Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

very old game

<<

kamfan

Laborer

Post 25 Sep 2008, 18:36

very old game

There is a game from 1995. It's called War Wind. I Think its less known then might an magic, but maybe someone knows about it. I liked playing this over and over, endless nights, it was fantastic.

a editor does exist, unfortunately i never learned its use. whatever, its for win 95, so this wont work on win xp. windows xp has one compatility - modus, with this you can play war wind. but it works not fine, the game is a mess of a slow down from the beginning. so i searched a while and found fan made patches. after installing, the game works fine for 5 minutes. then the same as before, a slow down what makes the whole situation unplayable.

i wish i could play this on xp without slowdowns. back then for years on my win 98, there were many crashed but no slowdons though :?

i could tell you about my hardware infos, but i'll wait and look if someone can help or even know war wind :wink:

so far
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 25 Sep 2008, 19:51

I don't know this game, I can't test that solution but you can try runnung it inside virtual machine (such as VMware or Microsoft Virtual PC - VirtualBox doesn't support Windows 98, 95 and ME fully - no drivers). Some games may work correctly there, some too slow, some too fast, and sometimes sound is laggy or has worse quality). But try this.
<<

kamfan

Laborer

Post 25 Sep 2008, 22:15

thank you for the tipp.
so does it mean that VirtualBox is a mainprogramm within Windows XP?
maybe this i have tested already.. i dont know.

VMware sounds like its a linux only.
Can i download VMware or Microsoft Virtual PC then from google or any?
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 26 Sep 2008, 12:56

VirtualBox is not a Windows built-in program (it's also partially open-source).

VMware has some types of software. You can try:
Server - free
or
Workstation - 30-day trial

There are both Windows and Linux versions.

There are some differencies, sometimes Server version doesn't support some graphical accelerations etc (at least Worms don't work there).

Get it from here. You need to register (but it's free).

MS Virtual PC: get it from here.
It works on Windows. I can't say anything more about it, as I haven't used it yet.

Virtualbox is disqualified at start - you need to run Windows 95 or 98, there are NO additions for that OSes, you'll have up to 800*600@16 colours.

You'll also need your Windows CD to install it inside virtual machine.
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 02 Mar 2011, 09:12

Is this game a DOS-game? If it is, you can play it with DOSBox. Much better and easier way than running the game on a virtual computer. Install the program, create a directory for your DOS-games, mount the directory and play.

If the game isn't a DOS-game, then DOSBox can't run it.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 28 Jun 2012, 08:57

Re: very old game

I never played it, however I do know "War Wind" was revolutionary for his time...
I'm referring to the first one, not the sequel which adds humans.

It was pioneer in creating specific schemes, allowing players to take "this or that" alien race (own strenght and weakness) -> feature which now is so popular in fantasy RTS like Starcraft and Warcraft.

Return to “Other Games”