Western Desert 6p

<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Mar 2013, 15:10

Western Desert 6p

Hello,

Started working on the basics some months ago (when there was actually a demand for new 6p maps) I recently found the time to finish it. This map has been tested several times online and this is the 3rd version already. I wanted to create a map that is pretty hard to play so starting food is lower then on Across the Desert (which is considered to be a hard map) for example. The reason behind it is to make it alot harder to go for a do or die strategy (where feeding your citizens is not really important). In other words, armies after peacetime are smaller. It's not that slow since I scripted the prebuild of the stonemason and woodcutter. The player in the center can only be reached by going through the base of his allies on the left or rightside so are perfect supportlocations. These supportlocations have small entrances to their base so can't build towers. Here is a picture of the map:

Starting resources for all players:

The resources on the map itself are the same for all players:
999 stone
900 coal
300 goldore
300 ironore
same amount of trees

On this map I've created 2 hidden spectatorlocations. So if you choose loc 7 or 8 the whole map is revealed for you from the start. Ideal for players who want to learn some different buildorders. I've also made it impossible for players to scout the enemy base with builders before peacetime (they can't move across the desert in the middle).

Thanks to the players who tested this map with me so far and Ben for providing me some suggestions to polish this map. More suggestions are always welcome of course.

Downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/?s3e4xkuu2o30ue3

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 19 Mar 2013, 17:17

Re: Western Desert 6p

Awesome looking map, eager to play it. :)
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 19 Mar 2013, 17:56

Indeed is an interesting map, however the starting resources are "higher" than the version I tried -> 1st update.
There you had 50 chests, 50 stone, 50 timber, 40 wine, 30 bread, 20 fish, 10 sausages.

Now I see +5 for all foods, +10 stone, +10 chests.

My point of view is that all players should get used to playing with less start resources.
I'm only suggesting to keep the "hard" level it had in previous versions.

Of course I will still play this greatly designed map... tough sadly isn't "hard" anymore, but more like "normal" difficulty.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

PurpleKnight

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 19 Mar 2013, 18:01

Indeed is an interesting map, however the starting resources are "higher" than the version I tried -> 1st update.
There you had 50 chests, 50 stone, 50 timber, 40 wine, 30 bread, 20 fish, 10 sausages.

Now I see +5 for all foods, +10 stone, +10 chests.

My point of view is that players should get used to playing with less start resources.
I'm only suggesting to keep the "hard" level it had in previous versions.

Of course I will still play this greatly designed map... tough isn't "hard" anymore, but more like "normal" difficulty.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, we need more maps and missions to be more welcoming towards new KaM players for the community to thrive. :)

But regardless, I see your point.
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 19 Mar 2013, 18:41

Nice map, I think it was enough the lower resources. It was a speciality of the map. GC used to be the hardest, but this is much harder with low resources. The added wares are not too significant i think. But the best would be a difficulty selector in the lobby.
Last edited by kocsis1david on 19 Mar 2013, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Mar 2013, 18:59

Nice map, I think it was enough the lower resources. It was a speciality of the map. GC used to be the hardest, but this is much harder with low resources. The added wares are not too significant though i think. But the best would be a difficulty selector in the lobby.
A difficulty slider would be neat for some maps, but I think that overall it is not needed. Personally, I like the original harder setting for the starting resources.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 19 Mar 2013, 19:06

I'm for the harder version too. But the less good players wouldn't like it much. With a difficulty slider some maps could be played with a different strategy, disallowing market, etc. and still wouldn't mean that only good players can play it. But you're right, it's not a major problem.
Last edited by kocsis1david on 19 Mar 2013, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 19 Mar 2013, 19:17

I'm for the harder version too. But the less good players wouldn't like it much.
In this case, they should simply suggest/vote for choosing another map.

We all need options. I'm quite tired of seeing another hard map "converted" to fit the neccesities of new comers.
There is nothing really hardcore in Remake. The hardest map that comes to my mind is still "Horseshoe".

Again, I repeat... excellent map (+observers), but it's a pity the increase of more and more resources at storehouse.
It makes Western Desert to lose a part of its original singularity.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 19 Mar 2013, 19:22

It makes Western Desert to lose a part of its original singularity.
Agree.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Mar 2013, 00:38

I'm for the harder version too. But the less good players wouldn't like it much. With a difficulty slider some maps could be played with a different strategy, disallowing market, etc. and still wouldn't mean that only good players can play it. But you're right, it's not a major problem.
I think starting food is still hardest of all maps I play/know. I can script less food of course but I know alot of player have some real problems with that. It's not that I made a map for all players to like. Because in the public release most players like to play with many starting resources and rather play a camping-style for instance.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 21 Mar 2013, 21:19

4th update available. Only moved storehouse for loc 1 closer to the gold and storehouse for loc 3 closer to the iron.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5d5he581t8k3lm8
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Mar 2013, 12:52

Hey To,
Seems like a challenging map. It looks pretty nice, but there are two things I don't like:
- You blocked entrances with stones and plants. It's effective, but I think it's a cheap way.
- Coal and stone. The coal fields themselves aren't the problem, nor are the stone mountains; but the dirt and grass around them almost follow the exact shape of the coal field/stone mountain and it looks artificial. The coal field in the north-east is probably the best example. I think it wouldn't hurt to let the grass (and dirt) have some 'tendrils'.
Looking forward to play it, finally a different desert-themed map. :P
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Mar 2013, 15:49

- You blocked entrances with stones and plants. It's effective, but I think it's a cheap way.
Hmmmmmmm........

:D
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Mar 2013, 15:51

Yeah I'm guilty too, I'm well aware. But it's been a long time since TNL. Try to find those in my more recent maps. ;)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Mar 2013, 17:04

Yeah I'm guilty too, I'm well aware. But it's been a long time since TNL. Try to find those in my more recent maps. ;)
Yeah, I know. I was just teasing you :)

Looking at my For King and Country maps, I've changed my style (for the better), too. It is a shame that I've so few released maps that show my potential...

Return to “Map Design”