Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Coastal War

<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 28 Feb 2013, 23:03

Re: The Coastal War

Hey... you still didn't get ride of the crenelations on bridge! They are so ugly :P I like the improvements. Your mountains are looking better, but their edges need to be more rugged.

It's just that bridge, really ;)
Crenelations?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Feb 2013, 23:10

The left and right sides of your bridges don't need those "edge of wall" tiles (compare your bridge's sides to mine or anybody else's bridge if I'm not being clear).
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 01 Mar 2013, 00:29

The left and right sides of your bridges don't need those "edge of wall" tiles (compare your bridge's sides to mine or anybody else's bridge if I'm not being clear).
Fixed :D Also here is the updated map!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 01 Mar 2013, 02:53

Remember that when people use images to show flaws in maps, apply the lesson in the image to the entire map, and not the individual location depicted in the picture. I'm still seeing some randomness in the forests, and some trees that don't belong in the terrain they are placed in. I see many examples of this in the small piece of land to the left of the larger bridge. In my opinion, the only trees that should be placed on dirt are the evergreen trees (although evergreens can be placed in other terrains, such as dirt/grass mix or grass). And the savanna trees (the ones that look like this) should only appear in the yellowish grass.

The sand on the map is looking very lonely. Place some dead shrubs on them. I also think that they should be elevated more so they are "higher" than the water. This gives realism to your map (because why would the ocean suddenly stop if there was no change in elevation?). Also, elevate your water more. This may seem odd, but "hilly" water looks much better. See some TSK maps for tips on water elevation (such as mission 4 TSK)

Keep up the good work! Remember: practice, practice, practice! :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 01 Mar 2013, 08:00

Hey Oleg, a little "trick" I use when I make bridges (I know I haven't released anything, but I'm working on a map): press F11 and move around the upper slider a little so you see dots and lines on the map. This is the amount of elevation. Now take the lift tool, put it on size one, and the speed on about three. This way, you can lift individual tiles very precisely, and you can smoothen the bridge out really well. You can look at the curve in the height lines, and see if it's not too bumpy or asymetrical, and adjust if necessary.
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Map Design”