Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Map & Mission Editor

<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Mar 2013, 17:57

Map & Mission Editor

For some reason, (I made a map with Krom's Map Editor) and Lewin's mission editor detects it, but when I choose the map, it says it loads it then all there is, well, is black. Not my map. I tried correcting the directory and everything, I just don't know what's causing the problem.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 17 Mar 2013, 18:12

Re: Map & Mission Editor

Where do you open the map, KaM or KaM Remake? Did you set FOW revealers?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

Post 17 Mar 2013, 22:38

Where do you open the map, KaM or KaM Remake? Did you set FOW revealers?
KaM

No, I did not. Should I?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 18 Mar 2013, 05:41

KaM is quite picky about that sort of things. E.g. I read that if you place a house in a place covered by FOW the house won't be placed at all.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Mar 2013, 05:59

Purple Knight, I'm having a hard time understanding you, but are you seeing a blank, black map in the game, or in Kroms editor?
If it is the latter, I can't help, because I don't know of such a thing with the editor, but for the in-game, then I can definitely help.

As Krom said, you need to place the !CLEAR_UP commands near buildings in order for them to appear in KaM. I.e., buildings won't appear if they are partly covered by unexplored territory. Why this is I don't really know, but it might have something to do with it being impossible to place building plans in unexplored areas. Note that only the human player buildings need the revealers. Ai buildings will work just fine.

A quick and easy way to see if this is what is causing the bug is to add the !CLEAR_UP_255 command (or "Clear All" as Lewin calls it) anywhere underneath the first line of code in the mission script. (Again, you can just toggle this on with the GUI if you use that handy tool ;)). Start your mission. If the buildings appear now, then the map revealers are the problem. If they still don't appear, then check the terrain. On one of my first maps, I was using unbuildable terrain as the ground underneath the human's starting base :P
If neither one of these works, then you are having one weird problem. The only solution now are to
1) Ask Lewin and he will magically make it work when my attempts fail (this option usually works)
or
2) Send the files to Ben and let him look at them
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

Post 18 Mar 2013, 14:09

Purple Knight, I'm having a hard time understanding you, but are you seeing a blank, black map in the game, or in Kroms editor?
If it is the latter, I can't help, because I don't know of such a thing with the editor, but for the in-game, then I can definitely help.

As Krom said, you need to place the !CLEAR_UP commands near buildings in order for them to appear in KaM. I.e., buildings won't appear if they are partly covered by unexplored territory. Why this is I don't really know, but it might have something to do with it being impossible to place building plans in unexplored areas. Note that only the human player buildings need the revealers. Ai buildings will work just fine.

A quick and easy way to see if this is what is causing the bug is to add the !CLEAR_UP_255 command (or "Clear All" as Lewin calls it) anywhere underneath the first line of code in the mission script. (Again, you can just toggle this on with the GUI if you use that handy tool ;)). Start your mission. If the buildings appear now, then the map revealers are the problem. If they still don't appear, then check the terrain. On one of my first maps, I was using unbuildable terrain as the ground underneath the human's starting base :P
If neither one of these works, then you are having one weird problem. The only solution now are to
1) Ask Lewin and he will magically make it work when my attempts fail (this option usually works)
or
2) Send the files to Ben and let him look at them

Nothing to do with buildings of any sort, and I'm talking about Lewin's mission editor, when I load a map I made on Krom's map editor, it's just black. No map, blank, black map. But, when I load it on Krom's map editor, I can see the map perfectly. There under the same directory.
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Mar 2013, 19:03

I think I get what the problem is. PurpleKnight, Lewin's mission editor won't open a map correctly if it has "space" in its name. E.g.: if the map's name is "My New Map.map", Lewin's editor will open it like you described (I mean that no map is there, just everything is black). Set it to "MyNewMap.map", and it will work. I hope I helped.
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

Post 18 Mar 2013, 19:48

I think I get what the problem is. PurpleKnight, Lewin's mission editor won't open a map correctly if it has "space" in its name. E.g.: if the map's name is "My New Map.map", Lewin's editor will open it like you described (I mean that no map is there, just everything is black). Set it to "MyNewMap.map", and it will work. I hope I helped.
Thanks Bence, this was.. some what the problem. It's on me.

I had created a folder of which the campaign name was "A Bandits Story", so I named the folder of which I stored the map in, "A Bandits Story."

The problem wasn't the map, named 'PE', it was the folder it was located in. Thanks for the help, Bence.

Return to “Map Design”