Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

New Map - Battle of Octumn

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Mar 2013, 02:25

New Map - Battle of Octumn

Inspired by an unreleased map by another KaM enthusiast, Battle of Octumn is a fighting map where you have a small amount of production. This production must be guarded or you will lose. Because of the size of the map, it should not be played with less than six players, but eight would be best.
────────────────────── Update! ──────────────────────
4-2-2013
Version 0.6 has been finished. A list of the fixes/changes are as follows:

Script
Players start with 20 sausage (-10)
Players start with 100 wine (-100)
Players start with 64 iron (-6)
Players start with 6 swords/iron shields (-4)
Players start with 30 bows (+10)
Players start with +15 recruits
By request of Bo - Players start with 35 stone (-65; enough to completely refill 3 towers) EDIT: I forgot that towers were scripted to start with stone; therefore, 6 refills are possible. I don't like it, but I'm not releasing another update for this ;)
Player 3's second weapon smithy has been removed.

Map
By request of Pawel - Many steep tiles have been removed from the map; making troop deployment easier.
By request of Pawel - The Northern bases are now more accessible because of added ramps/removed mountains.
Marsh above player 1's base has some tile changes

Your feedback is considered and appreciated!
Benny Boy

Note: I'm having trouble with the forum's attachment feature, so for now, please just use the link below:
http://www.2shared.com/file/kP2YPI9P/Ba ... ctumn.html

Also, the map in the image provided is outdated (I'm too lazy to upload a screenshot of the new one: visual changes are quite minor).
Last edited by Ben on 03 Apr 2013, 13:51, edited 7 times in total.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Mar 2013, 22:39

Re: New Map - Battle of Octumn

Hey Ben, today we played 3v3 on your map. It was a very exciting game, but just one thing: the victory/defeat conditions. Currently it looks like you lose when all your troops are dead. However, this can be quite frustrating if you have 20 recruits in your barracks ready to be trained. Not sure if you also lose when all your serfs are dead, but if that's the case it's annoying as well. It adds difficulty to the map, because you have to watch out for cavalry sneaking in and killing your serfs or archers sneaking up the rocks and killing your serfs from a distance. So in that way I like it, but the defeat conditions should be mentioned somewhere in the description because now it was just like 'oh he lost'. I'll upload the replay on TS soon so you can take a look.

Edit: I don't have the replay anymore, hopefully Bence can upload or send it to me before it is overwritten. :P
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 24 Mar 2013, 02:43

Hey Ben, today we played 3v3 on your map. It was a very exciting game, but just one thing: the victory/defeat conditions. Currently it looks like you lose when all your troops are dead. However, this can be quite frustrating if you have 20 recruits in your barracks ready to be trained. Not sure if you also lose when all your serfs are dead, but if that's the case it's annoying as well. It adds difficulty to the map, because you have to watch out for cavalry sneaking in and killing your serfs or archers sneaking up the rocks and killing your serfs from a distance. So in that way I like it, but the defeat conditions should be mentioned somewhere in the description because now it was just like 'oh he lost'. I'll upload the replay on TS soon so you can take a look.

Edit: I don't have the replay anymore, hopefully Bence can upload or send it to me before it is overwritten. :P
It's almost disappointing to me that the only map of mine that people play is one that I really don't like :P (Although, I don't like most of my other maps, either!). I honestly put almost no work into this map, but I'm glad that you like it. I'll fix the victory conditions if/when I update this. I don't think you lose if all your serfs die, but if that's the case, I'm not going to change it; in fact, I'd like that. That way, you don't need to go through the pain of destroying buildings to actually win (most players quit when it is gg anyway, but you know what I mean.)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Apr 2013, 08:02

This map has been updated (See the first post)! Please let me know what you think, and save any replays you wish to show me.
Have fun, and battle hard! :)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 03 Apr 2013, 11:07

Hey "Benny Boy"^^,

nice to see an update of this nice map.
It will be funny for sure to test it more often.

Not really to the map, more in general map scripting:
You scripted wares automaticly to the houses, like ironbars and coal to the smithies. Wouldn´t it be possible to script also the food automaticly to the inn :D I mean it´s nothing important, but your serfs would start faster to bring the important things to the houses?
Also about the recruits,do you know if sth. like that is possible. I dont say you should do this(maybe you have extra not scripted it), I´m just asking if you know a way to do this :D

Ah and one other thing. I saw that Lewin and Krom will add the possibility for briefings in multiplayer maps, which is quit useful.
When this feature will be ready to use it, I would (from Ben´s point of view) make a small briefing maybe at the start of the game like:
"Look at your soldiers, when no Soldier is left, your death is close" :mrgreen: or sth like that, because I saw many guys failed with that (they had more recruits in barracks) and so we needed to rehost the game :wink:

pawel95
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Apr 2013, 12:49

You scripted wares automaticly to the houses, like ironbars and coal to the smithies. Wouldn´t it be possible to script also the food automaticly to the inn :D I mean it´s nothing important, but your serfs would start faster to bring the important things to the houses?
If the inn was full, than your serfs wouldn't have anything to do, and they will just sit around until some weapons are made. Personally, I hate the look of a dozen serfs standing in formation with nothing to do (In KaM, starting citizens will look diagonally, and that looks more "natural" to me. In the Remake, starting citizens will look straight ahead, and I'm not used to that.). Short answer is: Yes, it is possible, but I decided to leave it out because I wanted to give your serfs something to do at the start. This goes the same for why one of your weapon workshops doesn't have any timber at the start.
Also about the recruits,do you know if sth. like that is possible. I dont say you should do this(maybe you have extra not scripted it), I´m just asking if you know a way to do this :D
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if it is possible to add recruits to the barracks at the start? I'm not sure what is possible with all the new scripting, but with the basic KaM code, it is not possible. If dynamic scripting allows this, than I will certainly change it.
Ah and one other thing. I saw that Lewin and Krom will add the possibility for briefings in multiplayer maps, which is quit useful.
When this feature will be ready to use it, I would (from Ben´s point of view) make a small briefing maybe at the start of the game like:
"Look at your soldiers, when no Soldier is left, your death is close" :mrgreen: or sth like that, because I saw many guys failed with that (they had more recruits in barracks) and so we needed to rehost the game :wink:
Pizza is notorious for this :P
Yeah, this happens to a lot of players. Again, with the Remakes standard code, it isn't possible (as far as I know) for buildings maps to have a goal to destroy buildings. This will be fixed once I figure out how to do it with dynamic scripting.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 03 Apr 2013, 14:16

The problem with the victory conditions is that currently the Remake does multiplayer goals automatically. On building maps you must destroy important buildings of enemies, on fighting maps you must destroy troops. Goals in the .dat script are completely ignored. The reason for this is that maps can be played in many different team arrangements and there's no way in .dat script to say "you must destroy enemy troops", you can just say "you must destroy troops belonging to location 3" which isn't much help when location 3 could be an enemy or an ally.

In the next release you can set your map to be a "special" map which puts it in a separate category like coop is (this category is designed for stuff like Tower Defence, King of the Hill, etc. which do not really fit as either building, fighting or coop. Your map fits that description quite well). "Special" missions do not get goals defined automatically, the map maker must do his own goals, either in .dat script or the new dynamic script (which lets you check alliances and stuff).

Return to “Map Design”