Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

User made content is hard to find

<<

krs

Recruit

Post 07 Oct 2012, 08:56

User made content is hard to find

Maybe there is a centralized place for it but I still have to discover it.

I am talking about music, maps, missions, art, artwork, wallpapers stuff like that.

Is there a central spot for such a thing? Searching through the whole forum is tedious :(.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 09:11

Re: User made content is hard to find

Look on the main site:
http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/

Under Fan Made Creations there is some stuff, and there's wallpapers in other places I think. All of that is pretty old (from before the Remake existed).
Also I have some sheet music on my site:
http://lewin.hodgman.id.au/kam/index.ph ... itor_music

And fan-made missions: (note: the instructions were written for KaM not the Remake)
http://lewin.hodgman.id.au/kam/index.ph ... r_missions
<<

krs

Recruit

Post 11 Oct 2012, 07:34

I've recently found some nice music in another thread. I still think that someone who follows this game for a longer time should make at the very least a centralized thread with all the user created content.

Some of them will be liked, some of them not so much. But at least we can find out what it is available.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Oct 2012, 08:03

I've recently found some nice music in another thread. I still think that someone who follows this game for a longer time should make at the very least a centralized thread with all the user created content.

Some of them will be liked, some of them not so much. But at least we can find out what it is available.
Go ahead :)
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Nov 2012, 08:26

Wouldn't it be nice if we'd get a spot on this site, where we could add stuff ourselves, maybe with approval of a moderator? I know forums mostly have different software from sites they're on, but I'd quite like this, still.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Nov 2012, 08:59

Wouldn't it be nice if we'd get a spot on this site, where we could add stuff ourselves, maybe with approval of a moderator? I know forums mostly have different software from sites they're on, but I'd quite like this, still.
I'm not sure what you're asking for, can you rephrase it/describe it in more detail?
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Nov 2012, 18:28

I think he means we could add our artwork and stuff to the site (kam.net) ourselves, so we upload it. But with your approval.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Nov 2012, 02:46

I think he means we could add our artwork and stuff to the site (kam.net) ourselves, so we upload it. But with your approval.
I'd only want to do that for very much trusted people since I don't think there's a way to only give permissions to edit a certain area, so anybody with access could delete the entire site or deface stuff or whatever. If you have artwork or something feel free to post it here and ask to have it added to the site.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 15 Nov 2012, 18:11

(...)
I'd only want to do that for very much trusted people since I don't think there's a way to only give permissions to edit a certain area, so anybody with access could delete the entire site or deface stuff or whatever. If you have artwork or something feel free to post it here and ask to have it added to the site.
What Kridge said is pretty much what I meant, yeah. But I suppose the owner (Anti?) couldn't give people access to one specific map of files, denying them access to the parent directories? That would fix the problem, as the people couldn't delete the entire site. And you could easily make backups of the files, given there aren't too many.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Nov 2012, 20:20

(...)
What Kridge said is pretty much what I meant, yeah. But I suppose the owner (Anti?) couldn't give people access to one specific map of files, denying them access to the parent directories? That would fix the problem, as the people couldn't delete the entire site. And you could easily make backups of the files, given there aren't too many.
This site uses a content management system so you can't just have access to one directory. And even if you could, you could easily write a PHP script that deleted the entire website (or whatever else you wanted) by running it inside that folder. Why is it important to have direct access anyway? What kind of stuff do you want to add? Is it possible for you to post it here or email it to us and us add it for you? And yes we have backups of the website but that doesn't mean we want to give out access to edit the website to just anyone. I can only really see a system like that working if it's done like Wikipedia (BTW if we wanted to do that we could make a Wikia site for Knights and Merchants).
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 15 Nov 2012, 20:37

(...)
This site uses a content management system so you can't just have access to one directory. And even if you could, you could easily write a PHP script that deleted the entire website (or whatever else you wanted) by running it inside that folder. Why is it important to have direct access anyway? What kind of stuff do you want to add? Is it possible for you to post it here or email it to us and us add it for you? And yes we have backups of the website but that doesn't mean we want to give out access to edit the website to just anyone. I can only really see a system like that working if it's done like Wikipedia (BTW if we wanted to do that we could make a Wikia site for Knights and Merchants).
Nothing major. I was just thinking out loud.

We could make a Wikia, but if we did, we should have some firm, central authority from the start. Otherwise, it will become a mess. And it also costs quite some work. However, I might wanna set something up.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”