload saves, you will most likely not be able to see what you did!

If you later want to discuss this map with me, you can private message me, or if you believe your question(s) might benefit others, we can talk about it in Skypper's Mini Games thread.
Best version for playing this map is r6367
That is an understatement!
I have not been around this community for long but when I hear comments like this from a player/user who's name I hear being suggested in a "best player" list it makes me look twice. In my mind anyone who is one of the top players in this game and makes these comments I'm going to heed well.
Thanks for valuing my opinion, and I hope that you do get a chance to play "Two Sides" in the Nightly. It will be a treat, I promise!
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Drummerdude48

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 27 Jun 2014, 20:56

Unfortunately you cannot see replays which were played in one version of the Remake in another version
Found this out the hard way :p
and therefore you probably can't see my latest "Two Sides" replay, which is in r6367 (if you would like to download r6367, ask Lewin to provide you with a download link), but I did have a r6157 replay a few posts ago (r6157 is not a Nightly, so I believe you install it like you normally install a game) which is pretty good to watch.
I have however seen your replay (watched it last night). All i did was download the Nightly file from post #1, last night, in the Nightly update thread and it turned out to be r6367. Sorted!
If you do want to try playing "Two Sides" in the Nightly version (r6378), which I highly recommend for full satisfaction, note that a KaM remake Nightly isn't a typical executable installation. The download link for r6378 Nightly is the first link in this post.

Assuming you have Windows, you need to:

[1] Make a copy of "KaM Remake" (r5503) in C drive and rename this copy to whatever you want (probably "KaM Remake (r6378)" or something similar). To be clear, you will have two copies of the Remake game in your C drive once you have completed this step. Basically a Nightly is just a small update to the latest official release, r5503. You will have to replace/update a few files from the entire game. Since I doubt you will want to "ruin" r5503, I suggested to make a copy of it, as you will convert this copy to r6378 Nightly in the next step.

[2] Once you have downloaded the file from the link above, extract the folder. Open the folder and drag all content from the downloaded Nightly folder into the copied r5503 folder.

Once that's complete, you're finished the installation...just make a shortcut to the executable file "KaM_Remake.exe" and name the shortcut r6378 or whatever you want. You may run it, and it will say "r6378 Nightly" instead of "r5503".

It probably is a good idea to delete all saved games from r5503 in the Nightly version because you won't be able to view the replays anyway.
I did all this last night myself already xD Very good explanation for anyone who is stuck though :)
As Skypper said, Invasion (formerly named "Zombie Apocalypse") for a fighting map. However, the older version works in r5503, and I promise you that it's very hard in r5503...if you want a challenge, play this map in r5503.

Basically this is a fighting map with 60 waves (every 90 seconds, a new wave comes to destroy your buildings...if you lose both your barracks and your storehouse, you lose). Each wave is more intense, and thus you will have to find ways to have minimal casualties so that you can build up your army to keep up with the increasing AI army. That is, at the beginning, you're given a small army and you only have to fight small armies, but as the game goes on, you will be given more recruits and weapons (iron weapons are given later) and will be "expected" to fight larger armies (and, as the game goes on, you have a shorter and shorter break between waves because the waves last longer and longer). At the beginning, the difficulty is very easy, and it remains easy just long enough for you to build up an army of 400-500 or so to face thousands and thousands of iron armored units...41% of all of the AI troops you fight attack you in the last 15 minutes of the game (waves 51-60)! (Ponder on that for a second!) Assuming you can eventually beat the game, it lasts at least an hour and a half.

In fact, I calculated the difficulty based on points. (You will be awarded points for each unit you kill, including those you kill with your own with your bowmen and crossbowmen by accident; and the number of points you get for each unit can be seen in this post.)

If you are one of those players who wants to find out how to beat it without help, I don't recommend watching my winning replays of this map in r5503, but if you can't resist, you can watch them, (Original Script without AutoFeed) (Version 1.1 with AutoFeed). You can also watch KaMRemakefan's video of my Version 1.1 with AutoFeed replay.

Originally, Skypper's map didn't have an AutoFeed feature, but Andreus decided that it might be good to have this feature (all troops and serfs are fed by the computer every 10 minutes) because the game is so long, and thus the two replays above are completely different games, so to speak. Obviously the original version is much harder to play.

In addition, I beat v1.1 in r5503 an alternate way (I believe those who want to play this in MP, this approach is probably easiest as it gives players more room, and it evenly distributes the AI). The replay (which you can view in r5503) is in this post.
(It was very hard for me to play in this alternate manner, but, again, I believe utilizing the map like this--or something similar--will be more suitable game play for MP).

Unfortunately the Remake has a "replay bug" for this particular map, and thus if you reload saves, most likely your replay will not work...like "Two Sides", I played and won Invasion without reloading saves to ensure that I could show everyone how I beat it. I'm only mentioning this to warn you to make sure that you remember what strategies you used which were successful, because if you reload saves, you will most likely not be able to see what you did!

If you later want to discuss this map with me, you can private message me, or if you believe your question(s) might benefit others, we can talk about it in Skypper's Mini Games thread.
Sounds incredible, thanks! :)
Thanks for valuing my opinion.
Credit where credit is due :)
<<

cmowla

Knight

Post 30 Nov 2018, 16:09

I just played KaM for the first time in a while.

I modified my build for this map to instead trade bows for gold instead of wine barrels. This allowed me to build more farms earlier on and still have the same amount of gold at the end of PT.

Like usual, my aim is to trade skins and pigs for iron armor and weapons, but this type of build can easily be modified to go all leather as well.

The replay broke about 5 minutes before I saved it for the first time, but I finished the mission in 3 hours and 25 minutes losing only 50 units. (My previous time record was 5 hours and 15 minutes with several hundred losses.)

I played this in r6720 because I couldn't figure out how to get the latest version of the Remake to work.
cmowla 2 Sides (r6720).zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
<<

cmowla

Knight

Post 02 Jan 2020, 05:01

I just uploaded a video about my experiences with this map. (I include high definition pre-build plans in the video description.)I can't believe that no one else has ever uploaded a video about it.

(My video is longer than my typical KaM Remake videos, but I had a lot to say/show. Don't believe me, see the video description!)

Again, thanks for this map, Vatrix!

Return to “Map Design”