<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Aug 2012, 15:24

Dead of Winter 8p

Hello guys, I've finally finished the new 8p map I promised to make:

Downloadink: http://www.mediafire.com/?9w4elz2hvuf6s36

I hope you like it, suggestions are always welcome of course.

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Aug 2012, 21:55

Re: Dead of Winter 8p

We've playtested it in the upcoming release and we have an update already:
Many tiles were too steep, this is now fixed.
Fixed the prebuild for player 3.
Added almost a double amount of food in the storehouse, it is now 20 sausages, 40 loaves, 50 fish and 60 wine.

New link: http://www.mediafire.com/?xdt41n2f5bxyndh
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2012, 07:57

After playing the map once I can tell you this map is even better than Back in The Desert.
Every loc is different, with a lot of space, and still enough space for open battle.
There are some little bugs that you should fix, especialy with the stone, but again great work. :)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 20 Aug 2012, 08:20

Yeah, the stone needs to be fixed (what about dividing the stone in half on these problematic locations in north? I like how it looks at loc 1), and I think the balance of the map isn't perfect - in 3 games I played there, south team always won. And twice it happened that winning south team had one really shitty player (me), so I'd say something might be wrong there :)

I totally love the map though, map especially fits to the new gameplay style, with nice amount of building space, and the layout is cool.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Aug 2012, 10:43

Hi To!

It's a really good map! Good work.
I played on it in the 2nd loc from left on the top, and i surprised:)
I couldn't decided where do i build (up to with 2 iron mines and huge opened south doors or shout with one iron mine and closer loc.). You give to the players huge choise possibilite. It's greatful!
And yes the north stones has problem (i dont know what, but many annoying messages arrived, but they worked well (?) ), if you need i can send replay from the game. ;) (it was really short)

Thank you!

t
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 23 Aug 2012, 17:20

Ok, I've just finished polishing this map.

Link to the update: http://www.mediafire.com/?04wxq001kd9xeq8

+ stone for northern players is restored, it holds more stone now and is now a bit easier to reach.
+ added 10 extra sausages
+ worked on the terrain, added small strips of marshland to connect the lakes, so it looks more like a river now. You can't build on/over it but your troops can stand on it.
+ changed terrain on/near the western bridge so players can't build towers on the bridge or right next to the bridge.
+ added a discription

Btw, thanks to all the people who tested this map with me so far. I don't know if it's better then Back in the Desert but I already spend more time on this one.

To
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 24 Aug 2012, 02:47

Thanks for the update to Dead of Winter, it will be in the 2nd RC :)
It's been played most in the release candidate, 13 times with an average of 4.08 players (although it's not a big enough sample to really draw any conclusions from this)
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 24 Aug 2012, 11:07

That's probably my fault, I'm often host and then I almost take this map, just because I think it's great.
And I don't think you can say it's better than back in the dessert, but it's more complete.
Back in the desert just needs some more fixes, for balanced teams cause I realy liked the variation in the battle.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 12 Sep 2012, 02:33

I've added some minor changes to this map so here is a new downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/?d2s43yeshzcl8i9
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 12 Sep 2012, 03:50

I've added some minor changes to this map so here is a new downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/?d2s43yeshzcl8i9
Thanks, I've updated the version in the Remake :)
<<

Mulberry

Pikeman

Post 12 Sep 2012, 07:55

Changes looks nice, thanks for your work.

But also i want to say about few things i mentioned. Location 2 is still the most problematic... A little bit too narrow, stonerock is hard to reach becaue of new stonemassons machanichs i guese and also you need quite a lot of road to connect important object buildings and resources. And i am glad about changes to the north from location 5, but you know that bottom side of a map is not that good for defending as top. I suggest to ask someone who defended loc 5 and 6 (left flank) about this and make some extra tests in near future.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Sep 2012, 08:18

Yes, I would also bring attention to locations 2 and 4, Stone mountains are quite far away (especially compared to location 8).
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 12 Sep 2012, 08:25

Loc 2 has never been problematic for me (different playstyle though).

I dislike the changes at loc 5. That river makes it harder to defend I think and also much harder to expand.

Loc 6 isn't that hard to defend when you build your towers between the rivers.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 12 Sep 2012, 13:35

I heard several players all suggest different changes, which to me is an indicator that the map is fairly balanced. Since there is no solution yet to prevent towerspam, after testing it the first time I saw Mully (loc 1) building all the way down to place towers on the western bridge and even further to the south. So I decided to make a ditch below loc 1 to prevent it from happening again. I usually don't create bridges on my maps because of scenarios like this. Later I saw Matt do the same trick on loc 4 (screenshot posted in the tower topic) and Bo on loc 8. I guess one of the main reasons they spam towers is that there is too much space available. I think they could still spam towers now but I've made it a bit harder for them. Talking in skype to Mathew yesterday when showing him the update the first thing he said was '' you, tiny, little, annoying #@!$%^$@%$^%$##!!##'' which is a good sign for me hehe. So after creating a ditch for loc 4 and 8 I also decided it would be fair if loc 5 had the same change too. I'm not sure that with the ditch created for loc 5 it's too hard for loc 5 to defend now. So after testing it I might relocate it again. The only other thing I changed is make it a little easier to place a 2nd goldmine for loc 4. I'm not completely convinced that it's a good choice since loc 2 also has to build further to build his 2nd goldmine. I personally think loc 2 is the hardest to play since iron is most far away. On the other hand loc 2 has gold + coal fairly close so it think it's balanced enough. If you ask me what my favorite locs are I would say 3 and 8 first and then 1 and 5. About map making in general, I think it's a real challenge to balance things out while prevent it from being a mirror. So yes stone is further away for loc 4 but it isn't the only loc where stone isn't just around the corner. I had no difficulties when playing on loc 4 yet. What I like about 4 is that it's very easy to place some fishers pretty early in the game and it has probably the most building space. However, the main reason I updated it had nothing to do with balance since there were still some annoying steep tiles left (especially underneath some trees). Mostly for loc 2, 3 and 7.

Thanks for your suggestions, it really helps me balancing things out.

To
<<

Kruciprdel

Farmer

Post 11 Nov 2012, 20:03

after yesterday's game, we noticed that they are on the map unbalanced sources, mainly gold.
loc 1 has 450 gold
loc 2.3 have 1320 gold (loc 2 has 700 gold and loc 3 has 515 gold)
loc 4 has 470 gold
loc 5 has 310 gold
loc 6,7 have 882 gold (loc 6 has 395 gold and loc 7 has 480 gold)
loc 8 has 310 gold

difference loc 5,8 against loc 2 is 390 gold (it is 780 recruits)

Coal isnt so big difference, but loc 4 has 950 coal and loc 5 has 1300 coal (it is 100 xbow, though loc 5 has less space for building)

iron isnt so important, but north has more than south :)

Return to “Map Design”