Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Vortamic is "hard"?

<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 22 Jun 2013, 19:54

Re: Vortamic is "hard"?

Luki, I also had troubles with getting past the initial attack when my archers were right behind my melee. Seems like the way Lewin placed them was the better :p
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Jun 2013, 00:04

Whew, does this mean that I now I don't need to finish my update to this map? Yay! More time for making candy, reading books, and other things that I enjoy :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 23 Jun 2013, 17:04

Ben, adding AI attacks, making the AI's train troops faster and giving them more armor smithies (now they have 2 weapon smithies and 1 armor smithy o.O) to keep up with weapons would be nice for some tweak :p Anyway reworking the initial attack isn't needed.
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 14 Aug 2021, 18:36

Who has tried this in r13651?
Archers and crossbows don't seem to do as much as they used to.
I watched some videos from 2013 and there I see the enemies drop like flies.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 17 Aug 2021, 08:27

Who has tried this in r13651?
Archers and crossbows don't seem to do as much as they used to.
I watched some videos from 2013 and there I see the enemies drop like flies.
If you're referring to AxronLetsPlays's video from YouTube, yeah, the version he was playing it in (r4179), the arrows were potent. Then r5503 came around, where arrows almost useless against knights. Then r6720 onward, arrows became more potent again.

I haven't tried it in r13651, but the way I beat it in r5503 didn't involve/depend on arrows from my archers that much. (In fact, I added an additional 100 knights and still beat it in r5503, where arrows were pretty much useless.) I doubt you would be satisfied with the way I play, but if you are thinking that it's impossible, it's not. It's just hard, that's all. Keep trying different things. Keep an opened mind. Don't limit yourself to doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 19 Aug 2021, 08:40

Did it.
Waaaaay too cheezy strat where you only allow 1 unit to pass between a school building frame and the stone and catch that unit with 3 of your own. Warriors were best, I guess cause they have such high attack that you can kill any unit that comes through in 2 hits per warrior.
Couple of restarts cause crossbows kept destroying the build plan.
Also had to block the gap between the ledge and the iron deposit. Otherwise the influx of troops to the other side was too high to handle.
Used knights to clean up the ranged units.
Could have gotten away with more knights but when the warriors came I got unlucky and one warrior wandered so far out of his path that he hit the knights that were waiting in the back.

I noticed that archers are way less accurate than crossbows. I ended up not using them in the choke but to cover the left side along with the pikemen.
Swords were used to buy the builders some time. Otherwise they get killed before the building plan is finished.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 19 Aug 2021, 23:15

Nice to hear that you did it.

And your analysis of the game may be true (I haven't played this version that much). Unfortunately, the game is going to continue to change, so you will have to eventually relearn these subtle details again when playing SP maps in future versions. But it is what it is.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.

Return to “Map Design”