Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The 300

<<

FransPhoenix

The Dukes of Burgundy Clan

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Feb 2013, 10:08

The 300

Hi all. First time for me to create a map and I'm aware that it's not a perfect map (yet). Still, I'd like to draw your attention to the specific idea behind this 1 vs 1 mission. Based on the movie '300', I've given one player (top) a total of 300 swords for which he should produce armor and recruits and protect the Spartan village. Limitation to one gold melter, low food and little space will prevent him from spamming many at once. A small town should do the trick. In the bottom, Persian king Xerxes controls the base that was set up after his arrival from sea. He can spam many troops, but they are only as strong as the best militia in the game.

How can Xerxes be victorious at the small passage that separates their bases? First of all, he can shower the air with arrows if he produces enough bows. The Spartans should then fight in the dark. The best option for him, though, is sending his elephants (knights) down the secret passage. Many dangers await him there in the form of a third AI player, which is hostile to both human players. Can he find the exit to this maze and the back entrance to the Spartan village? One of the Spartan scouts found out about Xerxes' plan and the Spartans may be prepared to stop these troops at the cost of losing their position at the passage. With no peace time and no possession over leather in both parties, only battle skills can decide this war.

Can you please comment on my map? I know it's not aesthetically perfect, but balance is more important for now. I intend to publish this map as a 'quicky' against friends when you have less than one hour playing time and still want both building and fighting. As a side note: do not click on random places in the maze, because it will make the game very slow due to the path-finding algorithms. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--- No player should have knights without pigs: "Young knights were trained to fight by mounting on piggybacks." ---
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Feb 2013, 11:04

Re: The 300

This sounds pretty cool. Is this r4179? Or is it r4297?
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Feb 2013, 11:08

This sounds pretty cool. Is this r4179? Or is it r4297?
Maps don't depend on specific releases of the Remake, unless they use some feature of the Remake that isn't available in older releases. For example maps that use dynamic scripts will not work in the current release, only in the next release (which isn't available yet). There's basically no difference between r4179 and r4297 so his map should work fine with either, although the balance might need to be adjusted a bit.
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 20 Feb 2013, 11:46

You tried to make an optical illusion? Anyway i like the idea, but maybe its better if you pay a bit more attention to the landscape not just one flat area.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Feb 2013, 12:06

I don't really know, but as far as I can see, those red Knights can't go outside the maze..
Never mind.
<<

FransPhoenix

Post 20 Feb 2013, 12:35

You tried to make an optical illusion? Anyway i like the idea, but maybe its better if you pay a bit more attention to the landscape not just one flat area.
... et al.

Thanks for the quick feedback everybody. Elevation and scenery is in progress, so please don't hesitate to give feedback on the balance and I can update this version soon.
--- No player should have knights without pigs: "Young knights were trained to fight by mounting on piggybacks." ---
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 20 Feb 2013, 12:52

I must say the description is great, makes me want to play this map ASAP! Well done writing it :)
I hope the map is as good in terms of balance. Terrain elevation is a good thing to have, but gameplay is the king :)

EDIT: Yes, adding more terrain details and variation (especially in maze) would not hurt ))
The map could also take advantage of new scripts to make warriors in maze stay alive without food
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Feb 2013, 14:15

(...)
Maps don't depend on specific releases of the Remake, unless they use some feature of the Remake that isn't available in older releases. For example maps that use dynamic scripts will not work in the current release, only in the next release (which isn't available yet). There's basically no difference between r4179 and r4297 so his map should work fine with either, although the balance might need to be adjusted a bit.
Okay, thanks.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Debaron

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 21 Feb 2013, 06:10

Looks nice Frans, I'd like to try this out. Do both of us need to have the map in order to play?
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 21 Feb 2013, 10:34

Looks nice Frans, I'd like to try this out. Do both of us need to have the map in order to play?
Yes you do, but its really easy getting the map. Download the file (and unzip it) and place it in mapsMP of your KaM folder.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha

Return to “Map Design”