Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Across the Desert fix

<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Jan 2013, 21:12

Re: Across the Desert fix

Changes were great for your 0.4 fix, really.
But then...
Ok I can live with 1 extra builder, some trees if needed... (SOME)
But unlocked woodcutter/quarry 'to set up your base a little faster IF YOU WANT' I don't really think that you have a choice if it's there...
Please remove it I really don't think that it fits the map.
Then, 'loc 6 is too vulnerable'.
I think no, closing it will only affect the gameplay when playing top vs bottom,
where I think the fact that it's hard to defend compensates perfectly with the easy way loc 3,4 can be defended.
If we want camping games then I think DOW/TSR/BR already fit this type of game.
Again I'd like to emphasize on the fact that Across is supposed to be a hard map...
Imagine TDL adding 20 stone, 20 timber, 20 gold, 2 serfs, 2 builders, 30 food and preunlocked woodcutter/stonemacon on Warfare...
I've played this map several times and indeed it's hard, but it's perfectly playable, just not with 40 builders, 15 farms like you can do on Wilderness for example.
So no need of extra timber, space, mountains to defend, pre-unlocked woodcutters or trees. (maybe on some locs, but not more than 5)
Just balancing amount of coal/gold, fixing some glitches...
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Jan 2013, 02:32

Hi Bo, don't forget that building the woodcutter or quarry is optional. I'm not into placing a school and inn so this is the perfect compromize. I do like hard maps, but this map isn't only hard it's actually a very slow map. And if you play on a slow map like this it's important that the locations are balanced. And because your teammates usually start on the island 6 is the perfect loc to be attacked first, and it falls pretty easy when attacked from loc 1 and 5. Without thinking I used the .dat file from version 0.3 with the removed pony and 10 extra wine and 10 extra bread so I will change that in the next version. For the players who don't like to feed the horse twice in 60 mins there is always the possibility to let it die ofcourse. Here is a replay of a game we just played on 0.5. Even with the new improvements for loc 6 it's still hard to defend:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qmkoyporsajw8ff
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 18 Jan 2013, 09:36

Hi Bo, don't forget that building the woodcutter or quarry is optional.
Am I the only one not to understand the logic behind this sentence? How something can be optional, if everyone else can build it up to their advantage? I mean, do you actually expect me to build an Inn then stonemason then woodcutter, and be slower than my enemy? That would be quite naive, wouldn't it... I usually love unlocked buildings, because it brings you an opportunity to make a better city layout (usually good place for cutter is very near to the storehouse, and good place for the Inn - not that much). But you're not making your own map, you're editing one of the most popular maps out there... I wasn't convinced by TDL (because "we shouldn't change the map because we shouldn't" sounds quite silly, IMO :) ) but now I agree with majority here, that you should make only as little changes as it's really needed, and not more.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Jan 2013, 14:12

The majority of players are used to set up school, inn, etc. You would be amazed hoe many people do this, even on maps like wilderness. Ofcourse a prebuild is optional, not sure if it's better on any map though. My point is that Across plays too slow (for some locs) without it just because it's also a hard map. On some locations you can set up smithy no earlier then 40 mins for instance (without having foodproblems later on etc.) while on others have their resources close enough to start 10 mins earlier. Like Bo said there is always the possiblity to give prebuild to hardest locations just to give them an equal chance but somehow I don't like it. Any other options?
<<

koczis12

Militia

Post 19 Jan 2013, 10:58

Just like the Bo said. Acceptable changes are trees, gold, coal and some more space for farms on loc 1, no adding or closing entrences, no unlocking woodcutter, one extra buildier, well I can live with that but I don't think its necessary. Really To this map is great just how it is, leave Across the desert in peace.
<<

Mixons

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Jan 2013, 12:05

Koczis is good mapmaker, he knows what he is saying and I agree with him.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 19 Jan 2013, 12:06

If someone doesn't make woodcutters and stonemasons before their inns while they can, then it's a problem of their skills, not of the map. Do you really expect a good player to think like "I'm making inn first, because that's how the map should be played, and it's not important that my enemy will have a faster wood/stone production"?
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 28 Jan 2013, 11:39

The most popular version here on the forum seems to be 0.4. I checked it again to see if that version of the map is improved the way I wanted it to be. Most players on the beta prefer 0.5 like myself but 0.4 has all basic problems fixed like lack of trees and extra gold on the map for instance which is a good thing. Besides that the 0.4 version has least changes to the map itself and still has the same gameplay as on the original Across, slow and pretty hard to play. So I think it's best to use the 0.4 version in the next release.

Return to “Map Design”