Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Map Feedback

<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 07 Mar 2013, 22:45

Map Feedback

Hey all,

Although I have been very interested in the Remake for a long time, it's only recently that I've started playing it extensively, as a friend of mine has also become interested so we've been playing together.

We've tried a few of the co-op maps that ship with the Remake. Some have clearly been better than others. I wondered where would be the most suitable place for me to post some potentially in-depth feedback about the maps that we play? I know that a lot of map authors have their own map threads but I thought perhaps it might help to have all the feedback in one place, since the responsibility of fixing any problems in Remake maps might not necessarily fall on the map author. I say this because, to my understanding, the process of creating maps, controlling their quality and choosing which ones make it into the Remake is something of a collaborative process.

Another concern of mine is that map authors might not be keen on the idea of me publicly criticising their maps!

So I just thought I'd post this here before going into details about specific maps.

Cheers!

Danjb
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 08 Mar 2013, 00:41

Re: Map Feedback

As long as your feedback is constructive nobody can complain about it, and it's helpful to post it.

Some of the TSK coop conversion maps were made by me and not tested thoroughly. The difficulty may also be a bit uneven between maps.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 08 Mar 2013, 06:25

Yeah, I'd say keep that feedback coming. It's always better to have feedback and a little chance of something being done with it, than having no feedback at all, and not knowing what should be changed, right?
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Mar 2013, 20:33

Ok, hopefully I'll find time to post some in-depth feedback in the near future but life is pretty hectic right now.

The main map I wanted to mention was a co-op map called Tropical Dundee.

I like the idea of a small co-op map where you have very limited space, but I wasn't hugely impressed with this map. I'll try and summarize my points but I don't have time to find screenshots:

1) The terrain was very flat in places, looked quite bare
2) The mountains were very square in places
3) There were several places where it looked like I "should" have been able to place an iron / gold mine but couldn't (not sure if that's intentional)
4) The player at the bottom had no iron mountain but loads of coal, the player at the top had loads of iron available but little coal. The player at the bottom started with iron in the storehouse but couldn't build an iron smithy until they had built an iron mine all the way at the top of the map! This all seemed very mixed up. It makes sense in my head that the bottom player should go for leather troops since they're so far from the iron, but there's very little space for farms...
5) Maybe we just had a bad run, but my friend and I lost this map pretty conclusively which makes me think it might not be very balanced.
6) As if the lack of building space wasn't bad enough, there was lots of annoying scenery in the way!

Return to “Map Design”