Drastic Measures 8p

<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Apr 2013, 13:26

Drastic Measures 8p

Hello kammers,

I've had some new ideas for another 8p map so here I present my latest creation:

Some unique characteristics for this map include:
- Fairly small locations (map is even smaller than GC), so it should be a challenge to carefully plan how to build your base.
- To add some variety to building the resources are scattered around your starting location so different buildorders can be used.
- Iron is easy to get but isn't fixed in one place (WitW style)
- Can be played top vs bottom or left vs right.

Here some more pictures:
Loc 1/2:

Loc 3/4:

Loc 5/6:

Loc 7/8:

Downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/?psz525t76xbxx9r

Let me know what you think,

To
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

BloodTree

Barbarian

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Apr 2013, 13:55

Re: Drastic Measures 8p

Seems To want The Dark Lord`s place :D
Map looks really Cool there are enough wood. Some loc are harder then other coz far coal but they are balanced and that`s good.
I really like how look` grass.
Downloaded map but seems you forget put loc for players. Can`t test it yet.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Apr 2013, 15:17

Amazing work as always To! :)
Let me know when you've written the story so I can add it to the Remake. The map name has already made me curious about the story.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 13 Apr 2013, 17:24

Oh no, a Thunder-style map from To... I'm going to mess up there even more than on TFF! :D Nice job, I'll surely test it to see if my predictions are right :)
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Apr 2013, 17:35

I like the way it looks, very nice map indeed! :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Apr 2013, 18:01

Hi!
It's a perfect To's style.
The first thing what i thought at first sight 'Little TFF' ;)
You really used well the space. Smaller than GC and still enough space for building. I hope the fighting area at the centre wont be too little. I see it, massive 30-40 mins fighting will be there:) (it is going with little fighting space:))

Anyway i like it!
Nice Map!
Grat!
t
<<

Chris

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 13 Apr 2013, 20:14

Yea he put quite some work into this, as usual. Haven't played it yet, but seems like a nice addition to the to maps.
The clown formerly known as Fu
<<

Romek

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 Apr 2013, 22:31

That map looks very nice but it is not map for 8P for sure. There is no space for army and fights. It will be like one big army stuck - camp wars.
In my opinion map will be perfect for 4P or mby 6P but then it need some modifications.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Apr 2013, 22:42

Woah! That is one gorgeous map! I spent a long time looking at it, but I seriously can't find any major aesthetical flaws. The only two things I saw were
1) the coal. I noticed that you barely used the thinnest coal tile, which makes the transition look poorer. Your coal already looks very good on this map so I think that it is a shame that you didn't capitalize on making it "perfect."
2) This mountain: Image
I don't like the objects on top of the rock (although I'm guessing that the dead shrub was placed there to hide a "sharp tile."). Also, the very steep "ravines" in the mountain look pretty bad in KaM in my opinion. Finally, in the left side of the mountain (the smaller part below the water) you can see some elevated terrain that overlaps the back. I think that it would look better if you could see the back of the mountain, but I understand how you feel about water touching mountains ;)

This is just me being super picky, but your maps deserve it! They can't receive any kind of feedback that isn't "super specific" :P

I really like being able to gather resources in different directions. Quite recently, I was working on a map with this same idea.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 14 Apr 2013, 02:30

Thanks for the kind words people. It's really helpfull, especially from other mapmakers.
I noticed that you barely used the thinnest coal tile, which makes the transition look poorer.
I did it on purpose, ignoring thinnest coal since Western Desert. I think it's really annoying to build coalmines on that shallow coal and it also takes more space. Besides that, I don't think it looks that bad without it.
Smaller than GC and still enough space for building. I hope the fighting area at the centre wont be too little. I see it, massive 30-40 mins fighting will be there:) (it is going with little fighting space:))
I tested all locs singleplayer (with exception of 6 and 7) to see if it has enough buildingspace, I didn't see any problems sofar. Ofcourse there is no space for 15 farms but nobody builds that amount of farms nowdays when swords own the battlefield. Battle space is another story, I can't tell since it couldn't be tested in multiplayer yet. I think a diamand shaped centerfront of roughly 70 x 70 width should be enough space to have some decent battles. Besides that, the players in the top and bottom have their own entrances to guard so I like to test it first. BTW About large armies, I'm not sure if it's possible to have a large army on this map. Since iron is scattered around the map and starting food is simular to the harder maps out there. Also it's pretty hard to dig in with towers completely so camping is possible but should be harder than on other maps, atleast that's the way I designed it. But again, we should test this to find out.
The map name has already made me curious about the story.
Hehe, making stories up (which normally took me some hours at least) is no longer a concern for me since my favorite american fellow kam proplayer (and devoted storyteller, so I've been told) has kindly offered me his humble services. So my eyes are fixed on him to create this magnificent story.
Downloaded map but seems you forget put loc for players. Can`t test it yet.
Euhm yes, you are right, for some reason I can't pick any locs when I want to play this map in the latest beta. In the older version it's no problem however.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Apr 2013, 02:38

Euhm yes, you are right, for some reason I can't pick any locs when I want to play this map in the latest beta. In the older version it's no problem however.
You need to put !SET_USER_PLAYER for all of the locations which are usable by humans. You could also open it up in the RC editor and set the player type to human (under global scripting) for all of the locations, then save it.
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 04 May 2013, 13:18

ok fixed the human player setting and it also has a magnificient story now: http://www.mediafire.com/?psz525t76xbxx9r
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 May 2013, 14:14

I added it to the Remake :) Let us know if you do any updates.

Return to “Map Design”