Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Trade caravans

<<

`Maurice

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 10 Sep 2012, 13:15

Re: Trade caravans

I might start a petition, I see I would have 3 signs already! ;)
Four ;)
Make that 5.

This new marketplace should work as well as the current one.

In my opinion it shouldn't take too long to trade wares between players because it wouldn't be interesting to trade if it would take a lot of time.

But with that in mind it should be implemented in such a way that the items being traded don't appear magically in a players market like it does now.

So once again in my opinion some sort of unit (trade caravan maybe?) should travel from town to town in order to trade wares.

If it would work like that there remain 2 questions for me:

1: Should the 2 players who want to trade wares have their towns connected by roads?
I know on some maps this will be easily done, but keep in mind that on a lot of maps it would take quite some time to achieve that.

2: Since this "unit" used for trading needs to travel from town to town it will obviously take some time for him to make 1 trip. Maybe we can allow him to carry more than 1 item per trip to speed the process up a bit?

That's a lot of speculation right there, but nonetheless its what i think about the matter ;)
Last edited by `Maurice on 10 Sep 2012, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 10 Sep 2012, 13:39

1: Should the 2 players who want to trade wheres have their towns connected by roads?
I know on some maps this will be easily done, but keep in mind that on a lot of maps it would take quite some time to achieve that.
Yes, this markt should be connected with roads. However this is the negative thing on it. If there is a to long road needed, you must think over an other strategy and not with the market.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 10 Sep 2012, 14:36

: Should the 2 players who want to trade wheres have their towns connected by roads?
Well making trading not alway easy makes it more interesting for the map builder how he builds his map. He decides how important trading will be on his map.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

Post 10 Sep 2012, 18:43

Make your count six TDL.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 10 Sep 2012, 19:13

Well making trading not alway easy makes it more interesting for the map builder how he builds his map. He decides how important trading will be on his map.
Right, but there are many existing maps where no one thought about that - I think that if the combined roads are needed, then maps would influence the gameplay too much. I can't put it into words I just feel it would be a bad decision. I'd rather leave the "teleport approach", so if one guy sends resources to his ally, they magically teleport to the teammate's marketplace. It's just more fair, and lets you to use the tactic regardless of the map.

Also, why 6 people would want to scrap current Marketplace? I'm not using Market, because on most maps there's too few essential marketable resources (gold, coal etc.) and I rather keep them (although I assume the game may be long, which is never the case :P maybe I should optimise my tactics). Also, using Market is a bad practice in my opinion, because making a town without Market learns you how to build the city properly, without wood and food shortages. But I like that it's in this game, it opens up new tactical possibilities. Nowadays (in RC) you either make lots of swines to have a big leather army, or make bread and try to have more iron than the opponents (or something in between). Also, I don't really want my market to be dependent on my teammates (what if they don't build market at all, like me or TDL? :P or what if they just suck and can't produce enough stuff to send me?).

So, I vote for bringing the "trade with allies" option to Market only if the current Marketplace still works as currently. Who is with me?
<<

tover

Farmer

Post 21 Oct 2012, 12:12

when i first saw the marketplace i thought this was exactly what it would do(trade between players)when i then found out u trade with urself(or invisible/of map faction)i was a little dissapointed.after trying it a few times i do see that the current marketplace is a pretty weldesigned system that is very usefull without being gamebreakingly overpowered.

i would love the idea of trading between allies as this could give an extra depth to teamplay,ofcourse if this would throw of the balance it is better to leave it out.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 21 Oct 2012, 19:41

Hello tovertrut :)
Nice to see you in this forum giving feedback!
We will meet very, very soon...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 01 Nov 2012, 05:22

I love the idea of trading between players, but I believe that it must be done with your serfs carrying each individual good via a road. Personally, I like the idea of there being a special building for trade, but is it really, totally necessary? Couldn't your serfs just as well take the resources directly out of your storehouse, and into your ally's?

Which reminds me: where did the marketplace come from? Was it another building-in-development that Joymania dumped?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 01 Nov 2012, 05:39

Slightly off-topic: Market was made for us by Stargazer from TheKnight's site. He took some rejected houses and mixed them together, adding a cart. Malin then drew all the wares in counts.

Building a road to connect allies sounds much of a work. I suspect we could make a trade "miraculous", just add a delay to it. E.g. you could trade as much as 50 res per minute and each sent resource takes 15sec to deliver.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 01 Nov 2012, 05:43

Slightly off-topic: Market was made for us by Stargazer from TheKnight's site. He took some rejected houses and mixed them together, adding a cart. Malin then drew all the wares in counts.
Off topic, yes. Still, there was reasoning behind it: I was wondering if one buildings could be created, could we, by chance, make another?
Heck! Let's just implement the town hall to function for this feature! Knowing that the original use of the town hall won't ever be used would make me sleep better at night :)
Building a road to connect allies sounds much of a work. I suspect we could make a trade "miraculous", just add a delay to it. E.g. you could trade as much as 50 res per minute and each sent resource takes 15sec to deliver.
It would be very difficult in some maps. Not all; though. Perhaps that would suit well; though, for maps where you are closer to your ally would be more focused on teamwork anyway.
If we do end up using "magic" to transport the goods, I like the idea of a delay, but I think that there should also be a "penalty" too; such as a maybe a 25% loss? For example, if you sent fifty loaves to your ally, then only 38(37 if rounded down) would make it to the destination.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2012, 08:30

Why can't we just keep the current marketplace and use the Town Hall sprites for the "new" one. We could have the marketplace, which just functions as a marketplace, and we could have the Town Hall. If both players have a Town Hall (a proper name should be thought off), they can trade. I wouldn't say you'd need a road, but there would be a caravan riding between the towns, carrying, say, 10/20 resources per time. He'd sit on a horse, too. The enemy could plunder the caravan and get (some of) the resources. I think being able to plunder caravans would also make the game more aggressive, and it would add an element to the game, where players would have to protect the caravan with troops. You could have a "guard" option on your troops, with which you could assign them the task of guarding buildings, other troops, or now: caravans.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2012, 14:46

Perhaps if we add the ability to send goods to your allies we could just add your allies' player numbers (with the number being colored respectively) to the list of resources in the marketplace. Then, instead of selecting what you want in exchange for your goods, you select your ally's number and your goods will "appear" in your ally's marketplace.

Just another theory.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 11 Nov 2012, 15:14

Perhaps if we add the ability to send goods to your allies we could just add your allies' player numbers (with the number being colored respectively) to the list of resources in the marketplace. Then, instead of selecting what you want in exchange for your goods, you select your ally's number and your goods will "appear" in your ally's marketplace.

Just another theory.
Lol, why didn't we already think about that... sounds like a perfect and simple idea.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2012, 23:15

I still believe that "own trading" is enough good mechanics to be out of a crisis.

Buildings for "only multiplayer" is a bad idea.
Everything should be useful in both single/multiplayer.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 12 Nov 2012, 06:53

Just another theory.
Yeah, that sounds infinitely better, hehe.
I still believe that "own trading" is enough good mechanics to be out of a crisis.

Buildings for "only multiplayer" is a bad idea.
Everything should be useful in both single/multiplayer.
Hmm... I disagree. I think own trading is a bit too unrealistic. Of course, so are stone roads, but with this plan we can avoid the unrealistic aspect of trading. And you could still trade with the marketplace, but you could also send goods to your ally. You could still have the marketplace in single player, really. Maybe you could even use this function to get goods from your allies, in an event.
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”