Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Coastal War

<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 26 Feb 2013, 00:44

The Coastal War

Just a little map I made, still a longshot from being done but this is just the picture, so tell me what you think! :DImage
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 26 Feb 2013, 05:29

Re: The Coastal War

Much, much better than your older maps! :) Still, the roads are too flat (I can easily tell on the area above the bridge that runs parallel to the Y-axis). Also, your mountains appear to be strangely elevated. Some spots are nice-and-tall, but others are downright-flat. Also, don't be afraid to elevate your water more, but make sure that you use at least a size 2 brush. I like using a size 3 or 4.

Keep it up! You are improving fast. :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 26 Feb 2013, 10:46

Well I don´t know your older maps, or just not remember, but this map looks really good at all.

However one big thing, that destroys the whole nice looking, are the bridges :D
Try to load a map from TSK or TPR (TSK07 has a bridge from the side i think) and try to make a bridge, that looks close to them, so what i mean is elevation at the bridge:
(TSK07):

I have fond one other nice picture on the internet (i think also from a post of TDl at this forum:)
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 26 Feb 2013, 20:35

Well heres an update Image
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Feb 2013, 01:56

Is it just my browser, or is the image broken? :p
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 27 Feb 2013, 03:59

Is it just my browser, or is the image broken? :p
Just you
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 27 Feb 2013, 11:17

Little tip: Maybe it's an idea to keep the original post updated, so new posters can see an updated version of the map. ;)

Anyhow, I quite like the layout of your map. This is SP, right? Where are you planning to put stone, or are you going to put stone in the storehouse? The bridge may need some enhancement, but that could be done later.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Feb 2013, 15:55

Little tip: Maybe it's an idea to keep the original post updated, so new posters can see an updated version of the map. ;)
Or he can leave it the way it is so we can all see improvement ;)

Oleg, could you send me your map via PM so I can take a closer look at it?
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 27 Feb 2013, 18:09

Anyhow, I quite like the layout of your map. This is SP, right? Where are you planning to put stone, or are you going to put stone in the storehouse? The bridge may need some enhancement, but that could be done later.
It's a fighting only map. :D
Or he can leave it the way it is so we can all see improvement ;)

Oleg, could you send me your map via PM so I can take a closer look at it?
Sure :D
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 27 Feb 2013, 18:18

It's a fighting only map. :D
Ah, I see. In that case, I think the layout is very fit.
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 27 Feb 2013, 21:32

!!!ATTENTION THIS MAP IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS!!!
After waiting for sometime for an answer from 'The Dark Lord' I decided to say "Froget this" and then I saw Ben's comment and he asked me to send him the map. After looking for a way to send it i couldnt find one and so, here is the map for public use, enjoy! (Give feedback and/or tips for it)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Feb 2013, 22:57

Okay, firstly I shall discuss your bridge. Pawel gave good advice; which you took, but I want you to go to the next level. Here is your updated bridge:

I see that you gave it more "bridge-like" slope; although, you didn't give it enough. The slope needs to continue all the way to the middle of the bridge, where it will then start sloping down. Also there are other things that need to be changed. Firstly, the large, bulky pillars don't look good. Use the small ones that you see in the KaM maps, and they also look good with the "underwater-mountain-side" tiles under them.The ends of the bridges don't need the wall crenelations.

Below are my tweaks to the bridge. It's not perfect, but you should have the idea. Try making yours more similar to that design. Note that the longer bridges (like yours) are much harder to make!

Your mountains are good, but could be better. In the image below, you see an original mountain, and my tweaks to it. As you can see, I made it look less ragged, and gave it a more natural, even slope to it (which looks better in KaM IMHO). However, the sides are more jagged and random. This is good.

Your forests are too random. Some trees don't fit in the terrain they are placed in, and don't look good near their neighbors. Look at The Dark Lord's or Joymainia's forests to get a better idea on how to make them. My edited forest doesn't look great, but it is more suited to KaM.

Your mountain below has some issues. Always make sure that the tiles behind elevated terrain are visible. A rendering qwerk in KaM makes it look very odd if this happens. Also, I changed the side of the mountain too make it look more cliff-like, which looked good here (i.e., it made it look more like the top of a hill/mountain)

KaM doesn't have a wall tile for the inside of corners. Maybe someday a fan will make one that looks good, but until that day, use upside-down corner-tiles. Refer to The Dark Lord's campaign "The New Lands" mission 1 for an excellent source of castle making tips.

That's all for now. I also want to say that you should add a larger variety of objects out there; such as more dead shrubs on the beach instead of so many palm trees and more sticks and stumps in the forests instead of so many rocks and trees.

Anyway, good work, keep it up :)
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 28 Feb 2013, 07:59

That's quite well explained, Ben. These are quite useful tips. I'm thinking I'll use them as well.
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 28 Feb 2013, 21:12

And..........UPDATES YAY!!!
This is what the wall looks like now
The forest (And Mountain)
The Bridge
And the hill
Ok nothing more :D
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Feb 2013, 22:53

Hey... you still didn't get ride of the crenelations on bridge! They are so ugly :P I like the improvements. Your mountains are looking better, but their edges need to be more rugged.

It's just that bridge, really ;)

Return to “Map Design”