Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Most effective multiplayer strategy

<<

Daniel

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 03 Sep 2013, 10:53

Most effective multiplayer strategy

What is the most effective general multiplayer strategy? What build order, what food production etc
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Sep 2013, 12:06

Re: Most effective multiplayer strategy

sausages main food, add some fish or bread

bowmen + swords are the best
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Sep 2013, 13:28

Build orders are not very easy to explain in Knights and Merchants. Unlike Age of Kings, for example, where the maps are all very similar (with minor differences), maps in Knights and Merchants will greatly determine how to play. This inconsistency is why players must practice often in order to truly understand the game's economy in accordance with what resources are given and available at the start of a game.

The strongest unit combination, like dicsoupcan said, is swordfighters and bowmen. I'll give you my strategy that I use to make that army, but keep in mind that it changes slightly depending on the map, and to compensate for my many mistakes. For example, on the most popular map, Cursed Ravine, you start with only 50 timber. I would construct a 2nd woodcutter and a 2nd sawmill slightly earlier there then on maps where you start with more than 50 timber.
My strategy:

Phase 1: Block all wares in the storehouse except for food, gold, corn, pigs, and maybe iron ore. Give the school a hotkey once it is built. Train 2 laborers then 4 serfs. Then train 1 serf -> 1 laborer combination (of course, making room for other citizens, such as farmers woodcutters, etc., when needed). A woodcutter must be built as fast as possible so it is built first. Once the woodcutter is built, I build 2-4 quarries depending on how many stones I have left in the storehouse. If I have 40, then only build two. If I have 30, then I build three, 20 then four. (Five quarries are only needed if gold is very far away and few stones are given at start.) While my quarries are being built, the sawmill must also be built (make the sawmill as fast as possible). Also, extra laborers should be making a road towards the gold. Once the sawmill blueprint is placed, I make a 3 serf -> one laborer combo in the school. Phase summery: build sawmill as fast as possible

Phase 2:
Once my sawmill is built, make another 1-2 woodcutters. I build a farm in a way so that the road for the farms is heading in the direction of either my gold or iron (to save time); preferably gold. Also, make a road to the iron if needed. If I'm at the gold already, then I build a gold mine+coal mine before the farm (still make the farm if extra laborers are available). make another 1-2 woodcutters. At some point, you will reach =<15 timber. Build another sawmill at this point. Phase summery: Build a gold mine, farm, and iron mine as fast as possible. You should have about 35 serfs and 18 laborers at the end of this phase.

Phase 3a:
If you have 15 or more gold, then the second goldmine + metallurgist can wait. Build a iron smelter quickly. Once the iron smelter is done, build an armory smithy. Once the armory smithy is done, build another iron mine, another iron smithy, a weapon smithy, and another armory smithy. Build a 3rd iron mine and iron smithy once all that is done. Build a 4th iron mine 5-10 minutes after the 3rd if possible.
Phase 3b:
During the iron production, you should also be focused on food and leather production at the same time. Phase 3a and 3b and 3c should be done at the same time.
Build a 2nd farm. Once the corn is almost ready to cut, build a swine farm. Build a 3rd farm. After, build a 2nd swine farm. Depending on how much food you have, build fisherman huts as needed and as practical (don't make three fishermen for 60 fish, for example). If there is not enough fish, then I build a 4th farm and mill + bakery. Once the first pig is killed, build a tannery. A butcher should be built once needed. Once the tannery is built, build a armory workshop, and another after that. Build enough farms for three swine farms (6 if no mill, seven is a mill is needed). A 4th swine farm and 7-8 farms can be built if there is enough peacetime left.

Phase 3c:
Your wood production should reach at least 8 woodcutters at the end of your base building; 10 is much better, though. Once you reach 6 woodcutters that are almost ready to cut, build a 3rd sawmill. Once the third sawmill is built, build a weapons workshop if you have timber to spare. Make only bows but switch to axes if you won't have enough leather + have extra gold. At 7 woodcutters, build a 4th sawmill and 2nd weapons workshop. A 5th sawmill and 3-4 weapons workshops are very nice for lategame spam.
Phase summery: Get weapon production. Keep in mind that you should have at least one coal mine per building that uses coal. Don't run out of gold, food, or timber either. Make a barracks and 2nd school, and towers once needed. Also, remember to build 5-6 quarries if you start running low on stone.

That was a lot of writing...I said more than I wanted to. But keep in mind that the best way to learn is to watch replays of the best players, and actually play yourself :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Daniel

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:04

Thanks for the long reply, I have a few follow up questions.

1) Why block wares to the storehouse? Isnt that limiting yourself as you can't save anything up? For eample if you block timber the only tiber you have is coming directly from the sawmills?

2) Is leather production more important than iron? Considering you can produce unlimited leather troop and limited iron troops?

3) Do you have any advice on the best ratios to use for certain buildings? For example how many woodcutters to sawmills , and how swine farms to tanneries etc? I'm just looking for a simple list to help me.

Thanks
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:09

Thanks for the long reply, I have a few follow up questions.

1) Why block wares to the storehouse? Isnt that limiting yourself as you can't save anything up? For eample if you block timber the only tiber you have is coming directly from the sawmills?

2) Is leather production more important than iron? Considering you can produce unlimited leather troop and limited iron troops?

3) Do you have any advice on the best ratios to use for certain buildings? For example how many woodcutters to sawmills , and how swine farms to tanneries etc? I'm just looking for a simple list to help me.

Thanks

well....

1) the wares you wnt to store are gong to be used in production chains anyway (with food being the exception). blocking those wares results in needing less serfs and traffic jams.

2) leather is just as important as iron, and you can easily set up a leather production next to an iron one in 60 minutes peacetime. and we all know that leather > militia.

3) 2 woodcutters = 1 sawmill
total amount of coal needing buildings (iron/goldsmelter + smitties ) = amount of coalmines +1
1,5 farms per pigfarm (might not be 100% accurate)
15 fields per farm
9 winetiles per wineyard
1 sawmill = 1 weaponmaker ?
3 pigfarms = 1 tannery = 1 butcher
1 tannery = 2 armory workshops (only jackets) or 3 armory workshops ( jackets + shields)

for more building hints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ltu2bxycg
Last edited by dicsoupcan on 03 Sep 2013, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:22

One simple rhetorical question can answer that: What good is that timber doing when it is being stored in the storehouse? ;) Disco's points were also good.

Disco, I don't think your sawmill -> weapon maker ratio is correct. Weapon's workshops can produce weapons faster than a sawmill produces timber so It has to be less than 1:1.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:27

really now? that is weird, on 1:1 ratio i always have supplied weaponmakers. i only build one extra so i can keep building without having my weaponproduction suffer.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:28

Maybe you had better go check up on that, because I could be wrong ("not big surprise"). I'd do it now, but I don't have the Remake with me.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 03 Sep 2013, 17:35

well revo told me that ratio and i am not doubting him in that, but it is still worth testing.
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 03 Sep 2013, 19:13

well revo told me that ratio and i am not doubting him in that, but it is still worth testing.
Revo didn't say that about weaponmakers, my town never have/had more weaponmakers than sawmills.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 03 Sep 2013, 19:14

Revo didn't say that about weaponmakers, my town never have/had more weaponmakers than sawmills.
very well, i shall slap myself in the face and correct it then.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 03 Sep 2013, 20:30

Hey!
Yes. In the early games this sword bow combo is the best. While?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Sep 2013, 20:49

Tested it. I was wrong, too, Disco. A sawmill works just as fast as a weapons workshop. Therefore, the correct ratio is 1:1 :)

Return to “General / Questions”